The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

Perhaps this has been answered before, but it's a nagging question in my head..

In GoT, the prologue, why is Ser Waymar Royce leading the ranging when it is made clear that he is fairly new and that Gared has been around for awhile. If, in the NW, you are promoted through the ranks, not due to brith right but merit, wouldn't Gared be leading the ranging?

They gave him command because they 'didn't want to offend his lord father.' Even though in the Watch you get what you earn they have a shortage of lordlings who are groomed for command and trained at arms so they don't want to scare others off.

Does Theon still smell? Barbary Ryswell remarks that he stinks at the end of ADWD chapter 32, but there's no indication in any of the subsequent Theon chapters when he's sitting next to people at dinner that he still smells.

He is washed by Lady Dustin, and made presentable to give away "Arya Stark" in marriage to Ramsay.

I'm looking for the quote where Littlefinger explains to Sansa it was the QoT who put the poisoned Joff. Either the full quote or where its at would be most useful.

Thanks in advance!

It;s not there IIRC. Dontos gives the closest thing we have to a hint.

What's the matter with Boros?

He is looking fatter and pastier. Maybe this should be in a crackpottery thread.

Possibilities: He isnt getting his exercise in the yard bc he is all depressed about his disgrace and demotion.

He cant be eating too much just from being a food taster bc Tommen eats way more than he would. Maybe he is spending too much time in the kitchens and dining area.

OR (crackpottery alert) he is being slowly poisoned by tasting the food. Problem: Wouldnt Tommen also be slowly poisoned - he is also getting a bigger dose? Yes, maybe he is more resistant, being a child. Seems unlikely.

Heart failure? Probably.

What's the matter with Boros?

He is looking fatter and pastier. Maybe this should be in a crackpottery thread.

Possibilities: He isnt getting his exercise in the yard bc he is all depressed about his disgrace and demotion.

He cant be eating too much just from being a food taster bc Tommen eats way more than he would. Maybe he is spending too much time in the kitchens and dining area.

OR (crackpottery alert) he is being slowly poisoned by tasting the food. Problem: Wouldnt Tommen also be slowly poisoned - he is also getting a bigger dose? Yes, maybe he is more resistant, being a child. Seems unlikely.

Heart failure? Probably.

Mind you that I love crackpottery, it helps us all be creative and fills our time, but:

He's not getting enough exercise, because, you, know, he's a lazy prick ( he wasn't supposed to be in KG all the way).

Royal figures are having massive feasts, I've read food descriptions when I was hungry, and I was drooling at some points, but when I was not, it seemed like, "Man, how the fuck are they eating that much without becoming fat"? Warriors and knights that have everyday most of the day exercise - OK, but the other lords/ladies?

So I think those combined with him having to taste every single meal (we know that they not only eat a lot, but a lot of different meals) is quite enough :D

I'm looking for the quote where Littlefinger explains to Sansa it was the QoT who put the poisoned Joff. Either the full quote or where its at would be most useful.

Thanks in advance!

Petyr smiled. “I will wager you that at some point during the evening someone told you that your hair net was crooked and straightened it for you.”

Sansa raised a hand to her mouth. “You cannot mean… she wanted to take me to Highgarden, to marry me to her grandson…”

What did Robert Baratheon use in the training yard? He really couldnt use a warhammer to train with considering what they do to armour and Roberts strength.

Did he use a blunted sword? That seems like it wouldnt do much to help his skill with the warhammer. He also seems like he would be a very good swordmen but that is never mentioned.

Can Wights survive in the warmth? Can you catch them "alive", bring them to KL to show the King that the threat is real?

Well, Mormont did send Alliser Thorne with a wight hand in a jar to KL but by the time he got his audience with the crown the hand had rotted away completely and no one took him seriously. Not really sure if that answers your question though...I think it really depends on if the Others can control the Wights from so far away since they're the only thing keeping them moving and not being, you know, dead. Like, for real dead.

Well, Mormont did send Alliser Thorne with a wight hand in a jar to KL but by the time he got his audience with the crown the hand had rotted away completely and no one took him seriously. Not really sure if that answers your question though...I think it really depends on if the Others can control the Wights from so far away since they're the only thing keeping them moving and not being, you know, dead. Like, for real dead.

No, it's a different situation. The hand Thorne takes to KL had already been de-wightified, that's why it rotted. We haven't seen an actual wight south of Wall yet.

What did Robert Baratheon use in the training yard? He really couldnt use a warhammer to train with considering what they do to armour and Roberts strength.

Did he use a blunted sword? That seems like it wouldnt do much to help his skill with the warhammer. He also seems like he would be a very good swordmen but that is never mentioned.

Presume a blunted warhammer made of something softer?

Presume a blunted warhammer made of something softer?

Would have to be wood, most metal is going to destroy armour. I know there is no definate answer, but it struck me the other day when I read the passage about him sparring on Greenstone.

In AFFC, Brienne VIII pg. 636 (hardcover/large paperback) just after Brienne and Thoros end their conversation when Thoros hears Lem and others coming to fetch Brienne for Lady Stoneheart. The following is written:

"Brienne heard footsteps and saw torchlight flickering in the passage. 'You told me she had gone to Fairmarket.'

'And so she had. She returned whilst we were sleeping. She never sleeps herself.'"

Who's saying "You told me she had gone to Fairmarket." here? It can't be Brienne, as no one told her Stoneheart was in Fairmarket, nor her whereabouts anywhere....

I assume it's one of the Brothers coming through the passage into the makeshift dungeon, addressing Thoros. Thoros is then the one who responds, "And so she had. She returned whilst we were sleeping. She never sleeps herself."

Any thoughts. Stuff like this bug the shit out of me. I'm on my reread and I know this bothered me the first time I read it too. The writing is kind of sloppy, which is odd for GRRM...

Archived