The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

In AFFC, Brienne VIII pg. 636 (hardcover/large paperback) just after Brienne and Thoros end their conversation when Thoros hears Lem and others coming to fetch Brienne for Lady Stoneheart. The following is written:

Is it written in invisible ink? :P

In AFFC, Brienne VIII pg. 636 (hardcover/large paperback) just after Brienne and Thoros end their conversation when Thoros hears Lem and others coming to fetch Brienne for Lady Stoneheart. The following is written:

"Brienne heard footsteps and saw torchlight flickering in the passage. 'You told me she had gone to Fairmarket.'

'And so she had. She returned whilst we were sleeping. She never sleeps herself.'"

Who's saying "You told me she had gone to Fairmarket." here? It can't be Brienne, as no one told her Stoneheart was in Fairmarket, nor her whereabouts anywhere....

I assume it's one of the Brothers coming through the passage into the makeshift dungeon, addressing Thoros. Thoros is then the one who responds, "And so she had. She returned whilst we were sleeping. She never sleeps herself."

Any thoughts. Stuff like this bug the shit out of me. I'm on my reread and I know this bothered me the first time I read it too. The writing is kind of sloppy, which is odd for GRRM...

"Brienne heard footsteps and saw torchlight flickering in the passage. 'You told me she had gone to Fairmarket.'

'And so she had. She returned whilst we were sleeping. She never sleeps herself.'"

Who's saying "You told me she had gone to Fairmarket." here? It can't be Brienne, as no one told her Stoneheart was in Fairmarket, nor her whereabouts anywhere....

I assume it's one of the Brothers coming through the passage into the makeshift dungeon, addressing Thoros. Thoros is then the one who responds, "And so she had. She returned whilst we were sleeping. She never sleeps herself."

Any thoughts. Stuff like this bug the shit out of me. I'm on my reread and I know this bothered me the first time I read it too. The writing is kind of sloppy, which is odd for GRRM...

It is Brienne speaking, no doubts about it. There are no other mentions to Fairmarket in book apart from two by Jaime. Explanation? The reader didn't see when Thoros told her that.

It is Brienne speaking, no doubts about it. There are no other mentions to Fairmarket in book apart from two by Jaime. Explanation? The reader didn't see when Thoros told her that.

That was my first thought, but I don't like it. Mayhaps the conversation was longer and edited at some point and this was overlooked?

I've noticed at least two other mistakes in Brienne chapters in AFFC: in her first chapter when she's traveling north of the Kingsroad it says she has dinner with a septon, but its suppose to be a merchant (she meets a septon with a bunch of sparrows on the road, but they do not travel together) the second is in a later chapter when recalling what Hyle Hunt and some of Renly's other Knights did to her (the wager) She says it happened at Harrenhal, but it's supposed to be Highgarden, when Renly first called his banners...

I read this recently as well and noticed that I had no inclination what Fairmarket was.

Maybe someone can help me out with a question I've been wondering about for a while. What happens to people while they are warging? I mean when Bran is warging Summer or Hodor or anything, what is going on with his actual body? Is he just laying there as if he's sleeping?

Yeah, it's like you're sleeping. Bran remembered seeing himself through Hodor, laying there on the floor with his useless legs.

Maybe someone can help me out with a question I've been wondering about for a while. What happens to people while they are warging? I mean when Bran is warging Summer or Hodor or anything, what is going on with his actual body? Is he just laying there as if he's sleeping?

Yes, it can look like they are asleep. But it also happens while awake. Both Bran and Jon have already experienced it like that.

I was rereading the convo between Cat and Jaime in his cell when has the minisoliloquy about vows.

I have been seeing Jaime's actions at KL and Tywins as separate but they arent really. "Obey your king...Obey your father" Jaime killed Aerys and his Hands bc Tywin told him to, didnt he? Also I am sure he felt just fine about it on his deepest levels but being called Kingslayer bugs him because although overall it was the right thing to do, he did forsake that particular vow.

I was rereading the convo between Cat and Jaime in his cell when has the minisoliloquy about vows.

I have been seeing Jaime's actions at KL and Tywins as separate but they arent really. "Obey your king...Obey your father" Jaime killed Aerys and his Hands bc Tywin told him to, didnt he? Also I am sure he felt just fine about it on his deepest levels but being called Kingslayer bugs him because although overall it was the right thing to do, he did forsake that particular vow.

He didn't kill him because Tywin told him too. In Jamies words he killed Aerys because Jamie found out about Aerys plan to burn the city down.

He didn't kill him because Tywin told him too. In Jamies words he killed Aerys because Jamie found out about Aerys plan to burn the city down.

well I thought that originally. I thought he had higher motives. but after reading the conflicting vows speech and trying to resolve the timing of Tywin's appearance, it makes more sense to me - and the fact that Aerys was dangerous only helped. Jaime had no reason to give a sh*t about KL.

well I thought that originally. I thought he had higher motives. but after reading the conflicting vows speech and trying to resolve the timing of Tywin's appearance, it makes more sense to me - and the fact that Aerys was dangerous only helped. Jaime had no reason to give a sh*t about KL.

He IS in King's landing, his family is at the gates (or maybe inside already). How would he not care about KL?

This is also why he gave up the throne to Ned. His men were backing off (he did have Lannister men there) and Robert looked to be winning. He could have been keeping the seat warm for Tywin but Tywin vetoed that or Ned scared him off of it.

His father is coming to take KL for Robert. He stops Aerys for that reason, not because of higher motives to save lives in KL. Tywin thought it was smarter to seize KL, kill Aerys and the grandkids and hand it all over to Robert. Gregor got a little carried away but it worked out for Tywin. How would all this targ killing have been done in such a precisely coordinated way if they werent colluding?

This is also why he gave up the throne to Ned. His men were backing off (he did have Lannister men there) and Robert looked to be winning. He could have been keeping the seat warm for Tywin but Tywin vetoed that or Ned scared him off of it.

His father is coming to take KL for Robert. He stops Aerys for that reason, not because of higher motives to save lives in KL. Tywin thought it was smarter to seize KL, kill Aerys and the grandkids and hand it all over to Robert. Gregor got a little carried away but it worked out for Tywin. How would all this targ killing have been done in such a precisely coordinated way if they werent colluding?

I agree that the larger reason is that his family was on the rebels' side, but burning the whole city with wildfire and killing maybe him, his family, and a lot of other people is pretty big too, I was simply responding to "Jaime had no reason to give a sh*t about KL".

If you have read all the way to the end of ADWD:

Jaime is all things told a very good follower, and more troubled by his reputation than he realized until he met Brienne.

At the end of the day, Jaime is a bit naive, inexperienced.

If you have read all the way to the end of ADWD:

Jaime is all things told a very good follower, and more troubled by his reputation than he realized until he met Brienne.

At the end of the day, Jaime is a bit naive, inexperienced.

Agreed. His redemption started when Cat told him he had shit for honor, with his association with Brienne who is honorable, and after a major tie to his past life (his hand) is lost. When he reads his page in the White Book and realizes he is in control of what goes in that book, he is on the way. Although he still wants to be like Tywin and may be led astray by this, he is way more his own man and more honorable, respects himself, and has taken control of his own life.

I have a question.

How do the titles work as far as Lord and Lady go?

In England (and there's no reason to think this isn't a good point to start from) the wife of the title holder would have the title Lady [surname] while the daughters of the lord have the honorific lady [first name].

When a Lord dies and his heir (the new Lord) is married them his wife is now Lady [surname] and the dead lord's wife is known as [first name], Lady [surname], to differentiate them from the new lady of the house.

Catelyn is still called Lady Stark after Ned's death, but I can't recall if she's still called it after Robb's marriage. Of course Jeyne is the queen, so it's not necessary to differentiate between them.

In England (and there's no reason to think this isn't a good point to start from) the wife of the title holder would have the title Lady [surname] while the daughters of the lord have the honorific lady [first name].

When a Lord dies and his heir (the new Lord) is married them his wife is now Lady [surname] and the dead lord's wife is known as [first name], Lady [surname], to differentiate them from the new lady of the house.

Catelyn is still called Lady Stark after Ned's death, but I can't recall if she's still called it after Robb's marriage. Of course Jeyne is the queen, so it's not necessary to differentiate between them.

Didn't ask the question myself, but thanks - useful info! Ok, disregarding Jeyne is queen, she is now Lady Stark, Cat is Catelyn Lady Stark. But are Sansa and Arya still Lady Sansa and Lady Arya?

Didn't ask the question myself, but thanks - useful info! Ok, disregarding Jeyne is queen, she is now Lady Stark, Cat is Catelyn Lady Stark. But are Sansa and Arya still Lady Sansa and Lady Arya?

Yes, assuming it follows the same rules them they keep the honorific.

Archived