The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

Well, Mormont did send Alliser Thorne with a wight hand in a jar to KL but by the time he got his audience with the crown the hand had rotted away completely and no one took him seriously. Not really sure if that answers your question though...I think it really depends on if the Others can control the Wights from so far away since they're the only thing keeping them moving and not being, you know, dead. Like, for real dead.

I always got the impression that the hand rotted because the wight had been burned. I wonder if the hand would have survived the journey if the wight was merely frozen and kept in a cell at the Wall, but that is probably too dangerous to find out.

I always got the impression that the hand rotted because the wight had been burned. I wonder if the hand would have survived the journey if the wight was merely frozen and kept in a cell at the Wall, but that is probably too dangerous to find out.

I could be wrong but I thought they sent the hand Ghost ripped off one of them, it was never burned.

Theon has a crown made when he becomes prince of Winterfell. It looks like crap. This is because Mikken was killed and the new smith wasnt skilled.

At the Wall during initial training everyone serves everywhere in the afternoon. It isnt totally out of the realm of possibility that Benjen (who I have already stuck at Winterfell) is not in the crypts but hiding in plain sight, at the forge and under the hood.

All right, if you dont like that, where did the new smith come from? Theon cant get anyone else to come to Winterfell and there isnt a huge demand for smith work that I can tell. (Maybe he should have made the crown himself so this wouldnt be bugging me.)

When did Stannis's sword start glowing? After the ceremony on dragonstone the sword is described as charred and ruined, yet later on in the series his sword is so to glow red. When did it start glowing, because after the ceremony GRRM seemed to imply it was no more than a normal sword that had been essentially burnt to a crips

Recreational Drugs. Anything in Westeros?

Alcohol, albeit apparently not as much as in the real world. Sour leaf. Arguably whatever it was that Daenerys took before entering the House of the Undying (I don't know if it counts because it is unclear how available it actually is).

I'm sure there are others, but those are the only three that spring to mind. Westerosi and Essonians are somewhat more blessed than us.

ETA: Oh, and of course, there is the Milk of the Poppy, which is obviously some sort of alkaloid and/or opiate - something in the vicinity of morphine, cocaine and heroin.

When did Stannis's sword start glowing? After the ceremony on dragonstone the sword is described as charred and ruined, yet later on in the series his sword is so to glow red. When did it start glowing, because after the ceremony GRRM seemed to imply it was no more than a normal sword that had been essentially burnt to a crips

It's a different sword, and the glow is a glamour cast by Melisandre. The sword he pulled from the pyre was indeed destroyed, much like the swords Thoros uses in tourneys. The description of the scene even implies that it was treated with wildfire like Thoros'.

Alcohol, albeit apparently not as much as in the real world. Sour leaf. Arguably whatever it was that Daenerys took before entering the House of the Undying (I don't know if it counts because it is unclear how available it actually is).

I'm sure there are others, but those are the only three that spring to mind. Westerosi and Essonians are somewhat more blessed than us.

ETA: Oh, and of course, there is the Milk of the Poppy, which is obviously some sort of alkaloid and/or opiate - something in the vicinity of morphine, cocaine and heroin.

Niptucking, morphine, heroin and cocaine have nothing in common. The former two are downers, and the latter is an upper. The milk of the poppy is morphine-like IMO.

Theon has a crown made when he becomes prince of Winterfell. It looks like crap. This is because Mikken was killed and the new smith wasnt skilled.

At the Wall during initial training everyone serves everywhere in the afternoon. It isnt totally out of the realm of possibility that Benjen (who I have already stuck at Winterfell) is not in the crypts but hiding in plain sight, at the forge and under the hood.

All right, if you dont like that, where did the new smith come from? Theon cant get anyone else to come to Winterfell and there isnt a huge demand for smith work that I can tell. (Maybe he should have made the crown himself so this wouldnt be bugging me.)

Couldn't Mikken have had some young apprentice around?

Did the Targs foster out their young princes like the other highborn families did?

The Targs held King's landing, Dragonstone, and Summerhall, I see fostering as a way to build alliances, a hostage scenario just in case, and not having all of your eggs in one basket in case of a plague or a war. As overlords the Targs wouldn't need to build alliances as everyone was sworn to them, they could never allow another family to raise a Targaryen since they saw themselves as above everyone else, they had 3 baskets in case of war and Daenerys for some reason thinks blood of the dragon means she is immune to the plagues of the common.

But in short: They think they are above others to the point of generations of inbreeding, they aren't about to let "lesser" lords raise their children.

Does Barristan know Ilyrio and Varys are working together?

I don't believe we've ever had any textual evidence to believe that he could know

When sansa saw her hairnet had been tampered with, how many amulets were missing???

Double points if you can find and provide the quote.

Thanks in advance.

One, the hairnet was filled with many stranglers, and it takes only one crystal to kill one person.

One, the hairnet was filled with many stranglers, and it takes only one crystal to kill one person.

do you know whereabouts in the books this part is? SoS obviously

did sansa leave the hairnet behind or keep it, and wwhere in the book is that decision.... i'm a bit hazy and cant find it

Thanks, BTW!

Niptucking, morphine, heroin and cocaine have nothing in common. The former two are downers, and the latter is an upper. The milk of the poppy is morphine-like IMO.

I wasnt going to say anything but... Morphine is the main ingredient of opium (milk of the poppy) Heroin is made from morphine (synthetic) Perhaps the prior poster meant codeine, not cocaine. While I was researching this, I also found out that papaverine is also a component of opium - we always used it to dilate arteries. Maybe that's why people's heads swim after a dose :) as it would lower blood pressure.

Archived