The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

Where did we get the notion Young Griff could be Illyrio's son? Can someone please direct me to a thread, or even better - give me a short quick answer on this if there is one?

Just search the forum for real Aegon. I found the following quotes very convincing.

“A maiden? I know the way of that.”

Illyrio thrust his right hand up his left sleeve and drew out a silver locket. Inside was a painted likeness of a woman with big blue eyes and pale golden hair streaked by silver. “Serra. I found her in a Lysene pillow house and brought her home to warm my bed, but in the end I wed her. ..."

...“I keep her hands in my bedchamber. Her hands that were so soft …”

“Griff is different. He has a son he dotes on. Young Griff, the boy is called. There never was a nobler lad.”

Dance, Tyrion II.

“There is a gift for the boy in one of the chests. Some candied ginger. He was always fond of it.” Illyrio sounded oddly sad.
Dance, Tyrion III.

Does anyone know how fresh a corpse has to be to become a wight?? Can the white walkers reanimate skeletal remains or does there have to be some some meat on their bones? Can the WW just go to the nearest graveyard to replenish his troops with new Jason and the Argonaut style skeleton warriors???

Got to thinking this when I reread GOT recently and Ned and King Robert are talking about the barrows filled with the bodies of the first men and Ned says, "there are barrows, everywhere in the north, your grace", This land is old"

" And cold" robert grumbled'.

For this to be a problem the wall has to come down first I know, mainly because everyone north of the wall burns their dead. But I honestly can't see it surviving the series.

Does anyone know how fresh a corpse has to be to become a wight?? Can the white walkers reanimate skeletal remains or does there have to be some some meat on their bones? Can the WW just go to the nearest graveyard to replenish his troops with new Jason and the Argonaut style skeleton warriors???

Got to thinking this when I reread GOT recently and Ned and King Robert are talking about the barrows filled with the bodies of the first men and Ned says, "there are barrows, everywhere in the north, your grace", This land is old"

" And cold" robert grumbled'.

For this to be a problem the wall has to come down first I know, mainly because everyone north of the wall burns their dead. But I honestly can't see it surviving the series.

Lots of speculation about that floating around. Bottom line is, we simply don't know at this point.

Just search the forum for real Aegon. I found the following quotes very convincing.

Dance, Tyrion II.

Dance, Tyrion III.

Plus the little boy clothes Tyrion finds to wear in illyrio's house.

Another possibility is it is True Aegon and Illyrio fostered him, as he did Viserys and Dany - covering all his bets.

guys, every time i do a long post , i worry - it sometimes goes missing with the 'time frame problem'... can anyone confirm they can see this thread??? Please help, it drives me crazy!

What is the time frame problem ?

FittleLinger, maybe I didn´t understand your question. Nowhere in the books it´s stated that Young Griff is Illyrio´s son, but there are hints.

I got the notion from the quotes I posted above, where we learn that Illyrio was married to a woman who has roughly the same features as YG and Illyrio dotes on YG as he claims "his father" Jon Connington does.

The clothes rmholt mentions are another hint that YG spent time in Illyrio´s house.

You should try to answer these questions (in the top post) for yourself, then you can join the discussion in this thread, if you like.

I'm searching for this:

a part where Sapphires are mentioned (not the vargo/jamie bit), but i'm sure theres a part where its rumoured sapphired used to exist in Evenfall Hall (or maybe it was somewhere else?), but were lost.

Can anyone find it??

Thanks in advance, Yolkboy.

FittleLinger, maybe I didn´t understand your question. Nowhere in the books it´s stated that Young Griff is Illyrio´s son, but there are hints.

I got the notion from the quotes I posted above, where we learn that Illyrio was married to a woman who has roughly the same features as YG and Illyrio dotes on YG as he claims "his father" Jon Connington does.

The clothes rmholt mentions are another hint that YG spent time in Illyrio´s house.

You should try to answer these questions (in the top post) for yourself, then you can join the discussion in this thread, if you like.

No, you understood me perfectly, I wasn't looking for anything definite ( I know there isn't), I just couldn't grasp how the quotes had anything to do. Now that you explained what in the quotes you find convincing, I understood it perfectly, thanks.

I will take a look at the thread, looks interesting, thanks for hotlinking me.

What is the time frame problem ?

when i do a long post, sometimes its invisible to everyone and cant be read. Its covered in the help section. Only seems to happen to a few posters. I think using IE instead of Mozilla works. Now i start a thread and eit in 1 paragraph at a time. It doesnt cause issue with ost people, but can be a hair-puller for me.

What was the last event of the books? Jon's assassination, Kevan's murder, Sam arriving to Oldtown or Arya getting a new pretty face?

Sam arriving in Oldtown definitely happened first. (AFFC ended halfway through ADWD.) Arya getting pretty face happened last. (Her timeline is ahead of everybody else.)

I'm not sure about the rest. I've heard there is a timeline for all books at Tower of the Hand, but I can't find it.

There wasn't any white raven to herald the winter at the Wall yet, though.

Archived