The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

Why was Jaime allowed to lead an Lannister army while a member of the KG? Robert was still king when he fled.

This really bothered me as well, particularly as it was never even raised as an issue by anyone at the time. You'd think Ned or Selmy at least would have had something to say about that.

Why was Jaime allowed to lead an Lannister army while a member of the KG? Robert was still king when he fled.

Its up to the king to decide what to do with the KG. So I guess the only thing Robert could do, since KG serves for lifetime, was to... what? convict him to death maybe? keeping in mind that all Robert wanted was to save himself from the Lannisters' anger, just let it pass by.

How did the Brave Companions get to Westeros so fast? How much time did Tywin have to send away for them? It seems very unlikely that they would just be sitting around Westeros.

Or is this similar to Tyrion getting down from the Wall to the Riverlands too quickly.

I think Robert sort of felt like Jaime's misdeeds and the Stark/Tully's misdeed in unlawfully kidnapping Tyrion balanced each other out. The idea was that they both had to admit they were wrong, shake hands, and play nice from here on out. Obviously we all saw how THAT brilliant plan worked out.

My memory may be a little fuzzy, but wasn't there an NW member from aeons ago who married a WW and became a WW himself, or something to that effect? Was that around the Age Of Heroes? And if so, it does seem to echo quite well with the Benjen=Cold hands theory (Not the marriage, but the conversion)

Yeah, him, after the marriage, did he actually get converted into a WW? To quote ASOIAF wiki " Later he fell in love with a woman "with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars", he chased her and loved her though "her skin was cold as ice", and when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well"

And then later he committed numerous atrocities, until the King in the North and Joramun got together to settle matters.

My point being, if Benjen- Cold hands, may be all the events he has set into motion, might actually be detrimental to Bran and Co. That would explain the "don't tell anyone Bran's alive" command to Sam better than the explanation that they just wanted everyone to think he was dead.

Here's one, I know that it didn't happen in the books, I just want to know why Lord Tywin was offended by the boy Arya.

Arya Stark: Have you met many stonemasons, my lord?

Tywin Lannister: Careful now, girl.

He knew she was a girl. She was being a smartass. TV questions have a place on the TV threads IIRC

In AFFC, Brienne VIII pg. 636 (hardcover/large paperback) just after Brienne and Thoros end their conversation when Thoros hears Lem and others coming to fetch Brienne for Lady Stoneheart. The following is written:

"Brienne heard footsteps and saw torchlight flickering in the passage. 'You told me she had gone to Fairmarket.'

'And so she had. She returned whilst we were sleeping. She never sleeps herself.'"

Who's saying "You told me she had gone to Fairmarket." here? It can't be Brienne, as no one told her Stoneheart was in Fairmarket, nor her whereabouts anywhere....

I assume it's one of the Brothers coming through the passage into the makeshift dungeon, addressing Thoros. Thoros is then the one who responds, "And so she had. She returned whilst we were sleeping. She never sleeps herself."

Any thoughts. Stuff like this bug the shit out of me. I'm on my reread and I know this bothered me the first time I read it too. The writing is kind of sloppy, which is odd for GRRM...

This is Briennes POV chapter, as Brienne cannot see who is saying what, neither can we, the readers.

I believe it's mentioned in ASOS when Tyrion meets Oberyn, but why the Martells and Tyrells not like each other much?

They always fought over their borders. And even when there was peace between the Great Houses, their vassals fought each other. Like The Daynes, who've fought with The Oakhearts for hundreds of years.

Mace also hates Oberyn in particular because he was the one who crippled Willas at some tourney.

Archived