The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

Apologies if this has been asked somewhere. If you are a widower, can you join the NW?

For instance, could Benjen have married, had children, and then if his wife died still joined up?

Apologies if this has been asked somewhere. If you are a widower, can you join the NW?

For instance, could Benjen have married, had children, and then if his wife died still joined up?

obviously the answer is yes!,Jeor Mormont was married with a family before he took the black

Thanks for the answer, the monkey wrench in this theory for me is the contradiction then in Lyanna's behavior. Marrying a married man if she did in fact say Robert's whoring bothered her. That's why I was trying to figure out earlier if she did make that statement, b/c I could have sworn I read that she told *someone* (Ned?) that Robert wouldn't change his ways re:womanizing.

I am rereading slowly this time, I'm on ACOK, but I don't think that anecdote is from AGOT...or maybe it just all clouds together now for me.

Anyway, I think it's odd she would be fine with sharing a husband, whether or not they were in love if fidelity was something she couldn't turn a blind eye to. It seemed like Robert didnt whore while he was betrothed to Lyanna, either. I think he really loved her. Or thought he did- being BFFs with Ned, he'd probably respect her more.

Ok didnt mean to highjack, I'll pose these profound questions in the Rhaegar thread. I am pretty sick of that subject in general, was just something that occured to me this time around. I always think or catch something new on every reread!

Yes, that's widely discussed in R+L threads, but I will try to give you a short answer here. Yes, they married somehow. First, Targs have a history of several wives at the same time, and second - they might have married infront of a weirwood three, according to North traditions.

They were in love, Rhaegar was also trying to fulfill a prophecy, then we have Elia - they don't love each other with Rhaegar, and she can't have anymore children. The strongest evidence that they were in fact married, is that the three best KG were at the Tower of Joy - if they weren't married, then they wouldn't have to be there, for Jon would be a bastard and therefore - no heir to the throne.

Thanks for the answer, the monkey wrench in this theory for me is the contradiction then in Lyanna's behavior. Marrying a married man if she did in fact say Robert's whoring bothered her. That's why I was trying to figure out earlier if she did make that statement, b/c I could have sworn I read that she told *someone* (Ned?) that Robert wouldn't change his ways re:womanizing.

That passage does indeed exist. It's in one of Ned's POV's in AGOT. I don't have the direct quote, but you're understanding of what she said is correct.

However, I would disagree that this passage contradicts the notion that Lyanna would marry Rhaegar. Robert's behavior bothered Lyanna because he would never keep to one bed. In contrast, Rhaegar would surely only need to keep to Lyanna's bed, and no one else's. Sure, he would remain married to Elia, but since they did not love each other and she could not provide any more children, he was no longer required to sleep with her. In other words, though Lyanna would be Rhaegar's de jure second wife, I expect she would've been his de facto sole wife.

Now, you might claim that this doesn't matter, that Lyanna still ought to have been bothered by Rhaegar even looking outside of his marriage for another woman. But here, too, I disagree. Rhaegar's marriage to Elia was political, and as I said before, they did not love each other. In other words, his marriage to Elia was much like Lyanna's marriage to Robert would be, so I imagine she could empathize with him and his situation. Besides, there's a big difference between going outside your marriage to find a woman you truly love, and indiscriminately sleeping with anything that moves while being betrothed to a woman you claim to love.

It seemed like Robert didnt whore while he was betrothed to Lyanna, either. I think he really loved her. Or thought he did- being BFFs with Ned, he'd probably respect her more.

This is absolutely false. Robert slept with an entire brothel full of prostitutes while recovering from a wound at the Stony Sept. Mind you, this was in the middle of a war he was fighting in part to win Lyanna back. Lyanna was absolutely spot on in her assessment of Robert's character.

When they find the direwolves in the beginning - does Ned Stark say that it's unlikely for direwolves to have come that far south for this particular time of the year, or that they haven't been seen in many years?

No it was Theon that said that it had been 200 years.

Anyone link me to the theory Ice = Ice(Ned's sword) and Fire = Blackfyre(Aegon's sword) if there's any. making the song the dance between blademasters weilding them.

You have to remember that Ice is name after another older sword, if there is a thread about that I have not seen it.

Marrying a married man if she did in fact say Robert's whoring bothered her. That's why I was trying to figure out earlier if she did make that statement, b/c I could have sworn I read that she told *someone* (Ned?) that Robert wouldn't change his ways re:womanizing.

Anyway, I think it's odd she would be fine with sharing a husband, whether or not they were in love if fidelity was something she couldn't turn a blind eye to. It seemed like Robert didnt whore while he was betrothed to Lyanna, either. I think he really loved her. Or thought he did- being BFFs with Ned, he'd probably respect her more.

a

You should go to R + L = J thread for better answers, but in short Elia was told if she had another child she might die. So in a very real way, that means no sex in a time like Westeros. Selmy said that R was fond of her, not that he loved Elia. So in every way that would matter L would have R to herself.

When Tyrion is at Illyrios in AdwD, he mentions that the servants where there ti please the King. Was he speaking of Aegon?

you probably talk about the girl who prepared Tyrion's bath???

“Yes, my lord. I was bought to please the king.” She was blue-eyed and fair, young and willowy.

that was my guess initially but then maybe she was bought for Viserys?

that was my guess initially but then maybe she was bought for Viserys?

She clearly refers to Viserys, who stayed at Illyrio's for a while before Dany's wedding.

Even if Aegon would have stayed at Illyrio's recently, no servant would have been told who he really is.

Why is there only 3 kings-guard left with the King? Isn't their purpose to protect the King? I know the reasons they were sent from the city, but those jobs should be for the City Watch or some other Knight. I mean there's only 7 in the Kings-guard, why would you send any of them away from the king, kind of ruins the purpose.

Why is there only 3 kings-guard left with the King? Isn't their purpose to protect the King? I know the reasons they were sent from the city, but those jobs should be for the City Watch or some other Knight. I mean there's only 7 in the Kings-guard, why would you send any of them away from the king, kind of ruins the purpose.

I believe the protection extends to the royal family+heirs. Myrcella is an heiress, Jaime was fighting to protect the king from rebels, etc.

Archived