The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

In SoS, when Ser Axell says that he saw in "the flames" Davos betraying Stannis, do you think there is something to that, or is he full of shyte?

Also, do you think Stannis is in denial about Melly Mel killing Renly with a shadow; or ignorant or lying (I don't think he is lying)?

What *I* think: First, FOS, Second, yes. He also burned his own bannermen on Mels request.

In SoS, when Ser Axell says that he saw in "the flames" Davos betraying Stannis, do you think there is something to that, or is he full of shyte?

Also, do you think Stannis is in denial about Melly Mel killing Renly with a shadow; or ignorant or lying (I don't think he is lying)?

Where does Ser Axell say he saw the betrayal beforehand? Mel tells Davos that she saw his plans in the flames in the dungeons in Davos's 3rd chapter iirc.

Stannis seems to have seen what his shade did in his dreams, but how much control he had over the immediate situation in the tent (and how much responsibility he'd be willing to take for creating that shadow) is unclear. He expresses both guilt and denial in ASoS.

What happened to Arya's iron coin? She still has it when she enters the house of black and white but i cannot recall if its ever mentioned again. Ja'qen said she must use it when she wants to meet him ,so do you think they will be reunited?

What happened to Arya's iron coin? She still has it when she enters the house of black and white but i cannot recall if its ever mentioned again. Ja'qen said she must use it when she wants to meet him ,so do you think they will be reunited?

I think Jaqen says to Arya, "if the day ever comes when you would find me again, give the coin to any man from Braavos, and say Valar Morghulis".

Now, considering Arya did that, and she she still has not yet found Jaqen, despite being at the House of Black and White for some time, I think it means that the coin was meant to get her to the House of Black and White, and there she would either run into him, or gain the neccisary knowledge/training to find him.

As to the actual coin, I am not sure where it is, did the Braavosi Captain who took her to Braavos not keep it?

I have a question. Robert was severely injured after the trident. Son Ned took the united rebel host to south.. They arrived a few hours after the Lannister host. And they found the dead body of Aerys. That thay, his grandchildren were killed too. So when did Robert arrive? First he must have spent time with healing, then trip to KL. Didn't the bodies rot? I don't think GRRM planned the timeline of Robert's Rebellion. Instead he made a few contradictive modifications to make them fit to this timeline. Or am I missing something.?

I have a question. Robert was severely injured after the trident. Son Ned took the united rebel host to south.. They arrived a few hours after the Lannister host. And they found the dead body of Aerys. That thay, his grandchildren were killed too. So when did Robert arrive? First he must have spent time with healing, then trip to KL. Didn't the bodies rot? I don't think GRRM planned the timeline of Robert's Rebellion. Instead he made a few contradictive modifications to make them fit to this timeline. Or am I missing something.?

Does it say that Robert went to KL and saw the bodies there, or that they were brought to him?

how long does it take for a body to become unidentifiable due to decomposition? from what I've read "The whole process is generally slower in a coffin, and the body may remain identifiable for many months". So, under certain conditions I guess the bodies could be preserved until Robert arrived KL.

I think Jaqen says to Arya, "if the day ever comes when you would find me again, give the coin to any man from Braavos, and say Valar Morghulis".

Now, considering Arya did that, and she she still has not yet found Jaqen, despite being at the House of Black and White for some time, I think it means that the coin was meant to get her to the House of Black and White, and there she would either run into him, or gain the neccisary knowledge/training to find him.

As to the actual coin, I am not sure where it is, did the Braavosi Captain who took her to Braavos not keep it?

From arya's first chapter in AFFC when she arrives at the house of black and white:

" 'Let me in you stupid,' she said. 'I crossed the narrow sea.' She made a fist and pounded. 'Jaqen told me to come. I have the iron coin.' She pulled it from her pouch and held it up. 'See? Valar morghulis.' The door made no reply, except to open. "

This is the part that confused me so much ,because she still has the iron coin but i dont think it ever get mentioned again, not even when she gets rid of everything and buries Needle if i recall correctly. So im wondering what happened to it

This is the part that confused me so much ,because she still has the iron coin but i dont think it ever get mentioned again, not even when she gets rid of everything and buries Needle if i recall correctly. So im wondering what happened to it

It had served its purpose so like other characters in that situation it died :)

Both, all three of them.

Stannis made it an art form of lying to himself. He is the ultimate hypocrite.

We see that most clearly when he talks to Davos about Melisandre's visions of the future in Storm's End, right before sending the two of them to Cortnay Penrose's tower, but there is plenty of hints elsewhere. See for instance how he insists in claiming that Rhaenyra Targaryen was an usurper, or his ridiculous claims that he "has no choice" but to pursue the throne for himself alone.

Both, all three of them.

Stannis made it an art form of lying to himself. He is the ultimate hypocrite.

We see that most clearly when he talks to Davos about Melisandre's visions of the future in Storm's End, right before sending the two of them to Cortnay Penrose's tower, but there is plenty of hints elsewhere. See for instance how he insists in claiming that Rhaenyra Targaryen was an usurper, or his ridiculous claims that he "has no choice" but to pursue the throne for himself alone.

And since this is a thread for things that can be backed/proven, let me just mention that what you're saying here is your opinion.

If you don't read the ASOS chapter 36 and ACOK chapter 42, then yes, you would be correct.

I won't get into it, and certainly not here. What you're stating is your opinion, based on your interpretation.

I'm not sure what you mean in the bold part, but I think I got your question.

I meant by the bold... its understood dany was a full-on BRAT in slavers bay.... wondering what people thought of her personality when she was in qurth. More mature? Or still a brat?

I'm comparing Dany in quarth to her in slavers, finding the differences.

My instinct/ remembrance, having not read the books for a while, is Quarth Dany was sometimes brave and not so wreckless, but still occasionally a brat. Thoughts?

I dont want to mix in the hbo here, just the text.

They were brought in front of him when he was on the Iron Throne with crimson Lannister cloaks.. It was in KL and in the throne room.. Known by Ned's and Barristan's memories..

You may be on to something, though IIRC the only thing we know for sure is that Robert was wounded, not necessarily severe/grievous. Ned only says to Robert "you took a wound from Rhaegar". That doesn't mean he couldn't travel, just not so fast. Also, "Ned raced south with the Roberts van", doesn't mean that Robert wasn't coming too, just that he wasn't with the van.

Though if you're correct, that Robert is in the throne-room when Tywin comes up with the dead babies (and I assume you are), that might be an error on GRRM's part.

My instinct/ remembrance, having not read the books for a while, is Quarth Dany was sometimes brave and not so wreckless, but still occasionally a brat. Thoughts?

Dany is leery to get entangled with the Qartheen. They're too shifty, so she doesn't want to commit to anything. AND, she's learning to be a ruler. She'd only just branched out on her own.

Bloodraven tells Bran he won't be able to walk, but he'll be able to fly.

Since Bran can't fly himself, he needs to warg a flying creature to fly. It's the same with walking, Bran can walk when he wargs Hodor, same with Summer and any other being which walks.

I just think it's odd that Bloodraven tells Bran he'll be able to fly but not walk, even though he'll only need to warg different creatures.

But then again, Bloodraven could mean that he won't be able to walk himself, but he's not able to fly himself either so that doesn't make much sense to me.

Bloodraven tells Bran he won't be able to walk, but he'll be able to fly.

Since Bran can't fly himself, he needs to warg a flying creature to fly. It's the same with walking, Bran can walk when he wargs Hodor, same with Summer and any other being which walks.

I just think it's odd that Bloodraven tells Bran he'll be able to fly but not walk, even though he'll only need to warg different creatures.

But then again, Bloodraven could mean that he won't be able to walk himself, but he's not able to fly himself either so that doesn't make much sense to me.

hmmmm, the way you put it.... it sounds weird to me too... are you suggesting something that has to do with dragons and its not warging them? ;)

Archived