The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

The night before the (planned) attack from the Fist, Mormont spits, and the spit freezes before it hits the ground. Then it snows that night. WTH? It had to be massively cold, colder than -50F (similar in C) - how does it snow? As with materials science, boar spears with wooden handles, and human burns, perhaps we shouldnt use GRRM as a weather science source.

Or, Westeros is not Earth. IT does have some weather weirdness.

Also for Homages, this appears to be a nod to Jack London

I have a question - where did Bloodraven's warging abilities come from. Was it something about his mom? Wasn't she a Bracken or Blackwood - are they non for warging abilities?

It is suspected (although not confirmed) that the skinchanging abilities come from the First Men blood. Bloodraven's mother was a Blackwood, and the Blackwoods are descendants of the First Men. They still keep the Old Gods too, which is quite rare south of the Neck.

It is suspected (although not confirmed) that the skinchanging abilities come from the First Men blood. Bloodraven's mother was a Blackwood, and the Blackwoods are descendants of the First Men. They still keep the Old Gods too, which is quite rare south of the Neck.

Ahh, were they the ones with the weirwood tree, that gets swarmed with ravens? Yes, that makes sense now.

Yes, that is indeed the House Blackwood sigil. It has been well established that Bloodraven has First Men blood by his mother's side. It is something of a background plot point in The Sworn Sword that he is half-Blackwood.

Not only the sigil, but there's an actual tree IIRC.

Do we know from what occasion the Lady Olenna might have known Rickard Stark?

Possibly some kind of meeting about arranging a marriage. No specific ideas about who, but that is usually why the very high up families meet up.

Or some kind of royal celebration after the end of the War of the Ninepenny Kings. I don't recall there being mention of a celebration, but it is not unreasonable to think they they had one. There was a tourney after defeating the Greyjoy rebellion after all.

I'm curious, why do you think it's important?

I don't think it's important.

Only, it seems that the Starks used to be quite isolated up there in the North. Late Lord Rickard didn't even come to the Harrenhall tourney (although he sent his children).

So, when Lady Olenna from the Reach said to Sansa she had known him, I was surprised.

Sorry If this has been asked,

Here's a small question if there is indeed going to be a second Dance of Dragons, couldn't that possibly mean that Aegon, really is the son of Rhaegar and Elia?

Being that the first dance was between a half brother and sister. Not saying a different combo (because in this case it would be nephew vs aunt) can't happen and still be a second Dance. But if Aegon is Aegon Blackfyre and he battles Dany, won't that be more like a third Blackfyre rebellion?

This is all of course assuming that it's Dany that Aegon is going to fight and not Jon; if R+L=J

Sorry If this has been asked,

Here's a small question if there is indeed going to be a second Dance of Dragons, couldn't that possibly mean that Aegon, really is the son of Rhaegar and Elia?

Being that the first dance was between a half brother and sister. Not saying a different combo (because in this case it would be nephew vs aunt) can't happen and still be a second Dance. But if Aegon is Aegon Blackfyre and he battles Dany, won't that be more like a third Blackfyre rebellion?

This is all of course assuming that it's Dany that Aegon is going to fight and not Jon; if R+L=J

Well, Westeros would see it as DoDII because Aegon poses as Aegon VI Targaryen.

can someone tell me if they can 'see' this thread, and if poss just leave a small comment (meaningless if u want)

My posts keep getting lost with this 'time frame' problem, and its impossible to see which ones are dissapearing

pwetty pwease!!!!

http://asoiaf.wester...lisandre-bleed/

EDIT.... this is done and it seems i have found a way round the problem. Many thanks to those who helped!!!

Okay, there is one thing in the whole book series that nags at me constantly that I can't seem to visualize in my head what it looks like.

Smallclothes.

What exactly does the ASoIaF version of undergarments look like? I've only heard smallclothes seemingly referenced in the books as "underwear" on several occasions, but what does it look like? Does it look anything like what we have today? Are smallclothes only for women? All I ever hear about men is their breeches ...

Men's smallclothes are also mentioned. Cloth is mentioned a lot. Soft leather is mentioned in the books a lot - That might be used in underwear. Personally the thought of using wool makes me itch. underwear cloth could be linen or cotton - or silk.

Tyrion mentions codpieces.

Does anyone else have suspicions about Euron and his "Supposed" travels?

Yes! Xaro Xhoan Daxos says that Pyat Pree and three warlocks set sail from Qarth to attack Dany.

The warlocks were fully aware that Dany had dragons so I assume they had some sort of plan of attack.

The crow's eye fell on a ship and imprisoned four warlocks, later feeding the outspoken one to the other three.

The crow's eye has a dragon horn he claims he took from Valyrian ruins.

Isnt it possible that Pyat Pree brought the Dragon horn and three warlocks in order to enslave Dany's dragons so he could take his revenge? The numbers fit, the sorcery fits and we know Euron captured four warlocks.

Yes! Xaro Xhoan Daxos says that Pyat Pree and three warlocks set sail from Qarth to attack Dany.

The warlocks were fully aware that Dany had dragons so I assume they had some sort of plan of attack.

The crow's eye fell on a ship and imprisoned four warlocks, later feeding the outspoken one to the other three.

The crow's eye has a dragon horn he claims he took from Valyrian ruins.

Isnt it possible that Pyat Pree brought the Dragon horn and three warlocks in order to enslave Dany's dragons so he could take his revenge? The numbers fit, the sorcery fits and we know Euron captured four warlocks.

This really fits, but if we have to trust the show, Pyat Pree is dead. I mean, I know the whole Qarth line was pretty much made-up, but if Pyat was to reappear later with Euron, I wouldn't think they'd kill him. Or maybe he's alive somehow - he's a warlock. Or maybe the show decided to drop him. It's open to discussion.

Archived