The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

This really fits, but if we have to trust the show, Pyat Pree is dead. I mean, I know the whole Qarth line was pretty much made-up, but if Pyat was to reappear later with Euron, I wouldn't think they'd kill him. Or maybe he's alive somehow - he's a warlock. Or maybe the show decided to drop him. It's open to discussion.

I think we can assume that the one that would dare threaten Euron Crow's Eye was in fact Pyat Pree. So he is still dead either way, and dead off screen at that while his henchmen are with Euron. As a character he seems more an easter egg than a plot turner so the show could just take it as four random Qartheen warlocks. Euron also has shade of the evening that I assume he confiscated from the same ship.

A small question which has probably been raised before (but I could not find the answer). In ADWD Jon wonders: "He (Axell Florent) was an uncle to Queen Selyse and have been among the first to follow her in accepting Melisandre's red god. If he is not a kinslayer, he is the next best thing. Axell Florent's brother had been burned by Melisandre, Maester Aemon had informed him, yet Ser Axell had done little and less to stop it. What sort of man can stand idly by and watch his own brother being burned alive?"

Huh ... Maester Aemon? Is this a mistake by GRRM/his editor? Lord Alester was burned at Dragonstone and before Stannis arrived at the Wall, ETA leaving Axell to stay at Eastwatch.

I think we can assume that the one that would dare threaten Euron Crow's Eye was in fact Pyat Pree. So he is still dead either way, and dead off screen at that while his henchmen are with Euron. As a character he seems more an easter egg than a plot turner so the show could just take it as four random Qartheen warlocks. Euron also has shade of the evening that I assume he confiscated from the same ship.

Oh, so you're saying that Pyat is the dead one of the 4 in the book? Yes, why not.

FanTasy, yes that´s odd. I thought that Maester Aemon could have been informed by letter, (but who´d have sent the raven?) and filled in Jon when he became Lord Comander or probably more likely he overheard Stannis´ men talking about it.

Though Aemon's eyes had dimmed and gone dark, there was nothing wrong with his ears.
Feast, Sam I (?)

I think he might have briefed Jon about the important men of Stannis before leaving for Oldtown.

FanTasy, yes that´s odd. I thought that Maester Aemon could have been informed by letter, (but who´d have sent the raven?) and filled in Jon when he became Lord Comander or probably more likely he overheard Stannis´ men talking about it.

Feast, Sam I (?)

I think he might have briefed Jon about the important men of Stannis before leaving for Oldtown.

Yes, but it's so casually written, that's why it's odd. GRRM would've mentioned "...as maester Aemon had overheard from the kingsmen earlier". I, personally, have no explanation. Stannis, brought a maester with him, didn't he? Maybe it was a typo, but I have some strange feeling about it.

FittleLinger, it might be Martin´s way to tell us that there are a lot of things happening off screen. ------- Or Maester Aemon has a magical way of knowing, he has the Valyrian steel link after all. :dunno:

FittleLinger, it might be Martin´s way to tell us that there are a lot of things happening off screen. ------- Or Maester Aemon has a magical way of knowing, he has the Valyrian steel link after all. :dunno:

Yep, I considered this before typing, but I still think it's off-style for Martin. I still think if that was the case, Jon would be like "..., how did he know that, I could only guess". I think it's unlikely. Maybe it was just a typo and we're reading too much into it, but it's still odd.

A small question which has probably been raised before (but I could not find the answer). In ADWD Jon wonders: "He (Axell Florent) was an uncle to Queen Selyse and have been among the first to follow her in accepting Melisandre's red god. If he is not a kinslayer, he is the next best thing. Axell Florent's brother had been burned by Melisandre, Maester Aemon had informed him, yet Ser Axell had done little and less to stop it. What sort of man can stand idly by and watch his own brother being burned alive?"

Huh ... Maester Aemon? Is this a mistake by GRRM/his editor? Lord Alester was burned at Dragonstone and before Stannis arrived at the Wall, ETA leaving Axell to stay at Eastwatch.

I think it's simple; Stannis men were talking about their King burning his Hand alive (such thing doesn't happen every day). Mel burned him to get good winds, didn't she? They probably spread gossip about Mel's powers, and this was part of it. Aemon heard the news first and later informed Jon.

It's not like it was a secret. Jon heard it from maester Aemon, but he could have heard it from any other character...

That doesn't mean that this character practices some form of magic like glass candles or something... -_-

It's not like it was a secret. Jon heard it from maester Aemon, but he could have heard it from any other character...

That doesn't mean that this character practices some form of magic like glass candles or something... -_-

No, I wasn't thinking along that line, just wondering how Maester Aemon knew (or thought he knew) that Axell had not protested - and why this information should be passed to Jon. And why Axell or Axells behaviour would be considered important enough for Aemon to 'inform' him Jon.

No, I wasn't thinking along that line, just wondering how Maester Aemon knew (or thought he knew) that Axell had not protested - and why this information should be passed to Jon. And why Axell or Axells behaviour would be considered important enough for Aemon to 'inform' him Jon.

Aemon could have been trying to convey to Jon the level of devotion/fanaticism that is present in some of Stannis and/or Mel's followers.

Are there any Unsullied described present at Dany's wedding in Pentos? Cause I saw a few in the show. (and of course I felt like a baus infront of my non-reader friends)

There were Unsullied at Drogo's mance in Dany's first chapter. I don't recall if there were any at the wedding itself.

Dont know, seems odd. Perhaps Aemon has little birds, or people talk to or around him without thinking. Or he asks questions. Aemon seems very tuned in to what is going on at the Wall.

I wonder if Maesters take confession.

Wouldn't the "yet" mean that the second part of the sentence is not an information from Aemon ?

English is not my first language, I'm really asking ^^

But even if Aemon told him so, like the others said, it's coherent with the character, since he doesn't like Melisandre and her zealots that much. He tries to warn to Jon.

Wouldn't the "yet" mean that the second part of the sentence is not an information from Aemon ?

English is not my first language, I'm really asking ^^

But even if Aemon told him so, like the others said, it's coherent with the character, since he doesn't like Melisandre and her zealots that much. He tries to warn to Jon.

Not, the 'yet' means that even though it was Axel's brother, he did nothing to help him. Nothing to do with who Jon gets the information from.

Pliskin, I think he italics definitely indicate Jon´s own thoughts, so the part saying that Axell did very little to stop the burning of his brother should be something he heard, though I think it´s not completly clear he heard it from Aemon.

Maester Amon might have only told Jon about the burning of Alester and he pieced the rest together from other sources. The italics indicate his own (judging) view.

Is Lyanna the only woman buried in the crypts under Winterfell?

Somewhere I thought it was said that only the crypts were only for the "Lords of Winterfell".

Good question, as far as I am concerned she is the only woman mentioned to buried in the crypts. I think Stark women are usually buried in the lichyard.

Archived