The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

Good question, as far as I am concerned she is the only woman mentioned to buried in the crypts. I think Stark women are usually buried in the lichyard.

I agree that there is something very fishy about honorable Ned burying his brother and sister in the crypts where only Lords of Winterfell are laid to rest. Seems almost out of character for him.

I agree that there is something very fishy about honorable Ned burying his brother and sister in the crypts where only Lords of Winterfell are laid to rest. Seems almost out of character for him.

Well, if Brandon died after his father, Brandon would have been a "Lord of Winterfell", if only for a few moments. That still leaves Lyanna....

Right. Lyanna isn't dead. The crypt labeled for her stands empty. In ASoIaF characters transit back and forth from life and death as easily as real life people change hats.

Oh, IMO she is dead. Her bones were brought back to Winterfell. I just can't figure out why she's the only woman in the crypt. Weren't there any "special" women in the Stark family. Why her?

Right. Lyanna isn't dead. The crypt labeled for her stands empty. In ASoIaF characters transit back and forth from life and death as easily as real life people change hats.

She's dead. Ned recalls her death, and George has said she is dead. She is dead, dead, dead.

Okay, she's dead, but why is she in the crypt?

That's the mystery...We know she wasn't put there because that was the promise she made Ned make. Well we don't KNOW that, but we kinda do know that.

Okay, she's dead, but why is she in the crypt?

Because Ned loved his family so much, he was willing to break the rules to bury them in such a venerable place. That's the explanation given. Perhaps he had some other ulterior motive, but I see no reason to discount the official explanation offhand.

Because Ned loved his family so much, he was willing to break the rules to bury them in such a venerable place. That's the explanation given. Perhaps he had some other ulterior motive, but I see no reason to discount the official explanation offhand.

:agree:

I think she had more meaning to him in life than we know for sure (see: KOLT - we dont know much about Lyanna) and he might also have done it out of respect for Robert - his foster brother, comrade in arms, and king.

Well, if Brandon died after his father, Brandon would have been a "Lord of Winterfell", if only for a few moments. That still leaves Lyanna....

Brandon died before his father - he strangled while Rickard was being "slowly burned to death" - it seemed pretty clear to me from Jaime's description that Rickard was still alive when Brandon died - Aerys wanted to draw the burning out.

Brandon died before his father - he strangled while Rickard was being "slowly burned to death" - it seemed pretty clear to me from Jaime's description that Rickard was still alive when Brandon died - Aerys wanted to draw the burning out.

From the description it is hard for me to tell who died first. How did you figure this out?

From the description it is hard for me to tell who died first. How did you figure this out?

I'm under the same impression as Jolene. Brandon died trying to save Rickard. Rickard had to watch his son die as he was burned alive. I'm pretty sure it's from the Catelyn chapter when she goes down into Riverrun's dungeon to interrogate Jaime.

I know that Ned REALLY loved his family, but I don't think that he would break so many years of family tradition by burying his sister in the crypt with the Stark Lords. I suppose he probably loved his mother too, but she's not down there. IMO she's in the crypt because she told Ned that she had married Rhaegar which would make her Westros royalty. Ned told Bran that Brandon and Lyanna were there because of the great love that he bore for them. What else was he supposed to tell a little kid?

Just my opinion. It makes sense to me.

Isn't a stone about 15 pounds? That would be 45 pounds. Wyman Manderly was too fat to ride a horse. Maybe it runs in the family. I say probably fat.

Well Davos is pretty slim since his ordeal with that island and he is taller by a head not to mention muscle is heavier than fat. It does seem to be a Manderly family trait, besides Wyalla and Wynafryd. I'd want a fit captain of guards, but he is probably fat.

I know that Ned REALLY loved his family, but I don't think that he would break so many years of family tradition by burying his sister in the crypt with the Stark Lords.

Actually, he did not break tradition by burying her there, he broke tradition by giving her a statue. And I don't see why it's so hard to imagine Ned doing such a thing. It's not like he's committing some grave dishonor here.

I suppose he probably loved his mother too, but she's not down there.

This is irrelevant. Ned's mother died before he was lord.

IMO she's in the crypt because she told Ned that she had married Rhaegar which would make her Westros royalty. Ned told Bran that Brandon and Lyanna were there because of the great love that he bore for them. What else was he supposed to tell a little kid?

Just my opinion. It makes sense to me.

Your opinion may very well be true, but as I said before, I don't think we should automatically dismiss the official explanation.

Guys, there are other women in the crypts, only the lords have statues though.

Maybe Robert as the new King and Ned as Lord of WF, and all the tragedy and epicness and importance of her death (a rebellion was started because of her), made a statue not so unusual. Also, look at it this way - she was betrothed to the new king.

Guys, there are other women in the crypts, only the lords have statues though.

Maybe Robert as the new King and Ned as Lord of WF, and all the tragedy and epicness and importance of her death (a rebellion was started because of her), made a statue not so unusual. Also, look at it this way - she was betrothed to the new king.

I just re-read the part in GoT when Bran goes to see Ned's tomb and the part in CoK when Bran & co are hiding from Theon. There is a lot of historical narrative about the Stark Kings and Lords, but nothing said about the women. But why would there be? The history all seems to be made by the men. There is mention made of a special burial area where Lady's bones were buried with the beloved servants. Where else would the women and children be but in the crypts with their families? Bran did say that it the statues were for the men, so Lyanna's statue is unusual.

My apologies, I should have checked the facts before I posted.

Just because the women and children aren't mentioned doesn't mean that they aren't there.

Archived