Resume for role of Quentyn Martell- Anyone think I have a shot?

Khal Drogo's Mighty Thighs

If we put it like this, what can you do to strengthen the possibility that you get the role?

You have around 2-3 years like previously stated. You have the appearance; just now I read where Daenerys speaks with Quentyn for the first time, he was supposed to be solemn, brown of hair and stocky. I can't call you stocky but I mean, that doesn't matter. The best thing you can do right now is work on an audition tape, it won't matter how your resume looks like if your audition isn't to their liking, of course a good resume is a plus, but I'm sure you get my point. Then if you decide to send this resume to someone important, don't send a black-and-white picture.

That's all I can say when it comes to improvement for these coming years. Good luck, Quentyn.

Admittedly, I might be careful about posting a mock audition tape here. Let's face it, there are so many differing opinions that fanboys/girls here have about the actual actors that were cast, that it may not be in your best interests to get "acting tips" from random strangers over the internet who aren't in the industry. Everyone will have a different opinion, and it may have the opposite affect than intended. Potential consequences can be lowered self-esteem, confusion (different people liking/hating different things) and/or inappropriately high self esteem whereby they love what you do but aren't critical like a casting director would be.

(That being said, I'm just as curious as the rest of you random strange fanboys/girls).

Admittedly, I'm in Canada so don't know the London scene too well, but if you want more experience, there are always auditions to go to (in London the theatre scene is fantastic, and if I remember correctly, still gets you credibility points if/when you audition for film/tv). You can always take good film audition classes (recommended by your agent) to increase your chances of auditioning well. And doing these mock audition tapes for yourself getting feedback from those in your industry would likely be great practice. Just keep doing things that improve your skill-set over and over again while setting your goals very clearly (with yourself and your agent).

Edit: I'm going to ask Howdyphillip to come in here as well - even though he's American, not English.

I work on the other side of the camera... I am there for a reason. The life of an actor is a tough one. My younger brother is an actor. He has been doing it for years with some levels of success. after 20 straight years in the industry he just landed his largest role on HBO's Boardwalk Empire. He has a very understanding wife and a family structure that has allowed him to live on pay that is sporadic at best.

I personally was in the music industry for years with a bit of success. That industry is very similar in the fact that money is very sporadic. I always made my full time living behind the scenes, and around 10 years ago decided that my paying career was more important and satisfying then being on a stage.

I am not writing this to discourage you, but only to give you the facts that pursuing a career in the arts should be considered carefully. You should realize that more than likely, it will be years (if ever) before you actually start making a living. If you really want to do it, make other decisions that will bring money in while you pursue your dreams.

As far as getting a specific role, I am just going to let you know the odds are astronomically high against it. If you only want to act to preform a certain role, I would highly advise coming to terms with that, but if you truly love acting, then commit to it. Take roles in community theatres and bit parts in any film you can get to. Get to know people in the industry and start building a resume. If acting itself is your dream, then it is very easily accomplished. Making your living by acting is an entirely different story.

My ballroom dancing? Er I can dance the foxtrot, waltz, quickstep and can sort of dance the tango- because I've had lessons. The can can is also a speciality of mine. I don't think that that particular skill would be valued by casting directors for Quentyn? Ha.

I compete at reasonably high level in Ballroom and latin and my girlfriend is a professional ballroom dancer/dressmaker, which was why I was wondering. I think producing videos of your acting skills is a good idea. You can get people's feedback on how they think you differ from how they saw Quentyn. As to what people said about being too good looking, I wouldn't worry, it's American TV where most of the actors are good looking whether the character demands it or not.

I am not writing this to discourage you, but only to give you the facts that pursuing a career in the arts should be considered carefully. You should realize that more than likely, it will be years (if ever) before you actually start making a living. If you really want to do it, make other decisions that will bring money in while you pursue your dreams.

Artistic people are out there to make it or break it. They will do as it takes to fulfill their dream, or they will fail. I understand full well that I may fail in my own pursuits, but I always leave the door open. Acting is my primary focus but I have "Entertainment" as a back up. Devoting yourself to the arts opens up a lot for you, even if you are focused primarily on one thing. Believe me, the money isn't what anyone realistically expects once they've acted a while. Hard work for little pay is just the way of the business. He has an agent, so I think he understands this. Following your dreams and failing is, IMO, much better than living in perpetual mediocrity.

Maybe I'm just cynical but I wonder how legit this post is...It was posted in a few posts on here... and you speak so politely and timidly on here with perfect diction & grammar in regard to this attempt to be cast.. but something about: hearing the way you react to people complimenting you... your sn being Khal Drogos Mighty Thighs...this seemingly shy and innocent/naive person that you are portraying.. yet your profile on here says your interests are scooping moose feces... searching for Varys' withered scrotum and banging Ros.. and roasting the, and I quote, "pussy-ass bald witch Pryat Pree".. Maybe its just me but that eloquent and special anonymous resume of a kid dancing around doing the foxtrot seems to be in stark (pun intented) contrast to your ASOIAF profile. Pretty sure anybody reading that wouldnt be jumping saying wow I gotta cast this kid when you have things like that in there.. If it is real then good luck with it and I hope it works out, and I hope maybe you clean up your profile a little bit because it will definitely not enhance your chances of getting a shot on the show.

Maybe I'm just cynical but I wonder how legit this post is...It was posted in a few posts on here... and you speak so politely and timidly on here with perfect diction & grammar in regard to this attempt to be cast.. but something about: hearing the way you react to people complimenting you... your sn being Khal Drogos Mighty Thighs...this seemingly shy and innocent/naive person that you are portraying.. yet your profile on here says your interests are scooping moose feces... searching for Varys' withered scrotum and banging Ros.. and roasting the, and I quote, "pussy-ass bald witch Pryat Pree".. Maybe its just me but that eloquent and special anonymous resume of a kid dancing around doing the foxtrot seems to be in stark (pun intented) contrast to your ASOIAF profile. Pretty sure anybody reading that wouldnt be jumping saying wow I gotta cast this kid when you have things like that in there.. If it is real then good luck with it and I hope it works out, and I hope maybe you clean up your profile a little bit because it will definitely not enhance your chances of getting a shot on the show.

That is a fair point.. in all honesty, I realise that my profile is somewhat (extremely) immature, but it is only so because I was (of course, immaturely) competing with a friend for the more entertaining profile. However, what I have posted in my own profile has very little to do with my intentions and feelings towards assuming a specific acting role. Furthermore, if you have garnered the impression that I am a shy/innocent naive person, then that impression is your own, and not one intentionally provoked by me. The authenticity of this post ought not to be established on prior posts. However, your concern is understandable, and naturally I shall consider the matter. Oh, and, if you'll excuse my nit-picking, but considering how "timidly" accurate my grammar is, I feel the need to inform you that one can't "write with perfect diction," as diction refers to more vocal articulation. Furthermore, *faeces, *it's, *wouldn't. Just sayin'. If I have a reputation to uphold now or something (in good humour, by the way).

Nyaha.

But in all seriousness, yes, I will clean up my profile a bit. Thank you for the note, I am genuinely grateful.

I work on the other side of the camera... I am there for a reason. The life of an actor is a tough one. My younger brother is an actor. He has been doing it for years with some levels of success. after 20 straight years in the industry he just landed his largest role on HBO's Boardwalk Empire. He has a very understanding wife and a family structure that has allowed him to live on pay that is sporadic at best.

I personally was in the music industry for years with a bit of success. That industry is very similar in the fact that money is very sporadic. I always made my full time living behind the scenes, and around 10 years ago decided that my paying career was more important and satisfying then being on a stage.

As far as getting a specific role, I am just going to let you know the odds are astronomically high against it. If you only want to act to preform a certain role, I would highly advise coming to terms with that, but if you truly love acting, then commit to it. Take roles in community theatres and bit parts in any film you can get to. Get to know people in the industry and start building a resume. If acting itself is your dream, then it is very easily accomplished. Making your living by acting is an entirely different story.

I sincerely appreciate this, really, I do. Everyone needs the cold slap to the face to wake them from dreams from time to time. My own mother wanted to act professionally after Cambridge, but her mother quelled those ambitions with similar words of doom-and-gloom. However, it is a genuine incentive not to go into acting, as it is, indeed, a risky and precarious lifestyle with regards to financial stabiltiy and security. But just imagine the potential for utter and unparalleled success. At the end of this rainbow, there is a tiny little Thespian Leprechaun with a pot of gold- fame, financial reward, a truly fulfilling and constantly intriguing job, and the chance to entertain the masses.

One can always be held sway by the daunting possibility of languishing in failure over the course of one's efforts to succeed, that is true of any profession, but with professional acting the rewards are simply so incredible in all their potential. Perhaps it's naivety (I think we all need a touch of naivety to preserve our spirit and our hopes), but I'd like to spend my life trying for something amazing, and maybe failing, rather than while away my hours and days and weeks and years in an office as a money-making drone of a corporate machine (as my father, unfortunately, has become), and all for a little security. Passion is all one needs in any endeavour, passion and luck. Thank you though, really, I appreciate it, I need this haha. I understand the odds are ahem "astronomically high", but if one never tries, then one will definitely not succeed. If one attempts the "astronomically high", one at least has a chance, even if it's just a sliver. A small chance, is better than an absolute zero, wouldn't you say? Oh, I know it's difficult. I think over 100 young girls audtioned for the role of Shireen Baratheon. However, one should always try, as out of 100, one will get the part. The whole reason I created this topic, was to see if people thought (based on a relatively superficial glance at me as an actor) that I could ever be a realistic possibility, and so far, the reports have been overwhelmingly pleasing to me. So why not give it a shot? The worst case scenario = I get rejected. Oh well, I'll dust myself off and try for another part, not too discouraged. The best case scenario = a dream fulfilled. Thank you

You seem great, but a bit too good-looking for the scrawny prince Quentyn is supposed to be :) I'd prefer you as Aegon! Your CV is great, but it all comes down to acting chops, you should film yourself.

Wow, not only did you say I was good-looking, but you said you'd prefer me for a bigger, arguably much better part. I like you. You're cool. Thanks! You think I'm too good-looking? Wow. It looks like it's gonna be a good day so far :) You're very kind. I will! The next step is honing my acting abilities to the highest degree possible for me. I'll begin filming, and maybe put them up here. Thanks again! Keep posting people, every new post keeps this high in the newsfeed, and allows me to hear other people's opinions. xx

You seem great, but a bit too good-looking for the scrawny prince Quentyn is supposed to be :) I'd prefer you as Aegon! Your CV is great, but it all comes down to acting chops, you should film yourself.

Haha, I would try for Aegon, but I just don't think I fit him physically. The actor for Aegon is going to need to be quite tall, is going to be quite pale (like the Targaryens) and suited to blond hair, with green/blue eys (the show don't do the whole purple eyes thing, as contact lenses impede the acting quality), and, let's face it, he's probably going to be much much much better looking than I am ha. Also, they will probably want a professional adult actor with much more experience than I have, as it's such a huge role. Plus, the number of people auditioning for his part will be huge, much more competition for the part than Quentyn, and with a dubious physicality match I just don't think it could ever happen realistically. But still, thank you very much!

Admittedly, I might be careful about posting a mock audition tape here. Let's face it, there are so many differing opinions that fanboys/girls here have about the actual actors that were cast, that it may not be in your best interests to get "acting tips" from random strangers over the internet who aren't in the industry. Everyone will have a different opinion, and it may have the opposite affect than intended. Potential consequences can be lowered self-esteem, confusion (different people liking/hating different things) and/or inappropriately high self esteem whereby they love what you do but aren't critical like a casting director would be.

(That being said, I'm just as curious as the rest of you random strange fanboys/girls).

Admittedly, I'm in Canada so don't know the London scene too well, but if you want more experience, there are always auditions to go to (in London the theatre scene is fantastic, and if I remember correctly, still gets you credibility points if/when you audition for film/tv). You can always take good film audition classes (recommended by your agent) to increase your chances of auditioning well. And doing these mock audition tapes for yourself getting feedback from those in your industry would likely be great practice. Just keep doing things that improve your skill-set over and over again while setting your goals very clearly (with yourself and your agent).

Edit: I'm going to ask Howdyphillip to come in here as well - even though he's American, not English.

Yeah, I'm going to start filming practise audition tapes next week when I'm back in London. And next year I'm going to audition for various plays in London (as many as I can) to rack up some experience for my resume and work on my own skill set. Very productive :) But yeah, it's a good point that it's tough to take everyone's advice into account when I make the audition tapes, but I'd still like to put them up here somehow, just for general feedback (as this topic has been generally positive, and I'm on a high ha). Thanks a lot ma'am, keep on posting! x

Oh, and, if you'll excuse my nit-picking, but considering how "timidly" accurate my grammar is, I feel the need to inform you that one can't "write with perfect diction," as diction refers to more vocal articulation. Furthermore, *faeces, *it's, *wouldn't. Just sayin'. If I have a reputation to uphold now or something (in good humour, by the way).

Nyaha.

But in all seriousness, yes, I will clean up my profile a bit. Thank you for the note, I am genuinely grateful.

The grammatical element I mentioned was in direct contrast to your profile, not based on an a comparison to an essay being submitted for a prize. As for diction... see the definition for the word below. And diction is also in reference to enunciation... and when you spell out almost every word in true form vs maybe a few slang terms that would count as good written diction as well. Just sayin... but like I said I do wish you the best of luck if you are serious, never saw you act before but if you are able to portray a character with style (regardless of physical description although you do match the character on some features) then you would be a welcome addition.

noun

style of speaking or writing as dependent upon choice of words: good diction.

Haha, I would try for Aegon, but I just don't think I fit him physically. The actor for Aegon is going to need to be quite tall, is going to be quite pale (like the Targaryens) and suited to blond hair, with green/blue eys (the show don't do the whole purple eyes thing, as contact lenses impede the acting quality), and, let's face it, he's probably going to be much much much better looking than I am ha.

I wouldn't say that. I mean, it says he's shorter than Duck. That may not mean a lot, depending on how tall Duck actually is, but Young Griff always struck me as someone just nearly becoming a man. There's obviously leeway with the description.

Haha, I would try for Aegon, but I just don't think I fit him physically. The actor for Aegon is going to need to be quite tall, is going to be quite pale (like the Targaryens) and suited to blond hair, with green/blue eys (the show don't do the whole purple eyes thing, as contact lenses impede the acting quality), and, let's face it, he's probably going to be much much much better looking than I am ha. Also, they will probably want a professional adult actor with much more experience than I have, as it's such a huge role. Plus, the number of people auditioning for his part will be huge, much more competition for the part than Quentyn, and with a dubious physicality match I just don't think it could ever happen realistically. But still, thank you very much!

If anything I would agree that it definitely wouldnt be Aegon. I picture Aegon being like a character from Final Fantasy, anime style. Quentyn you would have a better chance with, i just picture him being more stocky and broad faced. But I guess thats something the tv show could always work around that.

Yeah, definitely not going for Aegon haha, I had the same sort of "final fantasy" kind of image for him too. Quentyn is a smaller role, so there's less competition, and I do just think I suit him more. Then again, that's for the forum to decide if I suit him or not. And on the topic of my acting ability, I'm going to get more lessons soon and going to post some self-made audition tapes on here, if I can, within the next week or two.

If we put it like this, what can you do to strengthen the possibility that you get the role?

You have around 2-3 years like previously stated. You have the appearance; just now I read where Daenerys speaks with Quentyn for the first time, he was supposed to be solemn, brown of hair and stocky. I can't call you stocky but I mean, that doesn't matter. The best thing you can do right now is work on an audition tape, it won't matter how your resume looks like if your audition isn't to their liking, of course a good resume is a plus, but I'm sure you get my point. Then if you decide to send this resume to someone important, don't send a black-and-white picture.

That's all I can say when it comes to improvement for these coming years. Good luck, Quentyn.

Well, I have Pre-U exams next summer, so I'm going to be studying for them next year and focusing on academia etc. But the year after that is my gap year, where I plan to get acting lessons, audition for plays (and smaller roles in tv series etc) just to get some experience and some exposure and whatnot. The audition tape I'm going to start working on next week, and I'll rehearse it, study the character a bit, and film myself acting it again and again until I'm satisfied with the tape I have. Oh, and I'm also working on getting a new photo, in colour this time. I only used this one as it's one of the few I have by a professional photographer. It's unfortunate that it's in black and white, but I'll get a colour one done soon. How does one become stocky??????? Thanks for the advice!

Archived