Resume for role of Quentyn Martell- Anyone think I have a shot?

Khal Drogo's Mighty Thighs

Wanted to tell you. Thank you for this topic. I followed your example and did one for me too, but if you hadnt done this one, I would never have done it... and you seems, from your presentation, to have to guts for Quentyn, so good luck, bro! ;)

Isn't Quentyn all insecure about what people think of him? He wants to prove himself to his father and doesn't want to let him down, he gets all angry at Daario when he calls him "just a boy", he gets all angry and sad at Daenerys for rejecting him, he's overshadowed by his better-looking and bigger companion (Ser Gerold), and ultimately he tries to prove himself to others so much that he tries to be a hero and steal the dragons and ends up dying. I'd say the character, although sombre and quiet, is defined by his insecurity? Alright, I'm sorry if I too have been a bit insecure. Quentyn is not a confident guy. That's why it's such a hard thing for him to stand up to the dragons, and he ends up losing his cool.

He walks around with the demeanor of a serious and determined adult as far as I saw it. Quentyn goes to Dany with the intention of marrying her and in his mind that is the only result of his quest. Quentyn goes undercover with a mercenary group and fights with them to victory to achieve his goal. He was rejected by Dany and advised to go back home but still he remained and told Dany it isnt too late to honor the pact that was made 15 years earlier about the union... As opposed to walking away as Barristan told him to he gets the Tattered Prince to help him to seize the dragons and even (naively) tries to tame them. Yes he failed but the fact that he went through all of this and even stood in front of the dragons I say that makes him pretty confident, naively so and somewhat in a dreamworld, but still confident nonetheless. He was a kid that took on responsibility that most kids would never even come close to attempting. He was making his strategic moves. It isnt like he sat there like oh why dont you like me come on dont you think I am cute please pick me!! The way he went about it was with honor, and dutifully so. There are different aspects of insecurities... and maturity/demeanor has a big role to play in that. He wasnt acting like a kid in Middle School wanting a girl to like him as far as I saw it and running around crying because he was shunned. He wasnt out fishing for compliments, he was just ignorantly trying to play his part in the game.

He walks around with the demeanor of a serious and determined adult as far as I saw it. Quentyn goes to Dany with the intention of marrying her and in his mind that is the only result of his quest. Quentyn goes undercover with a mercenary group and fights with them to victory to achieve his goal. He was rejected by Dany and advised to go back home but still he remained and told Dany it isnt too late to honor the pact that was made 15 years earlier about the union... As opposed to walking away as Barristan told him to he gets the Tattered Prince to help him to seize the dragons and even (naively) tries to tame them. Yes he failed but the fact that he went through all of this and even stood in front of the dragons I say that makes him pretty confident, naively so and somewhat in a dreamworld, but still confident nonetheless. He was a kid that took on responsibility that most kids would never even come close to attempting. He was making his strategic moves. It isnt like he sat there like oh why dont you like me come on dont you think I am cute please pick me!! The way he went about it was with honor, and dutifully so. There are different aspects of insecurities... and maturity/demeanor has a big role to play in that. He wasnt acting like a kid in Middle School wanting a girl to like him as far as I saw it and running around crying because he was shunned. He wasnt out fishing for compliments, he was just ignorantly trying to play his part in the game.

See, I always got the impression that he did all those things not out of a naive confidence (that seems more like Ser Drinkwater's arrogance), but out of a wild desperation not to let his father down.

Also, he does hang around in Meereen imploring Daenerys to come to Dorne with him. He's persistent and desperate, he hangs around and tries to prove himself and persuade her- he seems childish. Of course, he is sombre and serious, but only because he's a boy, trying to be a man.

But you're gonna be 20+ years old at the time Quentyn appears on the show.

Jack Gleeson (King Joffrey) is 19 (nearly 20), and is playing a 13 or 15 year old boy.

Emilia Clarke (Daenerys) is something like 25 or 26 and is playing a 16 year old.

Richard Madden (Robb Stark) is nearly 30, and is playing a 17 year old boy.

Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) is 15 (nearly 16) and is playing a what, 10 or 11 year old girl?

I'm quite small for my age, and have a young-looking face, so I think when I'm 19 or 20 I'd be able confidently to play a 17/18 year old.

They've aged the character's up, so I really don't think it matters so much. Looking younger is actually the best thing you can do, since even moderate make-up can make someone look a lot older. Age is not a concern so long as you have the right physique.

first things first u said u r 17 or whatever great acording to the book thats good ok .

but dany and robb are suposed to be 16 in the freaking book and actors playing them are 26.

(its prolly for legal resons [ ehh sceens with drogo riding the dragon could have been expensive])

lol I think the concern was all the riding Dany was doing with the girls & Drogo that concerned them for HBO. But I actually agree with you about the age issue. Theyre going to age up Quentyn without a doubt. And he will be plain looking and unattractive. Having the nickname of Frog doesnt exactly imply any positive physical features. Thats really the point with Quentyn, had he been attractive things more likely than not wouldve gone very differently. That is a point they will play up on because it needs to be believable that Dany is anything but turned on by him. This isnt like in teen movies where the loser girl is actually gorgeous in real life but they just pretend she is unattractive.

lol I think the concern was all the riding Dany was doing with the girls & Drogo that concerned them for HBO. But I actually agree with you about the age issue. Theyre going to age up Quentyn without a doubt. And he will be plain looking and unattractive. Having the nickname of Frog doesnt exactly imply any positive physical features. Thats really the point with Quentyn, had he been attractive things more likely than not wouldve gone very differently. That is a point they will play up on because it needs to be believable that Dany is anything but turned on by him. This isnt like in teen movies where the loser girl is actually gorgeous in real life but they just pretend she is unattractive.

True, but TV shows tend to use actors that are as attractive as possible to intrigue the audiences more. Look at Ser Jorah Mormont. In the book he's meant to be this big old ugly dude who is stuck in the friendzone with Dany, purely because she just doesn't find him attractive, where as in the series he's portrayed by an extremely attractive actor and they just use the fact that he's too old and that he's meant to be her vassal to keep her out of his reach.

With Quentyn I think they'd do something similar. They don't want an unattractive actor as that could (sad, I know) lose the character's appeal and waste the chance of acquiring a larger following. Instead, I think they'll just emphasize Quentyn's youth and his whole "I'm way out of my depth here what with all the dragons and enslaving murderous mercenaries" to make him a poor suitor for Dany. Makes sense innit?

It's difficult to tell where the casting director's mindset is, especially pertaining to characters of importance like this one. Obviously they're looking for innate talent, but looks will always be a determining factor. Our perception of the Quentyn character may be vastly different than what they have in mind. Again, I point to XXD. The judging is not for us to decide. We can merely hope with you ;)

Archived