Who's fatter?

Gandalf the Grey

I started my second re-read of ADWD, and I couldn't help but wonder who was more morbidly obese: Lord Manderly or Magister Ilyrio.

My impression in the first read was that Manderly wins that competition; however, I can't recall them ever being compared directly, as they are seen through different eyes (Davos and Tyrion respectively). Hopefully some of you have strong opinions on this, which you can back up with text references, because I think this is a tight competition.

Agree, at least the other two can move around by themselves. The Yellow Whale gets the prize for fattest character in the books.

He is dying; he probably can't move by himself because the disease that is slowly killing him makes him too weak, not just because of his weight (but yes, he is fatter that Illyrio, since Tyrion, who has seen both, says so).

But I don't think Illyrio is so fat that he has to piss himself because he can't move

The Yellow Whale suffer from some cronic tropical disease that has destroyed his liver (yellow fever, probably); he smells like urine because his body is saturated with biliruibin, which makes him yellow and stinky, not because he pisses himself.

People above mentioned it, the Yellow Whale is the fatest, those Manderly is pretty fat if he can be stabbed, but the blade only passing though his fat.... of one of his chin's. So Manderly is fatter than Illyrio

He wasn't stabbed. Hosteen Frey slashed at his face with his sword, Manderly jerked his head back, but couldn't drag it far enough back and the tip of the sword sliced through his fat chins.

It could have been just 1 inch of sword, for all we know. It doesn't mean that his chins are so thick that an entire blade gets buried in it.

Glad to see this board asks the hard hitting questions!

And I always pictured Manderly has totally being the boss of obesity. Like not only is he fat but he totally pulls it off. Also one character mentions that he has to take like 40 minute trips to the bathroom. He pays the iron price for his eating habits!!

But Tyrion has never met Manderly and Tyrion himself is not the best judge of sizes, everything seems bigger when one is small therefore Tyrions impression of Illyrio is going to be a bit more skewed than Davos' of Manderly.

In reading, I get the impression that Wyman is fatter, Illyrio just seems to be generally more active

Glad to see this board asks the hard hitting questions!

And I always pictured Manderly has totally being the boss of obesity. Like not only is he fat but he totally pulls it off. Also one character mentions that he has to take like 40 minute trips to the bathroom. He pays the iron price for his eating habits!!

Stannis also calls him Lord To Fat to Sit a Horse and we know that he needs special chairs and contrivances to get around.

I bet these guys have some really bad vericose veins.

Archived