The Mountain vs Robert Baratheon

KhalFrodo

To be honest, this seems to be mental masturbation. We will never know who would win in a battle, so let's agree to disagree.

Yeah it kind of is, but it's a fun way to pass the time until TWoW.

BTW, I have Robert all day. Gregor relies on size and strength. Robert is big and strong enough to lessen Gregor's advantages.

Robert Baratheon all day. He was huge himself at 6'6 and a much more skilled warrior. He slew the great Rhaegar Targaryen in single combat, caved in his chest like it was a fucking gong. He won three battles in a day! With warhammer in hand he would CRUSH THE MOUNTAINS DOME.

See, I think people give Rhaegar too much credit as a warrior. Barristan Selmy says as much to Dany. He was a capable warrior, but not a great warrior. He was probably a great tourney knight, but that means squat on the battlefield. I think the singers and love of Rhaegar played up the whole duel between the two.

The Mountain is a freak of nature, I'm not sure anyone could truly overcome him without cheating with poison.

I don't think the Mountain is all that he's cracked up to be. I think his size intimidates almost everybody, allowing him to win most battles before they even begin - similar to how a great sports team can win games before they even start due to their reputation.

I think most of the top knights in Westeros could take him because they wouldn't be scared - Barristan or Jamie in their primes, Robert in his prime, Sandor, Oberyn (who was toying with the Mountain until the end) Garlan Tyrell, and a few others whose names are escaping me right now.

My bad everybody, I didn't know that this sort of question was frowned upon.

The only point I want to add is the Rhaegar was bested by Robert. Rhaegar was no doubt a gifted swordman with a fair bit of speed to his swordplay. I think Robert's skill and technique with his warhammer would really be the game changer, not his strength or debated speed. At 8 ft tall, The Mountain would have a very hard time countering a hammer swing toward the knees. The shear impact, regardless of what armor worn, would snap the a mans leg in two. But, like everyone has said it's impossible to know for sure.

Okay, I already suggested this on the "who's fatter?" thread tonight, but let's kick this up a notch:

Robert had to chug a few gallons of wine, and make the rounds at a few brothels right before the fight.

Then, to balance things out, we have the Mountain start mainlining milk of the poppy and get his sword armed warmed up by cutting off some horse heads and setting the Tickler into the stands to 'interview' the commoners.

We'll take each of them in their prime and all, so this won't be fat Robert this will be lean mean Rhaegar killing machine Robert against Shitbags of the Riverlands Gregor Clegane.

What if we throw Robert Strong in there as a third contender? Or do we have to wait for him to fight a Kettleblack to find out?

yeah but Robert is still only like 80 % of Gregor's size. That's like Robert fighting someone that's like 5'3. So don't tell me size doesn't matter. It matters when someone has a foot and a half on you, and that extra foot and a half probably accounts for another 125 pounds.

I've tapped to people less than 80% of my weight.

They need to bring back this shit as a real sport. I mean, the MMA is basically the same thing without weapons and armor. Seriously, there's got to be somewhere like, I don't know, Wyoming, or maybe Vegas, where this would be totally legal. Then we could bet on it and straighten this out. Well, we'd have to find ourselves a Gregor Clegane and Robert Baratheon first, which could be tough... why is congress not all over this?

How slow exactly do you think Robert is? He was smaller, yet muscled enough to wield that warhammer easily. We know that Gregor isnt fast. What possible reason is there that anyone would believe that Robert is slower than Gregor?

Because of the fact that Roberts speed is not mentioned explicitly, I tend to work under the assumption that Robert is faster than those taller than him, besides the Hound.

All assumptions. Basically, it's all down to which character one prefers.

If I said that Gregor was faster than Robert, can you prove me wrong, without using the "bigger you are, the slower you are" logic? Because we all know that is false assumption. Take a look at Lebron James, for instance, quite big, but yet insanely faster than most smaller sized folks.

Is it because he beat Rhaegar? No one is truly unbeatable. I would bet Ser Arthur Dayne could kick Robert's ass, but that's just me...

Of course no one is unbeatable, but "Ours is the Fury" Robert climbed over the walls of Gulltown with that damn hammer. He's just as much of a killing machine as Ser Gregor, only he's smarter and not crippled by headaches.

Of course no one is unbeatable, but "Ours is the Fury" Robert climbed over the walls of Gulltown with that damn hammer. He's just as much of a killing machine as Ser Gregor, only he's smarter and not crippled by headaches.

As I said, it's all down to personal preference. You like Robert, so it's more likely you will believe that he will win against Gregor.

By the way, how was Robert proven to be smarter than Gregor in battles? For all we know, he could've been all brawn and no brain...

No amount of slashing is going to get through plate, the blunt force of the sword hitting roberts armor might hurt but will leave no lasting damage. And a greatsword is to big for thrusts. I cant think of a worse weapon for fighting a man in plate. He would have to bash robbert with the hilt and pommel. A warhammer on the other hand gives robert a huge advantage that would imo win him the fight no matter how big gregor is.

Archived