Transformers

Calibandar

The problem I have is that Bay has not directed a single film that is in any way properly enjoyable to watch on its own terms. Armageddon is the worst big Hollywood movie in decades and most of his other stuff is only watchable in the "So bad it's good," category. So that the film will be bad is pretty much a given, unless Bay gets run over tomorrow and Spielberg decides to direct as well as produce (unlikely, given that he's got a full schedule for the next couple of years).

Casting News:

If all the rumored actors turn out to be a reality, I for one will be more than pleased. How about everyone else?

"Transformers" Cast Shaping Into Something Cool

Posted by Scott Weinberg on Friday, Apr. 21, 2006, 12:31 AM

Scott Weinberg writes: "IGN FilmForce snagged some solid scoopage by learning the names of several actors attached to Michael Bay's "Transformers" adaptation. We learned last week that Shia LaBeouf was signed up, but now comes a parade of names, including Jon Voight, Bernie Mac, John Turturro, and Michael Clarke Duncan.

From IGNFF: "IGN has confirmed through multiple sources that Oscar winner Jon Voight is in talks to reunite with his 'Pearl Harbor' director, Michael Bay, as "Keller." A casting notice online describes Keller as the U.S. Secretary of State. Voight and LaBeof previously starred together in 'Holes.'

Another Bay veteran, 'Armageddon's Michael Clarke Duncan, is closing in on the role of "Figueroa." This character is described in a casting notice posted at Sneak Peek TV as being "Dominican by way of the Louisiana Bayou. Chief Warrant officer in the Army. Spirited fellow who loves to sing. Close team member of Lennox."

And who is Lennox? Sources indicated that 'Vegas' star Josh Duhamel has a lock on the role of the young military commander."

Kind of concerned about the potential Bernie Mac role. The man can be extremely funny...he's also been extremely stupid trying to be funny at times too. And word is he's gonna play a used car salesmen of sorts. Now take Bernie Mac, car salesmen, Transformers and just about anyone can write that scene. And 9 times out of 10 it's gonna be extremely bad.

• 4 weeks later...

This movie scares the hell out of me. Bay scares the hell out of me for all the movies already listed.

So many things to comment on:

The new movie: Very cautiously excited. I'm a huge transformers geek, but my heart tells me they will f#ck this up and destroy my chi.

Rodimus: I'm on board with him. Optimus was the Ned Stark of Transformers. Rodimus is the Rickon Stark. He was a grayer character, and I liked getting inside his head. I agree that Magnus is a good 2nd in command but not a leader. Springer was the man, and he could have been a damn good leader, despite his "car" function being very stupid looking.

The Movie: I liked the story and the animation. What I didn't like was the shitty 80's hair-band guitar riffs over every battle scene, and how half the cast of G1 got offed in the first 10 minutes. I liked the idea of the deaths, just not how they happened.

I'm also a comic fan over the cartoon series. They were much darker, and like said before, the casualty rate was insanely good, and the war was much more epic and encompassing. I like the Galvatron story (maybe not the time travel bit) and his creation, and he was virtually invincible. The comics had their down points, like the above-mentioned ridiculous first death of Optimus Prime, where he made a deal to compete with Megatron in a video game, with the loser agreeing to self destruct. Well, Megatron cheated of course, and Optimus casually kills himself, honoring the agreement. Bay should have Furman write the script. It could be one of the only hopes for the movie in my opinion.

Dark Awakening was a great episode. Prime shouldn't have been brought back after that, they should have let him burn like originally animated, as he destroyed the Quint's planet.

Don't get me started on Armada.

We should start a poll. What do you think Megatron should be in the movie?

Gun, like the original

Cannon, more like Galvatron

Tank

Jet

Truck

Other

I think a tank fits his personality, and I'd like his robot transformation to look very similar to the original. A tank would give him an almost indistructable, powerful vehicle phase, and as a robot he would still be able to wield a massive gun.

I'm guessing they'll go with a gun (as it's the original G1 Megatron they're talking about) but agreed that it always seemed a somewhat feeble alt mode for him. Tank is closer to his personality.

We should start a poll. What do you think Megatron should be in the movie?

Gun, like the original

Cannon, more like Galvatron

Tank

Jet

Truck

Other

I hope he's not the incredible shrinking robot that condences his molecules to go from 30ft robot to a handgun. Tank would work for me.

And I hate to say this, considering he and his cassettes were one of my favorite characters as a kid, but include Soundwave in this catagory of "incredible shrinking robot".

It's funny when you think about it. 30ft transforming robots from another galaxy doesn't break the immersion for me, but 30ft robots shrinking in size and weight to a handheld device does. :)

Cool video film there.

I thought it was confirmed on the Transformers movie board that Megatron's alt mode will be a tank. As a robot I imagine he will have the massive lasergun.

Can't wait to see Soundwave, ever my favorite Transformer. Loved the mechanic voice as well.

That video film was done by a guy sitting at home. He isn't connected to the movie at all.

He also did one of a street a while back that was absolutely photo-realistic. No people, but the cars driving past, the buildings, the pavements - all utterly true to life. Now imagine what the might of ILM could do with that.

That video film was done by a guy sitting at home. He isn't connected to the movie at all.

Yep.

And it really does make you think that the film should at least nail the Transformers form and transformation down pat, even if the human characters may be mightily irritating...

It's funny when you think about it. 30ft transforming robots from another galaxy doesn't break the immersion for me, but 30ft robots shrinking in size and weight to a handheld device does.

lol, that's always how I felt as well. Soundwave was one of my cartoon favorites, and I liked his voice too.

Shockwave is another I would like to see. He was underutilized in the cartoons. He kind of had a professor voice, and didn't do too much. He was a real cruel SOB in the comics.

That video clip looks pretty good. I would make his arms a bit bigger and maybe fold in the front bumper at the sides. Otherwise, Opti looks like he needs to lay off the energon.

I still can't belive (19 years later :) ) that they killed Shockwave in the comics. Death's Head took him down pretty brutally then finished him off execution-style. That was awesome. I think Furman did overdo the deaths later on though, although the massacre of virtually all of the Headmasters and Pretenders in the final few issues of the American comics was quite funny (Furman thought both concepts were crap, and wasn't in love with the Powermasters or Targetmasters either).

The whole idea of the Headmasters was always totally uncool as well as absurd to me. Even as a kid I found myself wondering why such advanced mechanical creatures would need, of all things, a human to control their actions. Just doesn't make sense, and comes forth from a need to make humans ever more important.

The comic offered a vaguely acceptable explanation for at least why those Autobots gave up their heads in the first place. A group of Autobots fleeing the war landed on the planet Nebulos but were only allowed to stay if their leaders became hostages for the good behaviour of their fellows. They removed their heads to effectively neuter themselves. When the Decepticons showed up, it was politically unacceptable to let the Autobots fight them, so the Nebulans, erm, 'became' replicas of their heads to help keep control of them. With the logic already a bit fuzzy at this point, it then became totally illogical because apparently having a head comprised of a sentient humanoid allows a Transformer to become much faster and more adaptable in combat (which is why the Decepticons later replicated the process). In other words: BS.

I just hope a Furman-like version of Grimlock is in the film. He was possibly the most awesome character in the entire comics, much better than the retarded 'moron' characterisation in the cartoon series.

There is a supposed script review out now. It's probably a plant but one can hope that it's true as it got an A+.

Supposed Rosters:

Autobots: Optimus, Ironhide, Jazz, Ratchet, and Bumblebee(Turns into a Camaro for some reason)

Decepticons: Megatron, Starscream, Devastator, 2-3 renamed ones, and Soundwave.

Edit: Forgot one of the old named Decepticons, Skorponok. Hopefully he's just an insecticon rather than a headmaster Giant thingy like I believe he was before.

I just hope a Furman-like version of Grimlock is in the film. He was possibly the most awesome character in the entire comics, much better than the retarded 'moron' characterisation in the cartoon series.

To be fair, while comic Grimlock was better, cartoon Grimlock was pretty cool too. But I would prefer the comic version.

There is a supposed script review out now. It's probably a plant but one can hope that it's true as it got an A+.

Supposed Rosters:

Autobots: Optimus, Ironhide, Jazz, Ratchet, and Bumblebee(Turns into a Camaro for some reason)

Decepticons: Megatron, Starscream, Devastator, 2-3 renamed ones, and Soundwave.

Edit: Forgot one of the old named Decepticons, Skorponok. Hopefully he's just an insecticon rather than a headmaster Giant thingy like I believe he was before.

I thought I heard that with all the changes they were going to make (Megatron a tank, etc.) one thing they were going to leave alone was Bumblebee being a classic VW Beetle.

I mean I understand the need for the other changes, but there's no reason to mess with Bumblebee.

I mean I understand the need for the other changes, but there's no reason to mess with Bumblebee.

Sure there is, VW Beetles are conceivably the worst car ever invented.

Archived