Robb Stark's sudden change of character...

FittleLinger

...from a stark, stern, successful war leader and suitable heir to his father, to a 16-year old delusioned boy in love. Well, to be prompt, I blame Cat! He thought her freeing the Kingslayer would justify his rash and undoubtedly wrong decision. It fits with the pattern of Starks constantly screwing themselves - Ned revealing his discovery to Cersei, Sansa revealing Ned's plans...

I know this can provoke a lot of different points and opinions, and there's certainly no problem with that, but what I really want to know is if you think if Cat hadn't freed Jaime, than Rob might have not get married?

PS: I know "what if" threads aren't of much use, but there, I made one, just wanted to share an opinion and get others.

...from a stark, stern, successful war leader and suitable heir to his father, to a 16-year old delusioned boy in love. Well, to be prompt, I blame Cat! He thought her freeing the Kingslayer would justify his rash and undoubtedly wrong decision. It fits with the pattern of Starks constantly svrewing themselves - Ned revealing his discovery to Cersei, Sansa revealing Ned's plans...

I know this can provoke a lot of different points and opinions, and there's certainly no problem with that, but what I really want to know is if you think if Cat hadn't freed Jaime, than Rob might have not get married?

PS: I know "what if" threads aren't of much use, but there, I made one, just wanted to share an opinion and get others.

I stopped reading there...

Robb loved Jeyne, he's was still a boy, and wed her without thinking about the political implications. And I believe he returned with Jeyne, married, before Cat released Jaime.

Didnt Robb marry first?

He was In the Crag getting married when Cat released the KS. When Cat is confined to her room in CoK a raven arrives at Riverun telling of Robbs marriage but Cat isnt informed. Also the Frey who is set to wed Arya informs her that Robb has brought dishonour to Walder.

Seriously, why does everyone blame Catelyn for everything?

Everything is Cat's fault because she was mean to Jon that ONE time in AGOT. (inb4 people say her lashing out at jon given her son was crippled and she hadnt slept in days and that most of her family was going South is proof that she was obviously as mean to Jon on a daily basis)

Didn't he get the news before that, though? Or maybe I got confused because of the show? If that's the case, then please delete this thread, and I label myself as a dumbass.

Yeah, they changed it in the show. In the show Cat releases Jaime because she's afraid Karstak will hurt him, as opposed to her releasing him because she just heard about Bran and Rickon's death. In the show, he marries shortly after the release of Jaime, as opposed to the books where he returned from the Crag, already married.

Everything is Cat's fault because she was mean to Jon that ONE time in AGOT. (inb4 people say her lashing out at jon given her son was crippled and she hadnt slept in days and that most of her family was going South is proof that she was obviously as mean to Jon on a daily basis)

It's also her fault that Daenerys is still in Essos.

Seriously, why does everyone blame Catelyn for everything?

By the way, I am not a Cat hater, and I don't understand all the Cat hate (except for this circumstantial blame). But then again, I really don't like Sansa, and I've seen long threads about rethinking Sansa and stuff, so...

Exactly, even though I wasnt a Cat fan, and wasnt really upset that she was killed, I still squeed in delight when i read the SoS prologue.

Didn't he get the news before that, though? Or maybe I got confused because of the show? If that's the case, then please delete this thread, and I label myself as a dumbass.

But didn't Cat see the Freys stomping on Robb's banner in her captivity, meaning that she released him first?

Cat is a handy scapegoat for so much of what goes wrong. I think it is because she was icy and at one time especially nasty to a fandom favorite character (Jon). Never mind what Catelyn's POV was; Bran was her favorite child and Jon a daily reminder of the fact her husband cheated on her (or so she thinks). And she's a woman, and a mother of grown children so not as young and hawwt as she once was, so...

However, Cat is not at all to blame in any way, shape or form for Robb marrying Jeyne Westerling. Robb was a horny teenage boy and let his brains fall out his peen, and on top of it was too damn honorable to just leave Jeyne the next day. He should have taken a leaf from his Uncle Brandon's book and just left her as Brandon did Barbrey Ryswell (who made a good marriage, despoiled or not). I also blame the Westerlings - they were working for the Lannisters and nasty Sybil Westerling probably pushed Jeyne into Robb's bed. I'm not even sure if Jeyne wasn't in on the whole thing - I'm not the big Jeyne Westerling fan that some people are. I hope she's good and gone. Definitely NOT a girl worth losing a kingdom over!

Yes, the honor thing. "The others take his honor!". He was at war, not knowing if he'll ever come back, damn it. He was betrothed, but he wasn't married and he hadn't even seen his wife-to-be. Yes, marry the first girl you have sex with it, sounds about right. (See, I'm blaming Robb too :D)

LOL, I've seen Cat being blamed for everything, but this seems to be a new low.

Robb was always quite incompetent as a leader and a boy out of his depth apart from military tactics, BTW. There's no change in character.

I personally haven't blamed Cat for anything, so this is my first "low". If my facts are wrong, then it's another thing, but I always thought there was this parallel "See, mother, you're not the only one who can do rash and stupid things". Again if this is not factually right - I declared myself a dumbass beforehand.

Cat is a handy scapegoat for so much of what goes wrong. I think it is because she was icy and at one time especially nasty to a fandom favorite character (Jon). Never mind what Catelyn's POV was; Bran was her favorite child and Jon a daily reminder of the fact her husband cheated on her (or so she thinks).

Cat would've forgiven Ned if he had a dozen bastards running around (she says so herself) but what she couldn't stand was that Eddard took Jon in as his son and treated him as one. Not only that she's read in on the Blackfyre rebellions and sees Jon as a threat to her own children.

@ OP

Robb was raised by Eddard, who would've spoken shame that he'd taken Jeyne's maidenhood without marrying her or asking for consent from the parents for said marriage. That Robb cohabited Jeyne is not very out of character, he's a 16 years old boy with raging hormones.

It really isn't Cat's fault. Releasing known oathbreaker Jaime ON AN OATH is her fault but not Jayne.

I personally haven't blamed Cat for anything, so this is my first "low". If my facts are wrong, then it's another thing, but I always thought there was this parallel "See, mother, you're not the only one who can do rash and stupid things". Again if this is not factually right - I declared myself a dumbass beforehand.

Robb uses it to bolster his defense, yes, but it's an ex post facto justification. Robb married Jeyne on his own (for honor, because he was an idiot, plot contrivance, take your pick).

The question you posed ("what I really want to know is if you think if Cat hadn't freed Jaime, than Rob might have not get married?") simply doesn't make sense.

I meant new low for this board as a whole, and even this is somewhat of an exaggeration.

Don' be too hard on yourself, mistakes happen.

Archived