Obsidian vs Steel "The Others" (Spoilers untill the first quarter of the Book)

Well,

currently I am about to finish ASoS and one Question which hunted me through the entire Book was:

"If some ordinary men (or a Ranger of the Nights Watch, a Soldier, a Knight etc.....) would manage to hit an Other with any Kind of "normal" weapon, (Sword, Spear, Mace, Lance etc....) would the impact be enough to kill/ wound it? I am not sure at the Moment, but I would guess that a strong and skilled men could deal some seriously wounds to this kind of demons of cold and death, by striking it with ordinary castle forged steel.

Of course this sounds a bit wierd, when we recognice the fight in the Prologue (Waymar Royce vs 1 Other, there the Steel of Waymars sword brittles) or the more important part in my Opinion: Grenn, Sam and the strong Ranger, whos name I am unable to recall at this Moment,: particularry this Ranger intended to strike the Other with a heavy 2handed Axe, but this Demon avoided the clash and killed him :( ..... We all know what happened afterwards....

So behind Sam's stabbing with the Dragonglass there wasn't much brute force simply the Obsidian did the Job but if the Ranger would have been able to land his Axe int the Other's chest?

I ask you: What would have happened?

I am excited about your theories! :D

The only way to kill an Other is with dragonglass, I believe. Any other type of weapon, even Valyrian steel, won't kill it. Can you even do damage to an Other (like chop it's head off or a limb)? I don't think so.....

Valyrian Steel is effective against the Others.

We know obsidian/dragonglass works. There are reports of the Last Hero using dragonsteel which worked, too, but we don't know what dragonsteel is. It might or might not be Valyrian steel.

Valyrian steel may work, but nobody tried it. It may work, because it was produced using dragonfire and magic.

The only way to kill an Other is with dragonglass, I believe. Any other type of weapon, even Valyrian steel, won't kill it. Can you even do damage to an Other (like chop it's head off or a limb)? I don't think so.....

Valyrian Steel is effective against the Others.

Really?! Oh okay...interesting.

GRRM has described the Others as NOT DEAD. More like the Sidhe. So far we have only seen steel and dragonglass/obsidian used on an Other. The former shattered on impact, the latter seemingly melted the Other.

Only effective weapon against the others are dragonglass, and perhaps valerian steel, otherwise, the others would not be as fearsome, regrettably there seems to be limited supply of each, so we will see how that goes

Only effective weapon against the others are dragonglass, and perhaps valerian steel, otherwise, the others would not be as fearsome, regrettably there seems to be limited supply of each, so we will see how that goes

Yes, but according to Stannis, there is alot of obsidian in the mines beneath Dragonstone...so hopefully they can manage to get a hold of that to use against the Others...unless Dragonstone falls to the Lannisters first...

• 3 weeks later...

Someone in the Nights Watch did mention that Valyrian steel should be effective - as it is virtually indestructible. But Valyrian steel cant be made anymore and I doubt the high lords of Westoros will hand their most prized weapons over to the scum of the Nights Watch.

I did not know where else to post this, but I have a question. Along with the weapons of obsidian, Jon found a horn. For some time, I thought that could be the Horn that Mance was trying to find (that would be superironic, considering how much the wildlings tried to find it), but than we saw the real Horn of Winter in Mance's tent. So... what is that horn Jon found (and Sam owns, if I remember correctly)? Is it just an ordinary horn, or is it some kind of super weapon that makes the Others obey you?

I did not know where else to post this, but I have a question. Along with the weapons of obsidian, Jon found a horn. For some time, I thought that could be the Horn that Mance was trying to find (that would be superironic, considering how much the wildlings tried to find it), but than we saw the real Horn of Winter in Mance's tent. So... what is that horn Jon found (and Sam owns, if I remember correctly)? Is it just an ordinary horn, or is it some kind of super weapon that makes the Others obey you?

Tormund tells Jon that Mance's horn was a fake.

Archived