New GRRM interview

Two Towers

Here I disagree. He turned it down because if he accepted he would have to burn the weirwood at Winterfell.

You really think this was the real big major reason?

Except that we know Howland at some point entered the room and pulled Neds hand out from Lyannas. You're probably right that they defeated to KG beforehand, and I do like the "movie nod" thing, but Howland at least entered the room after the fact.

Oh, do we? Ok then, he entered the room because Ned was taking longer than expected and still didn't hear the promise :) But if he hears "Promise me, Ned" (if he did, I don't know if he did), and sees Lyana handing Ned a baby, he should've been retarded to not figure it out.

You really thing this was the real big major reason?

Yes, they're the gods of his fathers and he believes in them. Not everybody changes their religion because it suits him. At least not if he truly believes.

Here I disagree. He turned it down because if he accepted he would have to burn the weirwood at Winterfell.

Realyyy? I think he didn't choose WF because he gave his word earlier and he already made his choice and it is NW now and until he dies.

Except that we know Howland at some point entered the room and pulled Neds hand out from Lyannas. You're probably right that they defeated to KG beforehand, and I do like the "movie nod" thing, but Howland at least entered the room after the fact.

So if there was a baby in the room let us asume he probably saw it and probably had some questions.

Yes, they're the gods of his fathers and he believes in them. Not everybody changes their religion because it suits him. At least not if he truly believes.

Realyyy? I think he didn't choose WF because he gave his word earlier and he already made his choice and it is NW now and until he dies.

Exactly what Kobayashi said, I'm not saying he was willing to change religion, I think he had his mind made up. Do you think he would've accepted if this condition didn't exist?

If I remember correctly, he looks at Ghost, thinks something along the lines of "with white fur and red eyes Ghost looks like a weirwood." He's also white as snow (Snow). Then there is "He had his answer then."

Exactly what Kobayashi said, I'm not saying he was willing to change religion, I think he had his mind made up. Do you think he would've accepted if this condition didn't exist?

Shall I find the quote?

Edit: Here it is.

The weirwood was the heart of Winterfell, Lord Eddard always said . . . but to save the castle Jon would have to tear that heart up by its ancient root, and feed it to the red woman's hungry fire god. I have no right, he thought, Winterfell belongs to the old gods.

Ygritte wanted me to be a wildling. Stannis wants me to be the Lord of Winterfell. But what do I want?

He wanted it, Jon knew then. He wanted it as much as he had ever wanted anything. I have always wanted it, he thought, guitily. May the gods forgive me.

Then he senses Ghost and goes to meet him.

Red eyes, Jon realized, but not like Melisandre's. He had a weirwood's eyes. Red eyes, red mouth, white fur. Blood and bone, like a heart tree. He belongs to the old gods, this one. And he alone of all the direwolves was white. Six pups they'd found in the late summer snows, him and Robb, five that were grey and black and brown, for the five Starks, and one white, as white as Snow.

He had his answer then.

(italics from book)

The Starks believe (or some of them, see Catelyn) that the direwolves were sent by the Old Gods. I think Jon sees Ghost's colouring as double sign: 1) He's not a Stark. 2) His gods are the Old Gods. His vows don't really come to his mind in the moment of his decision.

If the change of religion weren't part of the deal, then I'm not so sure, but I think he still wouldn't take the offer, but because he feels unworthy of Winterfell as a bastard. When you read that chapter he thinks about his bastardy and the old gods, but not much of his vows, if at all.

Any idea as to what the "long tour" refers to ? When he is done with Worldcon,perhaps?

He has 6 appearances in 2013,all of them very brief,like 2 or 3 days each.

*found in the original,he means this tour.

Archived