R+L=J v.31

Stubby

As far as I know, we don't know it was in a dream that Aerys sees the KotLT as a foe, but he clearly states it in Meera's story of the event.

I can't remember any mention of Aerys being inclined to prophetic dreams, so my guess would be that it was his paranoid old self that naturally made the declaration...

While I wouldn't rule out Aerys dreaming of the KofLT, my own guess would be that it's not just his paranoia either. I think Aerys sees a growing threat, not just in dreams but in his waking moments, in the Stark marriage alliances, and I think he's right. Not that one can really blame the Starks for plotting to overthrow the Targaryens - after all the dragons are dead, so why continue to bend the knee to a family whose rule depended on them? If enough Great Houses unite the Targaryens are done and gone, and the Starks can be Kings in the North again. A champion rising mysteriously in the tourney in which Aerys expected those opposed to his rule to use to further their conspiracies, and that champion being identified with the House he suspects is at the center of those conspiracies would fuel his paranoia to the exploding point. Imagine what he must have thought when his own son crowns the daughter of Winterfell as Queen of Love and Beauty.

Maybe more confounding is why Aerys sent out Rhaegar to find the KotLT. He was so paranoid of his son rallying the lords to cast him down that he ventured from the Red Keep for the first time in years. Aerys gets all worked up to a point that he's able to trust Rhaegar and has him lead the search party. Six of the Kingsguard remained at Harrenhal, including the ever loyal Gerold Hightower. If Rhaegar's potential treason drew him to the tourney, why not have one of them suss out the mystery knight? The KotLT didn't even make a move against the crown.

Imagine what he must have thought when his own son crowns the daughter of Winterfell as Queen of Love and Beauty.

Ned's rather vague, "moment all the smiles died", doesn't really cut it for me. You just know those gossipy lords and ladies were eating it up! Hmm, I also wonder what kind of reception Rhaegar got from good old dad when he returned to KL in the midst of a full blown war.

A few times i've read people discussing whether Jon will be a King, as if its relevant to the R+L=J discussion. Remind me why that is...?

His legitimacy and the reasoning for the KG being at the ToJ tie in together. While him being King isn't necessarily a needed outcome for R+L=J his legitimacy may affect the likelihood he would have support for a claim should he choose to pursue / accept a push for his potential claim.

Archived