King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (SPOILERS ALERT)

Gaston de Foix

I was most impressed when a reader (in Canada I think) correctly guessed that this line: "When I was seven, and William five, tutor Lundist took us secretly to the caverns of Paderack." Referenced the Gouffre de Padirac http://en.wikipedia....ki/Padirac_Cave

As to questions above: I wrote Prince of Thorns as a stand alone. King & Emperor are a touch more interwoven and hoping that the trilogy would be successful I anticipated that most readers would have all three books available to them at the time of reading, thus curiosity could be satisfied on a short rather than long timescale. Suffice it to say that the final book shows things that illuminate the middle one.

Out of curiosity, how much research did you have to do in order to interweave their world with ours? That cave is an excellent example of something I wouldn't have picked up on but I like that you included it.

Out of curiosity, how much research did you have to do in order to interweave their world with ours? That cave is an excellent example of something I wouldn't have picked up on but I like that you included it.

Heh - It would probably sound more impressive if I lied and said 'lots'. But it happens that my parents took me down that cave in 1975 and it made a big impression on me :)

it's not too tricky, as Mark has admitted the map is just that of Europe with the sea level raised a dozen or so metres. Most places are in the same place as they are now. if you can get google map to be roughly the same scale you should be able to compare the two and work it out.

Barlona was Barcelona

Lion = Lyon

roma = rome

Lux = luxembourg

corsair isles - corsica

A lot of the territories may also fall into the same type of thing but I haven't worked out ancrath, arrow, gelleth etc. It may just be that those families named the territories after themselves rather than the other way around though? Andalucia is clearly from Andalucia in Spain,

I'm not sure how good my google linking is but this is a rough approximation to the map seen in King of Thorns

Heh - It would probably sound more impressive if I lied and said 'lots'. But it happens that my parents took me down that cave in 1975 and it made a big impression on me :)

If only your parents had kept a receipt you could have maybe claimed it back as a research expense :)

Why is Alba in the middle of Spain? That's another word for Scotland.

It's also the name for a family who used to be big in Toledo, which is roughly where I place Alba in the Broken Kingdoms to be.

Not to mention, it's the name of several places in Spain anyway.

Ken Marshes where is that at, near Holland? Since when I think marshes somehow I think of somewhat Holland and their low lying land.

Heimrift is the viking like people, but it is basically located around Poland, or Russia?

Jorg's castle the Haunt - basically near the Alps right?

Arrow, where Germany meets Denmark??

Ancrath no idea.

Castle Red? no idea, but it did have many bombs underneath - where those atomic bombs?

Horse coast, I'm drawing a blank with. Googling horse coast with spain/europe doesn't help and my pattern recognition is picking up a horse shape when looking at the Spanish coast (and I can still make out "thumbs-up corsica" "boot" Italy and "witch riding a pig" Brtiain).

When Mark mentions it he also comments on how it doesn't look like a horse in Jorg's time so it could just be Mark pointing out it never looked like a horse.. Then again I'm not sure how good maps are in the future (I guess Jorg could use his googlemap eye on it). Maybe the map thing is a latest edition version of imaps? One that actually works ;)

Chances are it's something very obvious like a word trasmutation from something that never was horse. Lion = Lyon for example, And Mark his having a nice chuckle at us grasping at straws.

EDIT: At a push maybe they thought the balearic islands looked like a horse from that coast at some point during the floods? I have no idea if you can see the islands from the coast, i think they may be too far away.

Heimrift is the viking like people, but it is basically located around Poland, or Russia?

I think Heimrift is about right for being just off where Denmark may once have been. If anything, closer than further. Rembember

Jorg's castle the Haunt - basically near the Alps right?

Not sure really. It's certainly reminiscent of the Alps in the descriptions, but they're far too small an area and not quite in the right place. The topography of the south is the biggest question mark for me- the North seems about right, but the Alps aren't marked on the map at all (though they're mentioned, so presumably that's just because they're not needed on the map...) and the Renar Highlands aren't where I figure any highlands to be. But I'm just approximating looking at some different maps, so I could be wrong (and if Lion isn't actually exactly where Lyon is for example that'll throw me for a loop).

Arrow, where Germany meets Denmark??

Nah, it's the remnants of the area around Calais.

Ancrath no idea.

Crath City is around Paris, I'm fairly certain.

Castle Red? no idea, but it did have many bombs underneath - where those atomic bombs?

It's in Luxembourg.

I think Heimrift is about right for being just off where Denmark may once have been. If anything, closer than further. Rembember

Not sure really. It's certainly reminiscent of the Alps in the descriptions, but they're far too small an area and not quite in the right place. The topography of the south is the biggest question mark for me- the North seems about right, but the Alps aren't marked on the map at all (though they're mentioned, so presumably that's just because they're not needed on the map...) and the Renar Highlands aren't where I figure any highlands to be. But I'm just approximating looking at some different maps, so I could be wrong (and if Lion isn't actually exactly where Lyon is for example that'll throw me for a loop).

Nah, it's the remnants of the area around Calais.

Crath City is around Paris, I'm fairly certain.

It's in Luxembourg.

I am so stupid, I had not noticed Roma in Mark's map, so therefore I had no point of reference, so now I see where you guys are coming from.

One last question though. Builder's Sun = Atomic Bombs??

Archived