"Targaryens are Fireproof" and Other Common Misconceptions

J. Stargaryen

A collection of common misconceptions.

• Targaryens are fireproof. Event Horizon Chat Transcript
    Granny -Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?
    George_RR_Martin -Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! (emphasis mine) The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.
  • 'X' can't be a Targaryen, he/she doesn't have silver hair and purple eyes. The most recent example (not counting Jon Snow) is Rhaenys, daughter of Rhaegar and Elia.
    Rhaenys took after her mother in appearance, she had brown hair and looked like a Martell.

• Characters with purple eyes and silver hair must be (secret) Targaryens. These particular genetic traits are common in Essos, and therefore not exclusive to Targaryens.
  • Targaryens cannot get sick.
    Dany has been sick and/or feverish twice in the series. Once in AGOT after the stillbirth of her son and once in ADWD after eating bad berries and/or drinking bad water.
    Several Targaryens died during the Great Spring Sickness including King Daeron and two of his grandsons. Another Daeron, Daeron the Drunken (who had sandy brown hair), died of pox.
  • Genetic traits are inherited through the male line in aSoIaF. House Stark is probably the most obvious example to the contrary: Robb, Sansa, Bran, and Rickon all display the Tully traits of their mother, Lady Catelyn. Only Arya inherited the Stark traits passed down from Lord Eddard.
  • Bran's Greensight is limited to weirdwoods. i.e.: "Bran shan't see X, because there were no weirdwoods where/when X happened."
    <SNIP> Nor will your sight be limited to your godswood. The singers carved
    eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use
    but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.
  • Even if R+L=J Jon Snow has to still be a bastard because Rhaegar was already married.
    Targaryens have been involved in polygamous marriage in the past. Targaryen Family Tree
  • Azor Ahai reborn and the Prince that was Promised are different people. This is listed as a point of reference rather than an absolute truth. That said, the characters in aSoIaF who are familiar with the prophecies do use the terms interchangeably.
    All of them seemed surprised to hear Maester Aemon murmur, “It is the war for the dawn you speak of, my lady. But where is the prince that was promised?” “He stands before you,” Melisandre declared, “though you do not have the eyes to see it. Stannis Baratheon is Azor Ahai come again, the warrior of fire.”
  • 'Valonqar' is, or may be gender-neutral. This likely misconception seems to stem from the fact that the High Valyrian word for 'dragon' is gender-neutral. The reason for this is that dragons have no gender differentiation, unlike humans.
    In the case of 'valonqar' all indications are that the word specifically means 'little brother'. From Maggy the Frog's wiki page:
    She allowed Cersei three questions and made the prophecy of the valonqar (High Valyrian for "little brother")...
    and
    Cersei:"Will the king and I have children?"
    Maggy:"Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you."
    Maggy:"Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds," she said. "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."(emphasis mine)
  • Rhaegar disappearing with Lyanna started the war known as Robert's Rebellion. This was not the beginning of the rebellion but, in fact, the prologue. A minor distinction to some, but also an important one. The Cliffsnotes version:

1. R+L
  2. Arrest and detention of Brandon Stark, et al.
  3. Summoning to King's Landing of Rickard Stark, et al.
  4. Executions without trial of Rickard and Brandon Stark, et al.
  5. Aerys II orders Jon Arryn to send him the heads of Robert Baratheon and Eddard Stark.
  6. Jon Arryn refuses. Instead, He, Robert and Ned raised their respective banners in revolt, and thus began Robert's Rebellion; aka The War of the Usurper.

A more detailed account (minus "et als." :lol:) can be found here: Robert's Rebellion

• Because many people on the internet (a fraction of the total readership) have figured out R+L=J, GRRM might change it.

Do you use to check the Internet forums in order to see the predictions made by your fans?
    I am aware of the principal Internet forums about A Song of Ice and Fire and I really used to look at the American and English groups. Nowadays, the most important site is Westeros, but I started to feel uncomfortable and I thought it would be a better idea not to get to these sides. The fans use to come up with theories; lots of them are just speculative but some of them are in the right way. Before the Internet, one reader could guess the ending you wanna do for your novel, but the other 10.000 wouldn’t know anything and they would be surprised. However, now, those 10.000 people use the Internet and read the right theories. They say: “Oh God, the butler did it!”, to use an example of a mystery novel. Then, you think: “I have to change the ending! The maiden would be the criminal!” To my mind that way is a disaster because if you are doing well you work, the books are full of clues that point to the butler doing it and help you to figure up the butler did it, but if you change the ending to point the maiden, the clues make no sense anymore; they are wrong or are lies, and I am not a liar.
    Have you ever change any of your ideas just because your fans got you?I ultimately thought I don’t wanna change anything. What I have to remember is that if one person figures out the ending and 10.000 people read it, they will doubt and still, a 100.000 people won’t see the post on the Internet and they will be surprised. I have to say that for each correct theory on the Internet are at least 1.000 incorrect theories. People use to see shadows on the wall when there is nothing, but I am aware about that stuff. In fact, my wife Parris use to enter to those forums and apprises me if there is anything particularly important, but that’s it.

Ashara Dayne's child is Aegon, and Septa Lemore is Ashara Dayne

Sometimes when the queen looked at him, he felt as if he was looking at Ashara's daughter . . . But Ashara's daughter had been stillborn, and her fair lady had thrown herself from a tower soon after, mad with grief over the child she lost, and perhaps for the man who had dishonored her at Harrenhal as well. . . . If I had unhorsed Rhaegar and crowned Ashara queen of love and beauty, might she have looked to me instead of Stark?

Targaryens cannot get sick.

Dany has been sick and/or feverish twice in the series. Once in AGOT after the stillbirth of her son and once in ADWD after eating bad berries and/or drinking bad water.

Several Targaryens died during the Great Spring Sickness including King Daeron and two of his sons. Another Daeron, Daeron the Drunken (who had sandy brown hair), died of pox.

From a recent thread.... not Targaryen related (or is it.....)

Catelyn emotionally abused Jon and made his life at Winterfell a living hell

Completely and 100% not true. She kept silent while he played with her children, and kept all her emotions to herself. Just because she'd rather have Jon in a coma than Bran does not mean she abused him his entire life.

Hot Pie is Azor Ahai Reborn

There is virtually no evidence of this being the case, anywhere in the books. Yet this is the most common misconception that I frequently hear from fans, both from the television show and the novels.

True, there's much better evidence for Hodor or Dolorous Edd.

Hot Pie is Azor Ahai Reborn

There is virtually no evidence of this being the case, anywhere in the books. Yet this is the most common misconception that I frequently hear from fans, both from the television show and the novels.

there is salt and smoke in the kitchens dude.

there is salt and smoke in the kitchens dude.

So, I was in a kitchen earlier today. There was some salt, and I burned the Hot Pocket (no relation) in the microwave, causing a large amount of smoke to billow out. Am I Azor Ahai?

Just not enough. You're going to have to trust me on this, Hot Pie could possibly be a warg and a secret Targ, but he is no Azor Ahai.

So, I was in a kitchen earlier today. There was some salt, and I burned the Hot Pocket (no relation) in the microwave, causing a large amount of smoke to billow out. Am I Azor Ahai?

Just not enough. You're going to have to trust me on this, Hot Pie could possibly be a warg and a secret Targ, but he is no Azor Ahai.

don't know maybe you are... in which part of westeros were you exactly ?

Bran's Greensight is limited to weirdwoods. i.e.: "Bran shan't see X, because there were no weirdwoods where/when X happened."

“Once you have mastered your gifts, you may look where you will and see what the trees have

seen, be it yesterday or last year or a thousand ages past. Men live their lives trapped in an eternal

present, between the mists of memory and the sea of shadow that is all we know of the days to come.

Certain moths live their whole lives in a day, yet to them that little span of time must seem as long as

years and decades do to us. An oak may live three hundred years, a redwood tree three thousand. A

weirwood will live forever if left undisturbed. To them seasons pass in the flutter of a moth’s wing, and

past, present, and future are one. Nor will your sight be limited to your godswood. The singers carved

eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use

but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.

I've updated the OP. Some suggestions were not included, as I felt they did not meet the criteria. I'm looking to be able to definitively rule out certain notions. The evidence against Benjen being Coldhands is pretty compelling, but not quite definitive, for example.

I'll come back with evidence, but Valyrian is NOT gender-neutral, and therefore valonqar could not refer to a female character. It is the word dragon specifically that is gender-neutral in Valyrian, because dragons have no fixed gender. This comes from Maester Aemon in a Sam POV, I believe, when they are talking about why Dany could be the person they are waiting for.

Also, nowhere in the books does it say anything about Daven Lannister getting married at Riverrun. Is it possible that he might? Yes. But the books themselves say nothing about it, nor when the wedding is going to happen. He has not even picked a Frey yet.

Rhaegar disappearing with Lyanna started the war known as Robert's Rebellion. This was not the beginning of the rebellion but, in fact, the prologue. A minor distinction to some, but also an important one. The Cliffsnotes version:

1. R+L
  2. Arrest and detention of Brandon Stark, et al.
  3. Summoning to King's Landing of Rickard Stark, et al.
  4. Executions without trial of Rickard and Brandon Stark, et al.
  5. Aerys II orders Jon Arryn to send him the heads of Robert Baratheon and Eddard Stark.
  6. Jon Arryn refuses, and raises his banners; thus the beginning of the rebellion.

A more detailed account (minus "et als." :lol:) can be found here: Robert's Rebellion

• Azor Ahai reborn and the Prince that was Promised are different people.

AA and the Prince that was Promised may well be the same person, but the Religions of Westeros video does not establish that this is the case. The video you provided from Martin clearly has him speaking from Melisandre's point of view about what she believes, not from the objective point of view of the author.

As for the quote from the text, all that really tells us is that Aemon and Melisandre share a belief that they are the same figure. We've seen both characters make mistakes. Neither is infallible and people in Martin's world have a habit of being wrong when they confidently make bold assertions about something important.

AA and the Prince that was Promised may well be the same person, but the Religions of Westeros video does not establish that this is the case. The video you provided from Martin clearly has him speaking from Melisandre's point of view about what she believes, not from the objective point of view of the author.

As for the quote from the text, all that really tells us is that Aemon and Melisandre share a belief that they are the same figure. We've seen both characters make mistakes. Neither is infallible and people in Martin's world have a habit of being wrong when they confidently make bold assertions about something important.

I'll take a look at it, thanks. I have to admit I snipped those bits from another thread.

That in order to be a Targaryen you have to have at least Silver hair, or purple eyes. This is so not true.

That is you have silver hair or purple eyes you must be part Targaryen. This is so not true.

Lets Start from the beginning. (RVT will be used for those who had the regular Valyrian traits of Silver hair and purple eyes)

Aegon I; RVT

Visenya: RVT

Rhaenys: RVT

These three being the original line of the Westeros Targaryens. And are the blueprint for the RVT which is Silver-blonde hair and purple eyes which all three had.

*I did note a difference in the shade of purple in certain characters eyes.

Maegor I: RVT

Aenys: RVT

Jaehaerys I: RVT

Alysanne: Silver hair, clear blue eyes

*brother and sister/husband+wife

Viserys I: RVT

Rhaenyra: RVT

Aegon II: RVT

Aemond: ?

Aegon III: RVT

Viserys II: RVT

Daeron I: RVT

Rhaena: silver-gold/more gold purple eyes

Elaena: platinum white/gold streak soft lilac eyes

Baelor I: RVT

Daena: RVT

*brothers and sisters

Aegon IV: RVT

Naerys: RVT

Aemon: ?

Daemon Blackfyre: RVT

Aegor Bittersteel Rivers: black hair, purple eyes

Brynden Bloodraven Rivers: albino, red eyes

Shiera Seastar: silver-gold hair, blue eye, green eye

*great bastards all had differnet mothers

Daeron II: RVT

Daenerys I: ?

Aegon Blackfyre: ?

Aemn Blackfyre:?

Daemon II: RVT

Haegon: ?

Baelor Breakspear: dark hair, dark eyes

Aerys I: RVT

Aelinor: ?

Rhaegal:?

Maekar I: pale blone almost white, violet eyes

*brothers and sisters

Valarr: dark hair, blue eyes

Matarys: ?

Daeron: sandy brown, ?

Aerion: RVT

Maester Aemon:?

Aegon V: RVT

Rhae: ?

Daella:?

*brothers and sisters

Duncan:?

Jaehaerys II: RVT

Rhaelle:?

Aerys II: RVT

Rhaella:?

Rhaegar: RVT

Viserys:RVT

Daenerys:RVT

Rhaenys: brown hair dark eyes

*father(Rhaegar) had RVT mother(Elia) was dornish and had dark hair and dark eyes

Aegon VI: as a babe fair haired

• Targaryens cannot get sick.
    Several Targaryens died during the Great Spring Sickness including King Daeron and two of his sons. Another Daeron, Daeron the Drunken (who had sandy brown hair), died of pox.

No, his grandsons.

Archived