White-Luck Warrior X: X Marks the Slog

Spring Bass

WraithOfTinyKittens, you should join up. As should anyone and everyone else interested in the reread. The 15th of August has been put forth as our start date and seconded by myself. It looks like five days to read a chapter and discuss. The issues of spoilers beyond thread heading, for instance discussing TJE, Ch. 9 in TWP, Ch. 2 thread, is still being discussed.

Also, I'm still a firm believer that most of us in these Westeros One-Thread Famines have simply let the loudest perspectives dominate our collective noosphere. EAMD is clearly not as prevalent as everyone seems to think nor are the pendulous phalli. It's probably just what sticks with certain people the most as they are intrusions into their subjective worlds.

Gotta remember, Bakker seems to be playing with his readers and their readings, even against one another. It's all about the ambiguity.

Hence, bring on the damn chronicle.

I will check in with your reread project tomorrow.

I'm not sure how you'd do it, but I'd be very interested if everyone tries to chat about each chapter without spoiling later stuff. I've read through the original trilogy several times, and the last two twice now, but I still would love to start over and really focus on all the complexity without necessarily knowing all the reveals later - even though I pretty much know what's motivating what per the first five books.

Fun idea regardless.

Shryke, it very well may be worth the wait. I'm not saying it isn't. I am saying that the danger of that kind of storytelling is that the payoff needs to be awesome or the whole thing can feel lame. If you do it right the whole thing is extra awesome. But that's hard to do.

And we know from the start the consult was trying to bring about the end of the world. Maybe. We don't actually know what they were up to. Point of fact we still don't. We don't even know if they are trying to get the no god again.

Also, it annoyed me in Abercrombie. His books were fun enough and the characters mostly interesting enough that I didn't need the overarching plan but it did feel like a whole lot of random meh.

WraithOfTinyKittens, you should join up. As should anyone and everyone else interested in the reread. The 15th of August has been put forth as our start date and seconded by myself. It looks like five days to read a chapter and discuss. The issues of spoilers beyond thread heading, for instance discussing TJE, Ch. 9 in TWP, Ch. 2 thread, is still being discussed.

A reread project? Have I missed something? There will be a special thread?

Lol. I initially tried to garner The Second Apocalyspe attention by the graces of Pat and Wert - Pat plugged it on the Hotlist almost immediately and Bakker did on TPB shortly after. I think we're only nearing the fourth month, with exactly, at this moment of writing, 121 threads and 121 members. An auspicious little community indeed.

Again, I invite anyone to join the forum at all, if only to lurk, but, more importantly, to sign up for the Slog of Slogs: PON Edition, get in on the discussion about spoilers and timing - I'll probably be reading the prologue on my plane ride tommorow and posting about it around midday EST.

It'll be a soft start... Shimeh is only so many horizons from Ishual.

It's okay, no need to be embarassed. EAMD, after all.

EAMD indeed. Thank god pendulous phalli were not involved.

Again, I invite anyone to join the forum at all, if only to lurk, but, more importantly, to sign up for the Slog of Slogs: PON Edition, get in on the discussion about spoilers and timing - I'll probably be reading the prologue on my plane ride tommorow and posting about it around midday EST.

I am a member, but I haven't been around much. Did lurk a bit though.

The slog of slogs!!!!!!!!!!!

To the Coffers, boys!

http://rsbakker.word.../#comment-11764

Bakker says he hasn't forgotten the sample chapter, but that he needs to finish the final chapter "to finalize the details." Does that mean something in the first chapter is contingent on how he writes the ending? So the White-Luck is right - what comes after does determine what comes before! Aha, I'm so clever, I should post that in reply.

I love how much Rhom loves to say "The slog of slogs!!"

I could picture us, on some weekend when the wife takes the kid out of town, where we hit the pubcrawl on our way to a UK basketball game and declare "The slog of slogs!" as we move from locale to locale.

The slog of slogs!!!!!!!!!!

There is something I'm thinking back on from WLW which confuses the Hell out of me, and I can't remember if we've discussed it or not.

I might be reading something the wrong way, but it seemed to be implied in turns both that The Consult was trying to protect Mimara and that it was trying to replace her w/ a skin spy. Did anyone else get that impression? If so, what gives?

I think that may be right. I think I remember the thing showing up with her face on it a couple times, but they also seem determined to protect her. I liked WLW a lot, but I really feel like it didn't answer anything that was left hanging at the end of TJE concerning Mimara and her new role in the "pantheon."

ETA: I also wonder if Arthmail would be happier if The Slog of Slogs! replaced EAMD as the go-to catch phrase.

Well, we know that it showed up more than just once in the text! :lol:

Slog of Slogs doesn't have the same cliched nature, as it doesn't show up in the first trilogy. I think Raidne hit the nail when she said the thing that gets old is the feeling the author thinks your mind should be blown by the EAMD stuff.

I think the first trilogy was fine in this regard, as it's all about Kellhus's manipulations. The second is where the bon mots get stale.

On a more serious note, Bakker mentions his TUC schedule:

Still working on it, every morning seven days a week. This is a different schedule for me – having a kid completely precludes vanishing for weeks in fits of manic creativity. Add to that the fact that I can only work on it part-time… It’s up to 150 000 words, maybe three quarters or so done. I’m VERY happy with it so far. Beyond that, I don’t know what to say. Sorry Mike. This is completely new territory for me!

eta: issues with link, removed it. anywho it was on his blog comments.

Nah, if he is at two thirds now, then early 2013 is out of the question. If he could finish the book before the year is out, which I would imagine could be a goal for him given how far he is, it'll be August-September at the very earliest.

Archived