White-Luck Warrior X: X Marks the Slog

Spring Bass

• 4 weeks later...

So... I have a bizarre and somewhat darkly funny story to share. (IMHO)

A guy that I went to high school with recently added me as a friend on Facebook. On Sunay, he had a bizarre breakdown of sorts online; what first caught my attention was a series of 17 posts that looked like this:

WHAT ARE YOUR DREAMS? wHAT WOULD HEAVEN BE FOR YOU? DO YOU BELIEVE AND TRUST GOD IF NOT i DON'T WANT TO KNOW YOU HIRE YOU OR BE FRIENDS WITH YOU> OK I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND. WE WERE ALL FREE TO CHOOSE GOOD OR EVIL. BY THEIR ACTIONS YOU WILL BE JUDGED. aND THOUGHTS AND ATTITUDES AND YOU CONTROLED THOSE THINGS RIGHT? SO YOU CAN'T BE MAD AT GOD FOR MAKING BAD DECISIONS. rIGHT YOU DO THE CRIME YOU GET THE PUNISHMENT. DON'T BREAK THE LAW IF YOU DON'T WANT THE PUNISHMENT DEAL? ANY ONE LOOKING FOR EMPLOYMENT? i M STARTING BESTLIFE IN A FEW DAYS.

My first thought was to respond with:

TELL ME WHAT YOU SEE

or

IS NOT TRUTH INFINITE

After seeing all that, I looked over his page a bit more and found him discussing at length a bi-polar diagnosis that he somehow disagrees with. So in retrospect, I'm pretty glad I didn't post any No-God or Caps Lock Dragon quotes.

:leaving:

I would find I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE to be hilarious. I randomly encounter plenty of GRRM fans and a few Abercrombie fans, but never Bakker; that would be pretty sweet. However, I doubt that a guy professing the justice of the universe and his own refusal to employ atheists is really going to respond well to the No-God.

I would find I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE to be hilarious. I randomly encounter plenty of GRRM fans and a few Abercrombie fans, but never Bakker; that would be pretty sweet. However, I doubt that a guy professing the justice of the universe and his own refusal to employ atheists is really going to respond well to the No-God.

That was kind of my thoughts as well... but the all caps lock rant really made me want to do it. :lol:

That was kind of my thoughts as well... but the all caps lock rant really made me want to do it. :lol:

I agree, tempting. If you're going to do it, you just have to stick to it, and never explain yourself. Maybe he'll start googling these phrases and come to this very board.

EDIT: I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE does not get any Bakker related hits in the first two pages. EVER ARE MEN DECEIVED has a Bakker thread from back in January as the #2 response.

So I guess we're never getting that TUC first chapter are we? Ah well, as long as we get TUC someday...

Best to just forget about the chapter until it pops up someday. As long as Scott is working hard on TUC and getting it done before the year is out, I'm pleased. One chapter isn't going do much anyway, you only want to read the rest.

That said, the last Earwa related comment on the blog must have been months ago. The heavy philosphical posts are flying by like crazy though.

Heh, I've been skimming Bakker's posts about consciousness and I think it's a bit hilarious that it pretty much amounts to what was said about Homestuck on Looping Wor(l)d.

eta:

So this time my interest was tickled by this different perspective. Think of a programmer, putting himself in the game he’s making. Is it possible, from within the boundaries of the game, to reconstruct the world outside? How do you think out of the frame? How do you punch holes through it?

It becomes a parody on reality, metaphorically strong. See my analogy with dreams and reality. The creator and his creation. The dreamer and the dreamee, trapped into the dream, unconscious about the dream. And here in this case, the protagonist of a game, unconscious of himself in a game, but playing within the rules. This blinkered look at reality that makes you take everything for granted, because the brain is hardwired to make sense of what is fed to it. WYSIATI, What You See Is All There Is. Sufficiency. The brain projects a world using a severely limited set of features. An abstract.

This is exactly like in a game, where you program and defines just a few features of the world. Is it a limited top-down 2D view? So what would the characters see if they were to look up, out of the “frame”? You don’t know. You can’t know. And, more precisely, you don’t ask questions. Because the question itself is out of the frame. Not only it can’t be answered from within, but it also cannot exist. Because it’s outside the bounding rules. Out of the physics that regulate and frame your world.

Well, while him not doing Earwan stuff sucks, at least he's not internetshitting up the world like he was last year. That's something of a plus. I guess that as long as he sits in his Canadian cell gibbering and throwing philosophy at the universe he's largely harmless.

Not to speak for Kalbear, but I think he likes the fantasy novels but hates the other stuff. Not unusual.

I think many of us want to know what happens with the novels, and want a dedicated Earwa site so we don't have to wade through whatever is going on at Three Pound Brain while looking for updates.

Part of that mild irritation stems from the collection of non-Earwa posts that got the Artocity Tale tag.

Solo -> I did say mild irritation.

What worries me more is TUC is good but the last books never see the light of day due to poor sales. Why, since getting into these books I buy the hardcovers ASAP.

Have you learned nothing of Cnaiur's ordeal? Passion runs strong in Kalbear. He hates because he loves.

If the like system wasn't turned off, I'd give that a big +1 as well. I actually did chuckle outloud at my desk.

Well, the problem isn't just external. TUC should, ideally, have some actual answers. Though I'll note unlike Madness I'm not a fan of these layers of revelation, as I think they've only resulted in the feeling of "Why didn't anyone mention the WLW/Assassins/Miracles/etc before?".

Then again, there's always bias, because Bakker said he was honestly surprised that people thought the gods were fictional until the end of TTT.

Archived