About Jaimie... (ASOS Spoilers..... obviously)

My main question is 'What is up with Jaimie?'.(Spoilers) I am at the point where he came back to King's Landing with Bolton's men. After reading that whole chapter I decided to come here and start a new topic since there wasn't one where i could ask what i wanted to ask.

George Martin writes (this happens i think right before Jaimie has sex with Cersei against the Mother next to the body of their dead son xD):

'Jaimie had not wanted to believe it. Kinslaying was worse than kingslaying, in the eyes of gods and men. He knew the boy was mine. I loved Tyrion. I was good to him. Well, but for that one time... but the Imp didn't know the truth of that. Or did he?'

When was that time Jaimie hadn't been good to Tyrion? Has it happened in the books and I don't remember it or are we going to find out later on what he means? (maybe it's about Jaimie knowing that Tysha was a whore... but Tyrion knows that now... idk)

Also a lot earlier in one of Jaimie's chapters (I don't remember which but i think it was when he was riding with Cleos and Brienne) George RR Martin wrote something like; '... his brother Tyrion who loved him for a lie...' or something like that... What does he mean by that? Again are we going to find out or I should have figured it out?

I'd appreciate it if you don't post any spoilers from later on. I just want to know if those parts mean nothing, if I should know what Jaimie/Martin meant, or if I should keep reading the book(or books) to find out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am in ADWD now and i still don't really get why he didn't grief for Joffrey... He treats Tommen like his son later when he throws up in Tywin's funeral, why doesn't he feel the same for Joffrey?

Because he knows Joffrey is a sociopath. The parents of serial killers or other evildoers may at times grieve for their children because they raised them and still feel connected to them, but he didn't raise Joffrey so he wasn't connected to him that way and Joffrey was so evil that I don't think he was really able to love him for himself. Tommen is different - he is both inherently lovable and Jaime is now having the opportunity to make an effort to get to know him better and to serve him. The situations are different.

Because he's not particularly sentimental and knew Joffrey was a jerk. People often do not love their children, even perfectly lovable children, children they raised themselves. Jaime had relatively little contact with Joffrey and wasn't his father figure. I'd guess he was much more interested in jousting, fighting and fucking Cersei than in squealing brats.

With Tommen, Jaime tries to act more responsible, and Tommen's a nice boy, which makes it much more easier. I don't think he loves him the way Ned loved his kids.

And don't forget that Jaime and Cersei were careful about their relationship at that point and if Jaime was seen to greive too much or in an unusual way, they might put that and the 'rumours' together and it'd effectively prove he was Joffrey's father.

Archived