Was Shae Tywin's spy all along?

John W

Was Shae sent to KL with Tyrion to spy on him and report back to Tywin?

Tywin probably knew that the best way to get Tyrion to take her with him was to forbid him from doing so in the first place.

Is that why she insisted on being close to Tyrion all the time despite the supposed danger Cersei represented?

ETA: I'm referring solely to the book version. Since its obvious the Shae of the TV show is not really the same as the one in the book.

What's Tywin's style?

He bedded a whore, he was very hypocrital towards Tyrion, there's a posibility, but I don't think so, she was bought by Cersei because Cersei discovered she was Tyrion's whore, and offered her a marriage with a knight and a mansion, if I'm not mistaken, so she betrayed Tyrion.

Was Shae sent to KL with Tyrion to spy on him and report back to Tywin?

Tywin probably knew that the best way to get Tyrion to take her with him was to forbid him from doing so in the first place.

Is that why she insisted on being close to Tyrion all the time despite the supposed danger Cersei represented?

I don't think so. She was a camp follower 'hired' by some knight. Bronn procured Shae for Tyrion. Seems a bit too coincidental and it would probably mean that Bronn knew about it and was in league with Tywin too.

I think the TV show hinted that Shae was actually someone elses spy.

If you are referring to that scene with Varys, the hints that when Shae arrived in Kings Landing she could have been recruited by Varys are also found in the books. ETA If so, I guess Varys played his own game, not Tywin's game.

If you are referring to that scene with Varys, the hints that when Shae arrived in Kings Landing she could have been recruited by Varys are also found in the books. ETA If so, I guess Varys played his own game, not Tywin's game.

More so i was thinking about the blackwater.

Shae sends sansa back to her room and tells her to bar the door, when sansa pleads with shae to come as well, shae says "i cant yet, i need to say goodbye to someone first"

at this point the entire castle is under the impression that the lannisters are about to lose, Tyrion is reported to have been seen leading the forces out into the field, so who is shae heading off to say goodbye too?

I must agree with others who have pointed out that Shae could have been recuited by Varys to spy for him. It makes the most sense. But I'll also point out that Shae's flipping on Tyrion after he fell from power and influence shows that she was a true whore all along. So really anyone, Tywin or Varys, could have bought her (as a spy) at any point in time. Perhaps they both could have even been paying her for secrets.

While Tywin is that devious, so it's not unthinkable, the main stumbling block to this theory is "Why would Tywin Lannister use a whore?"

He could just as easily have made a similar private arrangement with Bronn. I think he would trust a sellsword more than a whore, at least in terms of competence (not literally trust).

i've heard this theory before, but personally I don't think so.

cersei talks about questioning "Sansa's handmaidens" to Jaime, i don't think she would consider them together if Shae was a spy. she would have been the first source, not just one of the witnesses that are questioned later on.

She might be giving info to Varys, but personally i think her aim was to become rich and powerful via Tyrion.

sansa recalls Shae talking to her about Oberyn's mistress "she was barely more than a whore and now she's almost a princess" (something like that, I don't have the books here).

I think she saw herself as an Ellaria Sand 2.0 (if happened to her, why not to Shae too?), that's what she wanted.

More so i was thinking about the blackwater.

Shae sends sansa back to her room and tells her to bar the door, when sansa pleads with shae to come as well, shae says "i cant yet, i need to say goodbye to someone first"

at this point the entire castle is under the impression that the lannisters are about to lose, Tyrion is reported to have been seen leading the forces out into the field, so who is shae heading off to say goodbye too?

Ah, I forgot. I don't like what the show is doing with Shae's character, so not much has sunk in.

Could be the show is hinting at that she is in league with Littlefinger, perhaps the good people at HBO are giving some of the Ser Dontos material to Shae.

I don't tink Shae was Tywins spy because she stood in the way of some of his interests:

1. Tywin wanted that Tyrion consummate his marriage, he take his son for a horny fool, so why give him a whore who distracted him (we know this wasn't the reason Tyrion didn't bed Sansa, but out of Tywins perspectiv logical)

2. Tyrion spend a great amount of money on her, even for a rich guy like Tywin this wouldn't be smart

3. The whipping of (Chatayas daughter) would be an unnessessary cruelty, I'm sure the Tyrells didn't approve

After all I think she was Varys spy and he hole scence in Tywins chambers were set up by him to seperate Tyrion from his family, Jaime just was random aprovement, just like Tywins death

"Why would Tywin Lannister use a whore?"

What is Tyrion's biggest weakness?

How did Tywin even know that Tyrion had a "camp follower" in order for him to forbid him to take her to KL?

If he knew of her, how hard would it have been for him to send word to her and arrange for her to spy?

What is Tyrion's biggest weakness?

How did Tywin even know that Tyrion had a "camp follower" in order for him to forbid him to take her to KL?

If he knew of her, how hard would it have been for him to send word to her and arrange for her to spy?

Was there any hint in the books that Tyrion was trying to keep Shae's existence secret before he went back to Kings Landing? If anyone in the camp was gossiping about Tyrion and Shae, word could have easily gotten back to Tywin about it. In the same style, Tyrion was lucky that he managed to keep Shae a secret in KL as long as he did. Just because he wasn't parading her under Cersei's nose doesn't mean that maids or footmen or kitchen staff don't notice anything going on and talk about it.

Well, if you recall it was Tywin's camp she was a follower in. That man would know what goes on within his camp. Probably whatever knight or lord Bronn took Shae from complained about it too.

From perceiving Shae's actions in the books, it seems like Tyrion was truly smitten by Shae (obviously), but Shae was with Tyrion purely to experience life at KL inside the Red Keep, live a better life, in a possibly better place than where she was picked up from. So after Tyrion was accused by Cersei for killing Joffrey, Shae turned on him when Cersei offered her something in return (any idea what it was? I can't see to recall), thus she turned on Tyrion. Because she didn't love him truly, just his position and power.

But why would Shae soon after be sleeping with Tywin? Was it just a job? Or more?

Archived