Was Shae Tywin's spy all along?

John W

Great theory except Tywin actually paid an entire sqaud of soldiers to bang her 'in the courtyard for all to see' so probably not. Let alone the fact Tysha wasn't even a prostitute, just a local girl 'too low born' for the Lannisters. However, that is not to say I don't agree Tyrion was too flagrant with his whoring and it didn't help their relationship one little bit. But Tywin IS a big fat hypocrite because the impression he gives is that he is 'too good for that sort of thing' when in fact he is worse than Tyrion: he gang raped an innocent girl, has sex with prostitutes himself (behind closed doors) and even tried to kill his own son, who was innocent anyway. Oh yeah and he's a baby killer too. Tywin is not 'too good' for anything, he is just someone who cares more about the way he is seen than the way he really is and if those two things contradict each other then bingo you have a hypocrite.

I think the Tysha rape thing was to teach Tyrion a lesson, to humiliate him. Nobles don't marry commoners and the son of a Lord would not marry without permission, having Tysha 'be a whore' makes Tyrion feel beyond stupid and might just break him to obey his father instead of rebelling against him.

Here's a good point: how did Tywin know who Shae was in the first place, when he recruited her to give evidence against Tyrion? Either Varys made the introduction or Tywin already knew her, but judging from Cersei's error in judgement at Chatayas, it appears she was fairly well hidden (if there is such a thing as being well hidden in King's Landing). Either way, it's clear she struck up a relationship with Tywin of one form or another BEFORE the trial (rather than just being dragged at that precise moment to the court, with no clue what was going on - she had obviously been briefed on what to say), so who's to say they don't go way back? Obviously it was not Cersei who made the introduction, or any of the Lannister sub-ordinates in King's Landing. ...

Some facts:

- Cersei arrested both Shae and Brella (Sansa's other maid) when Tyrion was arrested for killing Joff and Sansa disappeared.

- Cersei told Jaime that she intended to question both Shae and Brella.

- Varys outright told Tyrion that the instant Cersei asked him about Shae, he would reveal that Shae was Tyrion's mistress. Varys also appeared in court and gave devastatingly complete evidence against Tyrion.

- It was Cersei who was in charge of the prosecution against Tyrion and brought in the witnesses against him.

It seems highly likely that when Cersei questioned Shae, Shae admitted being Tyrion's mistress and that they did a deal in which Shae agreed to say what Cersei wanted. There is absolutely no need to drag Tywin into it at all.

Some facts:

- Cersei arrested both Shae and Brella (Sansa's other maid) when Tyrion was arrested for killing Joff and Sansa disappeared.

- Cersei told Jaime that she intended to question both Shae and Brella.

- Varys outright told Tyrion that the instant Cersei asked him about Shae, he would reveal that Shae was Tyrion's mistress. Varys also appeared in court and gave devastatingly complete evidence against Tyrion.

- It was Cersei who was in charge of the prosecution against Tyrion and brought in the witnesses against him.

It seems highly likely that when Cersei questioned Shae, Shae admitted being Tyrion's mistress and that they did a deal in which Shae agreed to say what Cersei wanted. There is absolutely no need to drag Tywin into it at all.

Ah yes, this guy has a good point - SANSA. Sansa, Sansa, Sansa, connecting so many strings and yet none at all

I'm just going to say that I don't believe the Shae in the show will in the end be any different then the Shae in the books.

I really think the producers set up the betrayal with the Vary's scene and the Sansa scene where she told Shae she hated the King more than anyone.

I agree. And Tywin wanted her back in the end, so he got her. I don't know if she was spying for him all along but she's always primarily interested in the gold / silks / jewels so is faithful only to those.

Shae was always a whore, and doesn't have feelings for Tyrion, despite her "I am yours and you are mine, my giant of Lannister" act. I'm thinking of the scene when Tyrion tells her he's to marry Sansa and wants or expects Shae to be at least a little upset, but she's not bothered in the least. It's just business as usual for her.

Instead of "I want my Reek back" we have "I want my Shae back!"

Maybe that whole "my giant of Lannister" thing was just her way of not saying the wrong Lannister's name at the wrong time? :devil:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

She could have been because I don't think its realistic that Shae wouldn't be recognised at KL by at least one person , she was in the Lannister army camp when Tyrion 'met' her and at this point she wasn't a secret so the people in close proximity to his tent and fire etc will have seen her and since it's likely that only important people would be allowed to be his neighbours and at least some of these same important people would be around him at KL and therefore around Shae who frequently managed to be around him

I don't tink Shae was Tywins spy because she stood in the way of some of his interests:

1. Tywin wanted that Tyrion consummate his marriage, he take his son for a horny fool, so why give him a whore who distracted him (we know this wasn't the reason Tyrion didn't bed Sansa, but out of Tywins perspectiv logical)

2. Tyrion spend a great amount of money on her, even for a rich guy like Tywin this wouldn't be smart

3. The whipping of (Chatayas daughter) would be an unnessessary cruelty, I'm sure the Tyrells didn't approve

After all I think she was Varys spy and he hole scence in Tywins chambers were set up by him to seperate Tyrion from his family, Jaime just was random aprovement, just like Tywins death

Unless the main objective was not just to watch Tyrion but also to hurt him, to chastise him, to teach him.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So based on the books..it's very possible she worked for Lord Tywin since the day she worked in his camps and was introduced to Tyrion.

I have looked back at a lot of the scenes..and it's very possible she was in it from the start...

How many women can actually say they are attracted to dwarfs on first sight?

Especailly women who are in it for the money or lifestyle..

And All these dangers about being in the city with Tywin,...etc etc..she worked as close to Sansa as anyone else...

She walked in confidence everywhere as if she knew she was protected on many levels while being in that castle.

I think her level of betrayal is think she was having fun with Tywin pretending to be jealous of him and Sansa. I think she lived for being desired..by Tyrion and Tywin.

I think what is going on here is we have book information that clearly demonstrates her hunger for money and lifestyle first...and we are left with the imagery of sweet, kindness and love from a really great actress!!!

Who DIDN'T fall in love with Shae in the Series????

It would be an interesting edit to clip all of Shae's scenes or scenes where she is being discussed into one clip!!!!

Archived