Reading from The World of Ice and Fire

The line of Harren the Black was ended - which seems to be the fate waiting for the Freys. The Riverlords rose up against their overlords during the conquest - something which they are itching to do now as well.

I think if you look for correlations you can find them, Torrhen was a full grown man, Rickon's a boy. Assuming Sansa will be ruling is a pretty big assumption, LF won't go quietly, etc, etc.

But just to point out the Freys don't rule the Riverlands, Baelish does. I'll forgive you for the confusion... even Emmon gets confused.

• 1 month later...

Timeline question.. We have always been told that the Doom was ~500 years before Aegon's Conquest, but now it appears that should be ~400. The "Time of Blood" was ~100 years and this occurred shortly after the Targs moved to Dragonstone. The Doom came 12 years after they moved.

Postings don't seem consistent on this so I'd like to clarify.

Timeline question.. We have always been told that the Doom was ~500 years before Aegon's Conquest, but now it appears that should be ~400. The "Time of Blood" was ~100 years and this occurred shortly after the Targs moved to Dragonstone. The Doom came 12 years after they moved.

Postings don't seem consistent on this so I'd like to clarify.

The Doom occurred a century before Aegon's conquest.

Once there was talk that the Targaryen dynasty settled on Dragonstone a century before the Doom (which would have been 500 years before the series, and 200 years before the Conquest). That has now been reduced to 12 years before the Doom.

The current situation appears to be:

500 years ago: Valyrians settle on Dragonstone (but no major family, presumably just traders or something).

412 years ago: The Targaryens arrive on Dragonstone.

400 years ago: The Doom.

300 years ago: Aegon invades Westeros.

• 8 months later...

The current situation appears to be:

500 years ago: Valyrians settle on Dragonstone (but no major family, presumably just traders or something).

412 years ago: The Targaryens arrive on Dragonstone.

400 years ago: The Doom.

300 years ago: Aegon invades Westeros.

What was the 100 years of blood? Who were they at war with? Is that how the first two dragons died, during the war?

What was the 100 years of blood? Who were they at war with? Is that how the first two dragons died, during the war?

The Century of blood was the hundred years of chaos after the fall of Valyria, in which the Free Cities all attempted to fill in the power void left by the Freehold. The Targaryens were mostly uninvolved, although pre-conquest I believe Aegon did help stop Volantis from conquering Essos which I guess would be included in the Century of Blood.

Yes, the Century of Blood or the Bleeding Years was the century between the Doom of Valyria (400 years ago) and the invasion of Westeros (300 years ago). During that century the Free Cities became independent but Volantis attempted to reconquer them, declaring itself the heir to Valyria. Volantis took Lys and Myr, but an attempt to take Tyrosh saw them overreach. Braavos, Pentos, the Westerosi Storm King and apparently even Aegon agreed to combine forces to stop them and destroy the Volantene army in battle. A Volantene fleet sent to retake Valyria itself was lost on the Smoking Sea. Volantis's military power was smashed and it lost everything apart from its own territory along the lower Rhoyne.

It's also heavily inferred that the aftermath of the war saw Myr, Lys and Tyrosh squabbling over the spoils of the Volantene holdings in the Disputed Lands, and may have created that territorial dispute which is still running 'today' in the books.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived