Thread for Small Questions v. xxii

Angalin

So he definitely did fight for Ned/Robert/Jon as I thought? Kinda surprised it didn't come up at all when he first met Daenerys, perhaps an oversight I mean, it hardly matters of course, just something I noticed.

Jorah fought for Robert. Selmy fought for Rhaegar and took at least 3 wounds at the Trident. He was later pardoned. Jorah ran off ahead of Ned after he was caught selling men into slavery. He was hoping to buy forgiveness by spying on Dany.

Dany would hardly have taken this news well whenever she heard it. He last sent a message to KL when they were in Qarth and when Selmy exposed him he ended up in deep sh*t with Dany.

Looking for a quote....

one which doran is looking at naked childern - the perviest quote of that situation

BTW yes i know its out of context etc etc, i just need the perv quote

any clues to where/which i should be seeking?

Looking for a quote....

one which doran is looking at naked childern - the perviest quote of that situation

BTW yes i know its out of context etc etc, i just need the perv quote

any clues to where/which i should be seeking?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Doran watches naked children by his fountains.

IN context its is obviously innocent, of course i understand that 100pc.

OUT of context it might read more sinister.

I'm looking for the quotes which out of context make doran seem like hes being perverted.

I'm looking for the dodgy quotes in order to argue that Doran is NOT a pervert, in order to scotch them.

Understand?

Doran watches naked children by his fountains.

IN context its is obviously innocent, of course i understand that 100pc.

OUT of context it might read more sinister.

I'm looking for the quotes which out of context make doran seem like hes being perverted.

I'm looking for the dodgy quotes in order to argue that Doran is NOT a pervert, in order to scotch them.

Understand?

It's the first Areo Hotah Chapter in A Feast For Crows.

So he definitely did fight for Ned/Robert/Jon as I thought? Kinda surprised it didn't come up at all when he first met Daenerys, perhaps an oversight I mean, it hardly matters of course, just something I noticed.

He fought for Robert at the Trident. Dany accepts him because he's on the run from the "Usurper's Dogs" as well.

It's never mentioned who led the van in the Battle of the Trident. After the fighting, Robert was wounded so Ned took the army and marched on King's Landing. He lead the van in that march, only to arrive at King's Landing to find Tywin Lannister sacking the city.

Did ned lead the van at the battle of the trident?

A couple of questions:

1. Before Stannis Baratheon attacks King's Landing, Varys and Tyrion share a scene where Varys talks about how he was cut. It evolves into a point about magic and how he does not want Stannis to win because his retainers harness magic, which Varys hates. Considering his later machinations, it makes more sense that his desire for Stannis not to win had more to do with wanting to manipulate more disorder for Aegon's arrival and Stannis on the throne would not be amenable to this. Do I have this reading correct? If so, what are we to make of Varys' castration and views on magic? Was he simply lying, is it likely to come up again?
  2. Westeros is a place that demands women be virgins on their wedding night. Catelyn deduces that Hoster Tully's price for calling his banners for Jon Arryn was taking Lysa who was not a virgin and had had an abortion. Arianne Martell remains unmarried at 23 and is sexually experienced. Is she still widely believed to be a virgin or is it an open secret? Or is it simply a custom that does not exist in Dorne?

A couple of questions:

1. Before Stannis Baratheon attacks King's Landing, Varys and Tyrion share a scene where Varys talks about how he was cut. It evolves into a point about magic and how he does not want Stannis to win because his retainers harness magic, which Varys hates. Considering his later machinations, it makes more sense that his desire for Stannis not to win had more to do with wanting to manipulate more disorder for Aegon's arrival and Stannis on the throne would not be amenable to this. Do I have this reading correct? If so, what are we to make of Varys' castration and views on magic? Was he simply lying, is it likely to come up again?

2. Westeros is a place that demands women be virgins on their wedding night. Catelyn deduces that Hoster Tully's price for calling his banners for Jon Arryn was taking Lysa who was not a virgin and had had an abortion. Arianne Martell remains unmarried at 23 and is sexually experienced. Is she still widely believed to be a virgin or is it an open secret? Or is it simply a custom that does not exist in Dorne?

1. Both can be true. The story seems self-contained although his hatred of magic may still come up.

2. Dorne has different customs from the other 6 kingdoms.

A couple of questions:

1. Maybe both. I don't think he was lying for the castration. Even if he was lying for some unknown reason - the best lies are the ones that have a shred of truth. So the Stannis - magic was just bonus. If they were talking about say, Renly, he would have a reason to not want him as well. About the sacrifice of his manhood - there are theories that he is of Targ/Blackfyre descent, so they needed king's blood.

2. Yes, Dornish are more frivolous sexually. They're more tolerant to bastards, and non-virgin brides, even a sort of polygamy if I recall correctly. I don't think Arianne is keeping those things secret.

I'm comparing climates with Braavos and pentos.

My instinct is that pentos is more like dorne (with exotic fruits),

and bravvos is a colder climate that cant grow much but imports.

Do you think i'm right, and can you think of any giveaway examples of their climates? I think pentos is probably easier to prove than Braavos, its braavos i'd love to know.

are there any official maps that might show pentos havinh higher temperatures?

thanks, Yolkboy

I'm comparing climates with Braavos and pentos.

My instinct is that pentos is more like dorne (with exotic fruits),

and bravvos is a colder climate that cant grow much but imports.

Do you think i'm right, and can you think of any giveaway examples of their climates? I think pentos is probably easier to prove than Braavos, its braavos i'd love to know.

are there any official maps that might show pentos havinh higher temperatures?

thanks, Yolkboy

Well, Braavos is the same latitude as the Vale of Arryn, while Pentos is the same latitude as Blackwater Bay and the Crownlands, so I'd not say they have very different climates. Maybe average climate to both of them. Now Myr, Lys, Tyrosh and Volantis - I think that's where it gets Dornish/Tropical/Equatorial.

At begining of AFFC Cersei is thinking that Varys had something to do with Tryion escaping cause of the use of the tunnels. Does she ever confront him bout this?? Honestly in drawing a total blank on anything Varys related in AFFC and ADWD until the epilouge!!! Anyone help me out?

Varys disappeared with Tyrion, and never returned until the ADWD epilogue.

Archived