Thread for Small Questions v. xxii

Angalin

In the crypts, some of the Stark Lords and Kings in the North had statues of direwolves beside them. Did any of them have direwolf companions?

There is nothing in the text, so it's wild speculation ... but I suspect the Stark Kings of Winter / the Lords of Winterfell once did connect with actual direwolves and that a direwolf pup was given to the Stark kid that was intended to be the next king of the north, to train and bond. Like Targaryens got a dragon egg.

I suppose this tradition was lost and forgotten when the Wall was built, making it difficult for direwolves to roam the entire North and even the southern parts of Westeros and confined them to a territory in which there was not enough food for them to keep large numbers. I recently posted my thoughts as a theorette in the last Heresy thread.

Does anyone think that there is some significance, beyond the obvious slap in the face type insult, to beheading Ned with his own sword?

I guess Tywin planned to use the Valyrian steel of which Ice was made to provide House Lannister with Valyrian swords, after all his attempts failed to buy one. And it would make a nice thought that before the sword was melted down it was used to kill the former owner, in this maybe truly breaking the bond between the owner / House Stark and the sword.

I guess Tywin planned to use the Valyrian steel of which Ice was made to provide House Lannister with Valyrian swords, after all his attempts failed to buy one. And it would make a nice thought that before the sword was melted down it was used to kill the former owner, in this maybe truly breaking the bond between the owner / House Stark and the sword.

Tywin wasn't there, it was meant as a insult by Joff (IMO). Tywin thought that it was a stupid thing to do and sent Tyrion to KL to stop Joff and Cersei from doing any thing else stupid. The bold part Tywin did do after the Battle of Blackwater, by that point the Robb had declared himself a King.

When Bran, Rickon, Hodor, and Osha leave the crypts and begin their journey north, they take some of the swords that were left in front of the tombs of the ancient Starks "to keep their souls from wandering". Will there be any consequences for the removal of those swords?

That would be a Topic, not a small question.

I was just wondering, how good are the most skilled knights currently alive in comparison with Arthur Dayne? Or are they not fit to lace his boots?

Well, there was a reference by Martin about that. The question was about who would win - Selmy in his prime or Dayne in his prime. Martin said Dayne if he wielded Dawn, if not - it would be a close match. So yes, Dayne was really really good, but not completely unmatched. Maybe Jaime against him without Dawn (and Jaime with two hands of course) would be a close match as well.

Does the noose typically leave scars? I've read a post here recently, referring to either Brienne or Pod (don't remember exactly) having neck scars, but I wouldn't have thought they'd have them. I would expect serious bruises, not scars, but I don't know a lot about this type of injuries, so..

Does the noose typically leave scars? I've read a post here recently, referring to either Brienne or Pod (don't remember exactly) having neck scars, but I wouldn't have thought they'd have them. I would expect serious bruises, not scars, but I don't know a lot about this type of injuries, so..

I wouldn't think so, since they were actually cut down pretty quickly, assuming it happened right after Brienne shouted "the word." But I am no expert to say the least.

I doubt scars although possible. But bruising and some serious rope burn for sure since they didn't hang for long.

I wouldn't think so, since they were actually cut down pretty quickly, assuming it happened right after Brienne shouted "the word." But I am no expert to say the least.

I doubt scars although possible. But bruising and some serious rope burn for sure since they didn't hang for long.

Thank you!

This quote is from Dany's wedding to drogo....

"Yet among them moved bravos and sellswords from Pentos and Myr and Tyrosh, a red priest even fatter than Illyrio, hairy men from the Port of Ibben, and lords from the Summer Isles with skin as black as ebony"

Does anyone know if this red priest is someone we could have met???

This quote is from Dany's wedding to drogo....

"Yet among them moved bravos and sellswords from Pentos and Myr and Tyrosh, a red priest even fatter than Illyrio, hairy men from the Port of Ibben, and lords from the Summer Isles with skin as black as ebony"

Does anyone know if this red priest is someone we could have met???

Some people have speculated it is Moqorro, but there is no reason to speculate that. He's part of the scenery.

Some people have speculated it is Moqorro, but there is no reason to speculate that. He's part of the scenery.

....a part of the scenery who is also the only red priest we know of to have come into contact with Dany. Unless you include Miiri, who's Asshai background might be questionable. I seriously think George plans things like background scenery more than is imagined by most people. Why have a red priest there and then an absence of them on her journey?

....a part of the scenery who is also the only red priest we know of to have come into contact with Dany. Unless you include Miiri, who's Asshai background might be questionable. I seriously think George plans things like background scenery more than is imagined by most people. Why have a red priest there and then an absence of them on her journey?

While being fatter than Illyrio is something notable, when people are black skinned this is always mentioned. Moqoro was really black. Who's POV was that?

Is it ever mentioned how long Melisandre has been with Stannis or did he pick her up after Jon Arryn`s death?

I don`t remember any mention of here ever being at court, although I assume that Selyse was always on Dragonstone even when Stannis attended the small council and that Melisandre was originally with Selyse. But if that`s true you`d think Selyse and Melisandre would have a closer relationship rather than Selyse just being an absolute fanatic.

So yeah, how long has Melisandre been knocking around Dragonstone/with Stannis?

Just answered: what happened to Arya's iron coin.

A new one to kick off:

Not sure we know about Arya's iron coin. Neither the kindly man nor the waif took it. They looked at it. When Arya discarded her treasures, GRRM was very specific about the coins she tossed. No iron coin. She returned to her cell with nothing. (she hid needle, but no mention of hiding the iron coin) By elimination I suspect she still has it, left it in her cell. Why not - she can now give it to someone else, like Jaqen did.

Archived