Thread for Small Questions v. xxii

Angalin

While being fatter than Illyrio is something notable, when people are black skinned this is always mentioned. Moqoro was really black. Who's POV was that?

Moqorro being blacker than Summer Islanders was remarkable since SI were described as black as jet and black as ebony. There is one point later when they were described as more of a dark brown which I put down to GRRM brain fart. I think it was Victarion;s POV but could have been Tyrions on the Stinky Steward.

In fact Alleras the sphinx was described as a mongrel with a Summer Islander in his background but skin of teak.

Moqorro being blacker than Summer Islanders was remarkable since SI were described as black as jet and black as ebony. There is one point later when they were described as more of a dark brown which I put down to GRRM brain fart. I think it was Victarion;s POV but could have been Tyrions on the Stinky Steward.

In fact Alleras the sphinx was described as a mongrel with a Summer Islander in his background but skin of teak.

Yes, but what I meant was - whose POV was the priest at the wedding. I presume Dany. I thought whether it was normal to miss Moqorro's distinct skin colour, while still noticing his fatness.

A question about timeline. We know that Jon was born 8-9 months before Daenerys and people assume that it was around the Sack and that Daenerys was born 8-9 months later in Dragonstone. But isn't that time period too long?

I mean, Battle of the Trident, then the Sack happened, Eddard arrived shortly after Tywin and angered by the children's death rode to lift Storm's End siege where there was no battle and then Stannis sailed to Dragonstone. Is it possible a journey from Trident to KL, from KL to Storm's End and from there to Dragonstone to last 9 months?

It must took them much less time which means Daenerys was born quiet a few months earlier which means that Jon was conceived at the beginning or shortly before the rebellion.

What do you think?

Yes, but what I meant was - whose POV was the priest at the wedding. I presume Dany. I thought whether it was normal to miss Moqorro's distinct skin colour, while still noticing his fatness.

It's dany POV ch.1

but she seems to be getting guidance from Illyrio as to who the people are at her wedding.

Yet among them moved bravos and sellswords from Pentos and Myr and Tyrosh, a red priest even fatter than Illyrio, hairy men from the Port of Ibben, and lords from the Summer Isles with skin as black as ebony. Daenerys looked at them all in wonder... and realized, with a sudden start of fear, that she was the only woman there.

Illyrio whispered to them. “Those three are Drogo’s bloodriders, there,” he said.

FL, i can tell youre making some kind of point , but i'm a bit slow today and cant quite understand what you mean!

A question about timeline. We know that Jon was born 8-9 months before Daenerys and people assume that it was around the Sack and that Daenerys was born 8-9 months later in Dragonstone. But isn't that time period too long?

I mean, Battle of the Trident, then the Sack happened, Eddard arrived shortly after Tywin and angered by the children's death rode to lift Storm's End siege where there was no battle and then Stannis sailed to Dragonstone. Is it possible a journey from Trident to KL, from KL to Storm's End and from there to Dragonstone to last 9 months?

It must took them much less time which means Daenerys was born quiet a few months earlier which means that Jon was conceived at the beginning or shortly before the rebellion.

What do you think?

I dont think Stannis set sail for Dragonstone immediately after the siege was lifted. He probably went to KL to meet with Robert who declared(snubbed him) Lord of Dragonstone. Them he took command of the Royal Fleet. I could be way off though.

I dont think Stannis set sail for Dragonstone immediately after the siege was lifted. He probably went to KL to meet with Robert who declared(snubbed him) Lord of Dragonstone. Them he took command of the Royal Fleet. I could be way off though.

No. Stannis sailed to Dragonstone and then found out that he was named lord of Dragonstone.

Is it ever mentioned how long Melisandre has been with Stannis or did he pick her up after Jon Arryn`s death?

I don`t remember any mention of here ever being at court, although I assume that Selyse was always on Dragonstone even when Stannis attended the small council and that Melisandre was originally with Selyse. But if that`s true you`d think Selyse and Melisandre would have a closer relationship rather than Selyse just being an absolute fanatic.

So yeah, how long has Melisandre been knocking around Dragonstone/with Stannis?

Good question, I've been wondering this myself. I think it's implied she's quite a recent arrival - after Stannis leaves KL for Dragonstone - but I can't say for sure.

It's dany POV ch.1

but she seems to be getting guidance from Illyrio as to who the people are at her wedding.

Yet among them moved bravos and sellswords from Pentos and Myr and Tyrosh, a red priest even fatter than Illyrio, hairy men from the Port of Ibben, and lords from the Summer Isles with skin as black as ebony. Daenerys looked at them all in wonder... and realized, with a sudden start of fear, that she was the only woman there.

Illyrio whispered to them. “Those three are Drogo’s bloodriders, there,” he said.

FL, i can tell youre making some kind of point , but i'm a bit slow today and cant quite understand what you mean!

Not really a point, more like thoughts on your question.

Your question implied that the priest fatter than Illiryo might be Moqorro, right? So I asked about the POV to see who observes him (Dany) and started wondering whether, provided that it really is Moqorro, she would notice his fatness only, and not his really black skin.

The answer is - I don't know. And the quote you provided is good, but after reading it - same answer, I don't know

The answer is - I don't know. And the quote you provided is good, but after reading it - same answer, I don't know

Ah, gotcha. And i'm the same, just wondering about this. If it was Moqorro, George might not want the link to be too obvious and its therefore made ambiguous. If it just a random red priest then we will never know who it was. I'm leaning towards the first explanation, but its unprovable at the present.

During Robert's Rebellion, some Stormland Lords, Vale Lords and Riverland Lords opposed their liege, and fought for Aerys, did anyone in the North oppose Ned?

We have no evidence to suggest they were not all faithful and loyal.

What do you think?

No, we are explicitly told that Daenerys was born "nine moons" after her family's flight to Dragonstone, and in ASOS we are told that they went to Dragonstone right after news arrived about the Trident. Remember, Stannis actually built a new fleet before sailing to Dragonstone, which explains the relatively large gap between the Sack and the siege of Dragonstone.

Question: How do we know that Princess Myriah is a Martell? This is stated in the Wiki but I havent located it in the books. (She married Daeron II to ally the Targs with Dorne)

We know because her first son with Daeron II, Baelor Breakspear, had the Martell colouring 'after his Dornish mother'. This is from The Hedge Knight.

I lean toward this guy being part of the scenery.

can someone quikly remind of what was in that letter?

It is not certain there was a letter. Ned asked Varys if he would deliver a letter, Varys said he would decide after reading such a letter. What happened then GRRM is not telling.

It is not certain there was a letter. Ned asked Varys if he would deliver a letter, Varys said he would decide after reading such a letter. What happened then GRRM is not telling.

Aha, so we don't even know what Ned was going to write if such a letter even exists. Thanks.

Archived