Thread for Small Questions v. xxii

Angalin

Aha, so we don't even know what Ned was going to write if such a letter even exists. Thanks.

It is pure assumtion weather Ned wrote the letter and/or the subject of the letter. Ned was thinking about Jon in the dungeons and wishing he could speak with him one last time. GRRM is leading us to believe there may be a clue in a letter that was perhaps written. GRRM standard answer, keep reading.

It is pure assumtion weather Ned wrote the letter and/or the subject of the letter. Ned was thinking about Jon in the dungeons and wishing he could speak with him one last time. GRRM is leading us to believe there may be a clue in a letter that was perhaps written. GRRM standard answer, keep reading.

Thank you. Was it only a "keep reading" or was there something else in his answer? Now I am certain that the subject of the letter would have been Jon's parentage.

Thank you. Was it only a "keep reading" or was there something else in his answer? Now I am certain that the subject of the letter would have been Jon's parentage.

I don't remember this. The only letter I remember was the letter Ned was going to send to Stannis to let him know he was the rightful heir....

Ned was writing more letters? How did I miss that. The only interaction I remember him having w/Varys in the cells was when he was thinking about taking the black to keep his daughters safe.

GRRM was ask a question about the letter or message and weather Ned did in fact write it and give it to Varys. GRRM's reply was, keep reading. In his interviews he often answers questions bout his hints with that reply.

I don't remember this. The only letter I remember was the letter Ned was going to send to Stannis to let him know he was the rightful heir....

Ned was writing more letters? How did I miss that. The only interaction I remember him having w/Varys in the cells was when he was thinking about taking the black to keep his daughters safe.

Page 633 AGOT. Ned says to Varys, Will you at least consent to carry a message out for me? That would depend on the message. I will gladly provide you with paper and ink,if you like. And when you have written what you will, I will take the letter and read it, and deliver it or not, as best serves my own needs.

GRRM was ask a question about the letter or message and weather Ned did in fact write it and give it to Varys. GRRM's reply was, keep reading. In his interviews he often answers questions bout his hints with that reply.

Thanks for this info! It;s more of a spoiler than I was hoping for. Dont know why he didnt just write it in. My best candidate for Jon's parentage. Now, what willl Varys do with THAT bombshell? I am sure he can use it for his own purposes especially if that purpose is to put a Targ up for King. I wonder if the stabby at the Wall will get Jon to Meereen somehow? The letter will be huge now that we know it exists.

Thanks for this info! It;s more of a spoiler than I was hoping for. Dont know why he didnt just write it in. My best candidate for Jon's parentage. Now, what willl Varys do with THAT bombshell? I am sure he can use it for his own purposes especially if that purpose is to put a Targ up for King. I wonder if the stabby at the Wall will get Jon to Meereen somehow? The letter will be huge now that we know it exists.

I don't think "Keep reading" always means there is something there. I am almost certain that GRRM sometimes messes around with this answer and sometimes there will be nothing there, just to confuse us and keep the mystery going. I think the statement that now we know it exists is strong to say the least.

I don't think "Keep reading" always means there is something there. I am almost certain that GRRM sometimes messes around with this answer and sometimes there will be nothing there, just to confuse us and keep the mystery going. I think the statement that now we know it exists is strong to say the least.

I fear you are right, I'm not getting my hopes up for something like that to happen.

Why did the White Walker let the third ranger go? (The one whose head Ned took off). They could have killed him, but he got away despite being only a few metres away from the White Walker.

That only happened in the show, not the book. You'd have to ask the producers.

In the book he hid on top of a tree I think, I've always read it as a sign the Others were not omnipotent.

Wyl hid in a tree. Gared ran off, I think.

Question! Could anybody help me with the ages of Jon and Daenerys by the end of aDwD? They would be 17,18? It's really hard for me to keep track of time with these books.

I think they're both 16 at this point. Jon may be close to 17.

Jon turns 17 in year 300, and Dany turns 17 in 301. Joffrey and Margery's wedding is on day 1 of 300 and there is no marker yet for the turning of the year to 301. Best estimate is that Jon is 17 and Daenerys is still 16.

I guess this is a "small" question...

Why did Tywin Lannister marry a cousin from a cadet branch of his house? Wouldn't the heir to Casterly Rock been an eligible bachelor whose betrothal could've brokered a more useful/powerful alliance with a different house?

We do know from a conversation between Jaime and his aunt Genna that Tytos (Tywin's father) was born a younger son (and so craved the approval of his elders, like Walder Frey). But I have the impression that Tytos had become heir to Casterly Rock by the time that Tywin was 10. Why? Because it was at age 10 that young Tywin stood up to his father and Walder Frey about his sister's betrothal to Frey's second son--not even an heir. Would that match have been "unreasonable"--and would Lord Frey have made the journey in the first place--if Tytos and his children didn't stand to inherit anything?

So--it doesn't much matter why, but I've been curious about the reason behind Tywin and Joanna's marriage. Was it simply love?

I guess this is a "small" question...

Why did Tywin Lannister marry a cousin from a cadet branch of his house? Wouldn't the heir to Casterly Rock been an eligible bachelor whose betrothal could've brokered a more useful/powerful alliance with a different house?

We do know from a conversation between Jaime and his aunt Genna that Tytos (Tywin's father) was born a younger son (and so craved the approval of his elders, like Walder Frey). But I have the impression that Tytos had become heir to Casterly Rock by the time that Tywin was 10. Why? Because it was at age 10 that young Tywin stood up to his father and Walder Frey about his sister's betrothal to Frey's second son--not even an heir. Would that match have been "unreasonable"--and would Lord Frey have made the journey in the first place--if Tytos and his children didn't stand to inherit anything?

So--it doesn't much matter why, but I've been curious about the reason behind Tywin and Joanna's marriage. Was it simply love?

I think that is it. Love, sweet love.

Note that Tywin also never remarried. Surely he was as eligible a widower as he was a bachelor - he could have remarried strategically after Joanna died, but he never did.

Archived