Thread for Small Questions v. xxii

Angalin

No, we are explicitly told that Daenerys was born "nine moons" after her family's flight to Dragonstone, and in ASOS we are told that they went to Dragonstone right after news arrived about the Trident. Remember, Stannis actually built a new fleet before sailing to Dragonstone, which explains the relatively large gap between the Sack and the siege of Dragonstone.

Thanks. I guess it makes sense then.

If he did it was through Ghost.

Thanks! That's what I thought too but it seems to be long before we are given any indication of Jon warging Ghost.

At the wall, when LC Mormont informs Jon that Ned has been arrested for treason, Jon is concerned about the girls and thinks, "Their wolves might have kept them safe, but Lady is dead and Nymeria's lost, they're all alone."

It just seems that Jon is aware of the situation and more certain of the details than what he might have picked up from Ghost..?

I'm sure three was a part where Arya was in the house of the many faced god (B&W House) looking around at the different god symbols.

Anyone know where this is, or could post a small quote so i can find it on my virtual book.

thanks in advance!

Is it an accepted theory now that stone heart and the bwb are planning another red wedding at riverrun?

It is a theory, it depends on what you mean by accepted. IMO no, there may be a wedding, and there might be death but since GRRM said that was the hardest thing he ever had to write, I don't see it. We have a Red wedding, a purple wedding, and Ramsey/FAyra (whats the fake Arya wedding? grey?). we might have a blue, green, or orange wedding but not another Red. here is a link.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/67579-red-wedding-20/

I'm sure three was a part where Arya was in the house of the many faced god (B&W House) looking around at the different god symbols.

Anyone know where this is, or could post a small quote so i can find it on my virtual book.

thanks in advance!

Chapter 6, Arya I from Feast. Here's a quote:

Slowly her eyes adjusted. The temple seemed much larger within than it had without. The septs of Westeros were seven-sided, with seven altars for the seven gods, but here there were more gods than seven. Statues of them stood along the walls, massive and threatening. Around their feet red candles flickered, as dim as distant stars. The nearest was a marble woman twelve feet tall. Real tears were trickling from her eyes, to fill the bowl she cradled in her arms. Beyond her was a man with a lion’s head seated on a throne, carved of ebony. On the other side of the doors, a huge horse of bronze and iron reared up on two great legs. Farther on she could make out a great stone face, a pale infant with a sword, a shaggy black goat the size of an aurochs, a hooded man leaning on a staff. The rest were only looming shapes to her, half-seen through the gloom. Between the gods were hidden alcoves thick with shadows, with here and there a candle burning.

I remember thinking that in the prologue in aFfC the faceless man was jaqen but now that I think back I can't remember if that was confirmed or not am I just totally misremembering it?

It is Jaqen, you have it right.

Compare this description of the alchemist, "A young mans face, ordinary, with full cheeks and the shadow of a beard. A scar showed faintly on his right cheek. He had a hooked nose, and a mat of dense black hair that curled tightly around his ears," (IV: 15) with this one: "Jaqen passed a hand down his face from forehead to chin, and where it went he changed. His cheeks grew fuller, his eyes closer; his nose hooked, a scar appeared on his right cheek where no scar had been before. And when he shook his head, his long straight hair, half red and half white, dissolved away to reveal a cap of tight black curls." (II: 505)

It seems clear that the "alchemist" is Jaqen H’ghar (see 6.2.3 Who is Jaqen H’ghar) in his latest guise. After killing Pate, it seems obvious that he then takes on Pate’s form as we see at the end of the novel (IV: 684) to carry out whatever his purpose is in the Citadel.

Does anyone else find it strange that Ethan Glover lived? All the others from Brandon's group were killed and even their fathers who had no part in this. It was an impulsive decision on Brandon's part, nothing planned, but they were killed all the same. So why was he spared? And is it a coincidence that he, a simple squire, was chosen as one of the six who accompanied Eddard to the ToJ?

Does anyone else find it strange that Ethan Glover lived? All the others from Brandon's group were killed and even their fathers who had no part in this. It was an impulsive decision on Brandon's part, nothing planned, but they were killed all the same. So why was he spared? And is it a coincidence that he, a simple squire, was chosen as one of the six who accompanied Eddard to the ToJ?

Why he was spared is important, I guess and I suspect it will be revealed when we hear more about what really happened with Rhaegar and Lyanna. Ethan may have not been a simple squire, he was one of Ned's ' trusted companions'. But I don't think it is a coincidence that the one who survived the slaughter by Aerys was taken on Ned's party.

Could Lysa have ever had healthy children? From the medical knowledge we're aware of in-universe, it seems that the longer you wait to drink moon tea, the more danger there is of bleeding out. Considering that Lysa was probably 3-4 months along, it had to have done some damage internally. Combine that with Jon Arryn's (How to put this delicately)....lack of fertility, and it seems like it would be highly unlikely for Lysa to ever birth a non-sickly child.

Archived