Thread for Small Questions v. xxii

Angalin

He wants the regime at King's Landing weakened, now that the Golden Company and a certain pretender for the throne is in Westeros. The Lannisters may think the Tyrells killed Kevan and Pycelle. And maybe Cersei will rise to power again and make a mess of it.

ETA Varys: It was for the realm. For the children.(snip) Doubt, division and mistrust will eat the very ground beneath your boy king.

He wants the regime at King's Landing weakened, now that the Golden Company and a certain pretender for the throne is in Westeros. The Lannisters may think the Tyrells killed Kevan and Pycelle. And maybe Cersei will rise to power again and make a mess of it.

ETA Varys: It was for the realm. For the children.(snip) Doubt, division and mistrust will eat the very ground beneath your boy king.

Ok, so he wants to let the Lannisters destroy themselves, and Kevan was just too competent to let that happen?

You would think he'd want a stable kingdom "for the children, for the realm", but that's probably a discussion with more depth than appropriate for a "thread for small questions".

Thanks for responding

Does Tywin ever discuss it himself? I can only find other people talking about the trap, who say it was to kill or capture Ned. In which case Tywin is nowhere as smart as he's treated. How did he expect the North to react to him ambushing and murdering Ned? And what about Robert? How did he expect to deal with half the realm fighting the Lannisters (and while he was happy to make as many enemies as possible he made no effort to get any allies)? It's just another example of how fucking lucky the Lannisters were.

I personally think Tywin always expected Ned Stark to pass judgement and deal with Gregor himself. It's the kind of thing Robert would make Ned do, rather than bother himself with it. They needed Ned out of the way so Cercei could kill Robert without trouble.

Tywin does mention that Gregor is "expendable," and may have already decided the monster had served his usefulness. It's altogether possible that Tywin had plans to kill Ned, blame Gregor, and then execute him to appease the Martells. Just a theory.

Ok, so he wants to let the Lannisters destroy themselves, and Kevan was just too competent to let that happen?

You would think he'd want a stable kingdom "for the children, for the realm", but that's probably a discussion with more depth than appropriate for a "thread for small questions".

Thanks for responding

"for the realm"...not wanting to give spoilers but

I was laughed around the block for suggesting Illyrio and Varys were partnered to capture the realm for themselves. I was laughed at bc to the laughers this was blindingly obvious. Well, better to be obviously right (sic) than wrong. Sic because we could be wrong!

I guess laughers can laugh at me too, bc I didn't realize it either

"for the realm"...not wanting to give spoilers but

I was laughed around the block for suggesting Illyrio and Varys were partnered to capture the realm for themselves. I was laughed at bc to the laughers this was blindingly obvious. Well, better to be obviously right (sic) than wrong. Sic because we could be wrong!

Why did LC Mormount take the black?

Just a guess:) :

The Old Bear made a comment about his sister that might be a reason why he wanted to "get away". He found it hard to be in Maege's presence so I wonder if the LC was a little bit old fashioned and sexist? Being surrounded by all those warrior chicks wielding axes and having unwed babies might have freaked him out to the point he felt compelled to leave. Plus, Lynesse was miserable on Bear Island and wanted a fancier life after she married Jorah.That might have made the Mormont homestead an unhappy place for Jeor to be and he joined the Watch to escape all that drama.

In ADWD Tyrion plays Haldon for secrets and wins. A page later something is said about a big turtle heralding the birth of kings. I presume this is how Tyrion learned

that Aegon (or fake Aegon) was with them

I used to think he just was a sharp observer and questioner bc he certainly was that. But the question of the wager had not been answered to my knowledge.

Archived