Thread for Small Questions v. xxii

Angalin

I'm a newbie so sorry if this question has already been asked:

Whats the origin of the "rains of castamere" song?

I bought the season 2 soundtrack on iTunes and the song was pretty cool.

The song commemorated Tywin Lannister's victory over House Reyne of Castamere in their rebellion against the Lannisters.

I don't recall any mentions, does anybody knows if the Redwynes have a castle in The Arbor? or just like, a "villa" or something like that.

Every lord in Westeros has a castle, except the Glovers, Mormonts and some other lords in the North. The Redwynes most likely have a castle in The Arbor.

Every lord in Westeros has a castle, except the Glovers, Mormonts and some other lords in the North. The Redwynes most likely have a castle in The Arbor.

Deepwood Motte is a motte and bailey castle. I think the Mormont's seat is a motte and bailey too. Only Howland seems to not live in a castle

Victarion is wounded in a fight, dresses the wound but it festers dramatically. He wonders about this and goes as far as supposing that the knight that wounded him used a poisonous weapon. In the same context he reflects on his dusky woman and that they become close. I wonder ... he treats her not very nice ... she is dressing his wound ... is it possible she deliberately infects his wound? Just wondering if this has been brought up (couldn't find it in a thread).

I wonder ... he treats her not very nice ... she is dressing his wound ... is it possible she deliberately infects his wound? Just wondering if this has been brought up (couldn't find it in a thread).

Aye, there's a possibility since she basically is Euron's creature. But there isn't any proof in the text as of yet, so I doubt this question can be answered yet. He could of course be poisoned as well. I belive we'll get this answered in the future.

A couple of questions:

1. Before Stannis Baratheon attacks King's Landing, Varys and Tyrion share a scene where Varys talks about how he was cut. It evolves into a point about magic and how he does not want Stannis to win because his retainers harness magic, which Varys hates. Considering his later machinations, it makes more sense that his desire for Stannis not to win had more to do with wanting to manipulate more disorder for Aegon's arrival and Stannis on the throne would not be amenable to this. Do I have this reading correct? If so, what are we to make of Varys' castration and views on magic? Was he simply lying, is it likely to come up again?

2. Westeros is a place that demands women be virgins on their wedding night. Catelyn deduces that Hoster Tully's price for calling his banners for Jon Arryn was taking Lysa who was not a virgin and had had an abortion. Arianne Martell remains unmarried at 23 and is sexually experienced. Is she still widely believed to be a virgin or is it an open secret? Or is it simply a custom that does not exist in Dorne?

1. open to debate

2. Dorneish customs are different as in oberons paramore and his illigitimate daughters in positions of power

What is moat cailin major defense? Is it the swamps?

wouldn't Moat Cailin major defense be the moat? It has walls as well.

I believe the natural defenses if Moat Cailin are very beneficial. There is a narrow causeway that is the only passable area in the neck, and it is surrounded by the marshes. Also, there are towers strategically placed so if you try to storm one of them, you are subjected to arrow fire from the rest of them. I believe there are 3 towers still up and functional, although they are in ruins. I actually don't remember anything saying there was a moat, as we picture it (man-made river surrounding the castle), but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility given the fortress' name.

Can dragons fly or operate effectively north of the wall?

hhhhmmmm... weeeeeell, if they can fly in the North, why not north of the Wall??? (I mean, why would Torrhen Stark bent the knee if not for fear of the dragons?). and to take it a bit further. If dragons can't fly north due to the cold does that mean that the Others can't go south?

By the way I remember that good queen Alysanne and king Jaehaerys used to ride their dragons to visit the Wall. But I don't remember if that was during the winter or summer....

Dunk & Egg related question: in the Mystery Knight, there was a Lord Frey in the wedding who was accompanied by his little, super annoying (he's actually described as such) little boy. Is there any chance this boy was....the Late Lord Frey???????

Dunk & Egg related question: in the Mystery Knight, there was a Lord Frey in the wedding who was accompanied by his little, super annoying (he's actually described as such) little boy. Is there any chance this boy was....the Late Lord Frey???????

You better believe it! Where else would he learn treachery at a wedding?

Yes thats the little b****** as I read it

Archived