Thread for Small Questions v. xxii

Angalin

hhhhmmmm... weeeeeell, if they can fly in the North, why not north of the Wall??? (I mean, why would Torrhen Stark bent the knee if not for fear of the dragons?). and to take it a bit further. If dragons can't fly north due to the cold does that mean that the Others can't go south?

By the way I remember that good queen Alysanne and king Jaehaerys used to ride their dragons to visit the Wall. But I don't remember if that was during the winter or summer....

North of the wall is colder so a creature made of fire would go out if its too cold. Upto winterfell they would have still been effective. I trying to find out if they could be used against the others in the land of always winter realy, just wondering if there was any specific reference to alysanes dragon been affected by the cold. I cant find that passage in the books.

I was wondering if anybody has a direct source stating whether or not Casterly Rock is located on the coast?

It seems most people place it on a coastline, but maps seem to indicate that it's further inland north of Lannisport. If anybody has any more details on Lannisport and Casterly Rock's geography that would be helpful to me.

From which sources do we have so much information about the past events of Westeros, before ASoIaF? I mean, lots of details about all the Targaryen Kings, and also characters like Bloodraven, Bittersteel, etc? Dunk and Egg adventures maybe, or something alike? I haven't read those so...

There were a lot of questions about the past Targaryen kings, so GRRM did a big ole update of them. I think it's under the SSM stuff.

I imagine a lot of it will come out in the upcoming World of Ice and Fire book.

But as far as characters like Bloodraven and Bittersteel, there is quite a bit of info about them in the books as well as Dunk & Egg

Did Theon Greyjoy participate in actual fighting in a battle? How many battles did he fight? I'm pretty sure he fought at the Whispering Wood, but not confirmed.

If he did, it seems of all the things people think he is, he sure as hell isn't a coward and isn't a green boy. Kind of.

Definitely fought at the Whispering Wood, he always mentions how close he was to crossing blades with the Kingslayer. He would have also fought at the Battle of the Camps (breaking the siege of Riverrun). I believe he was sent to Pyke after that though. He might have even been sent before that battle. I can't recall now.....

From which sources do we have so much information about the past events of Westeros, before ASoIaF? I mean, lots of details about all the Targaryen Kings, and also characters like Bloodraven, Bittersteel, etc? Dunk and Egg adventures maybe, or something alike? I haven't read those so...

There is a ton in the books, but you have to pick it out with tweezers. The other stuff is icing.

North of the wall is colder so a creature made of fire would go out if its too cold. Upto winterfell they would have still been effective. I trying to find out if they could be used against the others in the land of always winter realy, just wondering if there was any specific reference to alysanes dragon been affected by the cold. I cant find that passage in the books.

well from what I remember there's no such reference but if you want to check it out its in the Storm of Swords, both Jon's and Bran's POVs when Bran stays in the tower in the middle of the lake, built for queen Alysanne with the Reeds and Jon is in the opposite village with the wildlings.

well from what I remember there's no such reference but if you want to check it out its in the Storm of Swords, both Jon's and Bran's POVs when Bran stays in the tower in the middle of the lake, built for queen Alysanne with the Reeds and Jon is in the opposite village with the wildlings.

Thanks, will have to check it out when I get my books back. 'Neither a borrower nor a lended be' (LORD POLONIUS)

There were a lot of questions about the past Targaryen kings, so GRRM did a big ole update of them. I think it's under the SSM stuff.

I imagine a lot of it will come out in the upcoming World of Ice and Fire book.

But as far as characters like Bloodraven and Bittersteel, there is quite a bit of info about them in the books as well as Dunk & Egg

Huum, interesting... I mentioned Bloodraven because people often refer to the 3EC as beeing him, but I can't recall reading this name (Bloodraven) even once in the books (ok, maybe once, but I have my doubts), so I was curious... Bittersteel was just another one that came to my mind since they have a connection :]

So Tywin sent Gregor Clegane raiding in the Riverlands to set up a trap for Ned so he could capture him and trade him for Tyrion. He was relying on the belief that Ned would want to ride out to kill Gregor himself. But Ned was the one hearing the plea from the smallfolk and ordering Gregor's death because Robert was out hunting. If Robert was the one hearing, he would either go himself or order someone, and I doubt he'd send Ned, and Ned wouldn't feel any need to do it himself since he wasn't the one giving orders. And how the fuck did he think Robert was going to react to Tywin going around burning territory and then attacking the Hand of the King who went to stop it?

Huum, interesting... I mentioned Bloodraven because people often refer to the 3EC as beeing him, but I can't recall reading this name (Bloodraven) even once in the books (ok, maybe once, but I have my doubts), so I was curious... Bittersteel was just another one that came to my mind since they have a connection :]

HIs name in the books is Brynden. It is strongly hinted that he is Bloodraven IIRC only in the D and E stories but you dont need to know any of that to completely follow the story in the main books. Thats why I refer to him as Brynden so as to connect both sources.

Bloodraven was actually mentioned by Maester Aemon in AFFC, in one of Sam's chapters. But it's never made explicit in the books proper that Brynden the 3EC and Bloodraven are the same person. To make that connection, you do have to read the novellas (or, in this case, the boards).

ETA-- Actually, I just realized that the reader can make a connection between Bloodraven and the 3EC using only the novels. Basically, we are told in AFFC that the song "A Thousand Eyes, And One" is about Bloodraven, and in ADWD, Brynden uses the line "a thousand eyes and one" to describe himself. So it's not impossible for the reader to make the connection on his or her own, just more difficult.

ETA-- Actually, I just realized that the reader can make a connection between Bloodraven and the 3EC using only the novels. Basically, we are told in AFFC that the song "A Thousand Eyes, And One" is about Bloodraven, and in ADWD, Brynden uses the line "a thousand eyes and one" to describe himself. So it's not impossible for the reader to make the connection on his or her own, just more difficult.

Those darn tweezers <G>

He say his name was Brynden, his father was a king, his brother was a king, he had a brother he hated and a sister he loved. All of which we know about thru other sources.

He say his name was Brynden, his father was a king, his brother was a king, he had a brother he hated and a sister he loved. All of which we know about thru other sources.

The *name* Bloodraven to me was the hitch. I had not noticed it in the books

Archived