Thread for Small Questions v. xxii

Angalin

Why did The Others let one of the rangers escape in the first book? (the one carrying the message and get his head of in return)

seems to me they did it on purpose. but than, why warn your enemies if u wanna conquer and kill em alltogether?

I don't think they "let" Gared escape. They either just didn't know about him, or he was able to get away on horseback.

“Hope remains. Your Grace has the right to prove your innocence by battle. My queen, your champion stands ready. There is no man in all the Seven Kingdoms who can hope to stand against him. If you will only give the command...”

That was Qyburn talking to cersei in her last chapter in AFFC. Did i miss something? Are we suppose to know who this champion is?

I don't think they "let" Gared escape. They either just didn't know about him, or he was able to get away on horseback.

I agree. The Others left Will alone and just butchered Waymar Royce in the prologue of AGOT. Will met his end when he was down out of his tree, probably making noise crunching in the snow and everything and he attracted the attention of the wight that was Waymar. Gared was away from the two of them, I believe, since he kinda disappears halfway into the prologue.

In AGOT, Eddard when Eddard VI - Chapter 27 pg. 227 (hardback/large paperback) leaves to see Mott on the Street of Steel, it says he and his party traveled through the King's Gate BEFOR he's described as walking through the city to the River/Mud Gate where the Street of Steel begins. This doesn't make sense. He was coming from the Red Keep, so, from the Red Keep, he walked all the way to the OTHER side of the city, went through the King's Gate, back through the Mud Gate then up the Street of Steel?

Can someone clear this up? I've read it a few times and am lost...

Are you sure he was coming from the Red Keep? Might he have been coming from the tourney grounds or something? (Not certain when this event takes place in relation to the Hand's Tourney)

No, he's definitely at the Red Keep. In the same chapter, just before, he's at a small council meeting where Janos Slynt is telling him he needs more men for the City Watch, due to the swelling population in KL due to the tourney. Eddard pledges 20 men of his own guard. Later he heads back to the Tower of the Hand, changes and meets with Jory where he tells him he can decide which men to give to Slynt.

Yeah, I just read the passage. My guess is that George originally had the King's Gate as the gate to the Red Keep, but later changed it for the map in A Clash of Kings. I'd say we should just put this on the list of inconsistencies.

That's what I thought too. Thanks for the confirmation. My second choice was that maybe he was trying throw off anyone who might have been following him, as he notes sending some of his guards out ahead to blend in the crowd and watch for anyone watching Ned as he made his way to the Street of Steel. I think that's over thinking it though....

Who was Shae? Besides being a whore, I mean. Are any information in the books about her?

She has told Tyrion about her father and that he wanted her to be a kitchen wench - or his whore, and that she ran away from him. There seems to be more than one story she told him. ACOK Tyrion 44

While I agree with you that he just escaped, I would say that even if they knew about him, they could just have let him go. I mean, their whole style was mocking, it was more of a bar fight for them, then a super important mission - don't-leave-any-witnesses-style. They just didn't care enough.

Why did The Others let one of the rangers escape in the first book? (the one carrying the message and get his head of in return)

seems to me they did it on purpose. but than, why warn your enemies if u wanna conquer and kill em alltogether?

Gared was not at the spot where Royce challenged the Other and was slain. Royce ordered them him (Gared) to stay with the horses. Will and Royce went to investigate the spot where Will has seen the wildlings. What Gared saw and what inspired him to desertion is not told in the novel.

Is the Targaryen custom of marrying brother to sister exclusive to the Targs in Westeros (with them being among the few survivors of the Doom and thus trying to keep their now-precious blood line as intact as possible) or is it something that was generally common in Old Valyria? Or, more probably I suppose, common among the Valyrian nobility?

Oh and let me squeak a very shy "Hello" to celebrate my very first post in this forum :)

I seem to remember Cersei saying in one of the books that, and I paraphrase, she didn't understand why she and Jaime couldn't just come out and marry like the Targs or the blood of Old Valyria. I'll go looking for the quote to back that up though. That would imply that it was a Valyrian thing, not just a Targ thing.

She has told Tyrion about her father and that he wanted her to be a kitchen wench - or his whore, and that she ran away from him. There seems to be more than one story she told him. ACOK Tyrion 44

Another thought I always have about Shae: did Tyrion ever actually give her any money? Or was the lifestyle that comes with being with Tyrion enough? I mean, considering Tyrion's constant self-reminder that she's a whore, it would be easier to empathise with his state of mind if there was no awkward payment afterwards. But then after she's assigned to the kitchens, surely her life afterward would be much the same regardless of whether she slept with Tyrion or not? She'd live in the same place, generally eat the same etc.

Another thought I always have about Shae: did Tyrion ever actually give her any money? Or was the lifestyle that comes with being with Tyrion enough? I mean, considering Tyrion's constant self-reminder that she's a whore, it would be easier to empathise with his state of mind if there was no awkward payment afterwards. But then after she's assigned to the kitchens, surely her life afterward would be much the same regardless of whether she slept with Tyrion or not? She'd live in the same place, generally eat the same etc.

In the camps he definitely gave her money, afterwards I think he arranged for her to get an allowance (maybe get Bronn or Varys to pay her? this is speculation of course). Plus she got jewels, dresses, a manse, servants, etc, until he decided he wanted her in the Red Keep. The books don't really talk about how much she was being paid but we can assume that it's a lot.

Is the Targaryen custom of marrying brother to sister exclusive to the Targs in Westeros (with them being among the few survivors of the Doom and thus trying to keep their now-precious blood line as intact as possible) or is it something that was generally common in Old Valyria? Or, more probably I suppose, common among the Valyrian nobility?

It was common in Old Valyria, according to Catelyn's thoughts.

In the camps he definitely gave her money, afterwards I think he arranged for her to get an allowance (maybe get Bronn or Varys to pay her? this is speculation of course). Plus she got jewels, dresses, a manse, servants, etc, until he decided he wanted her in the Red Keep. The books don't really talk about how much she was being paid but we can assume that it's a lot.

All the gold in Casterly Rock. That's my guess.

Archived