Thread for Small Questions v. xxii

Angalin

No, I don't think so. Why would they?

I remember the show, when Barristan was dismissed he threw his sword at the foot of the Iron Throne and told them to melt it and put it with the rest. Maybe that's what he is referencing? I don't think that was in the books though

Ok. how do we know that?

Early in the Game of THrones (p 44 in my paperback) the battle of the Trident says Robert and Rhaegar came together on the Trident ford while the armies crashed around them. They were in single combat By the time Ned came on the scene (Robert and Rhaegar's fight I presume), Rhaegar was dead.

This is where I got the idea that Ned was a bit late to the front lines and likely not leading the van. I'd be surprised if anyone but Robert led the van.

At the Battle fo the Bells, Robert was hiding out in Stoney Sept, wounded. He was there for days which JonCon searched for him. Ned and Hoster Tully came to rescue him and that was the Battle of the Bells.

ETA Tully

At the Battle fo the Bells, Robert was hiding out in Stoney Sept, wounded. He was there for days which JonCon, leading some of Aerys' men, searched for him. Ned came to rescue him and that was the Battle of the Bells.

Bella was named for this battle so he had time in town for some action, even though he was wounded, before the battle

Early in the Game of THrones (p 44 in my paperback) the battle of the Trident says Robert and Rhaegar came together on the Trident ford while the armies crashed around them. They were in single combat By the time Ned came on the scene (Robert and Rhaegar's fight I presume), Rhaegar was dead.

This is where I got the idea that Ned was a bit late to the front lines and likely not leading the van. I'd be surprised if anyone but Robert led the van.

At the Battle fo the Bells, Robert was hiding out in Stoney Sept, wounded. He was there for days which JonCon searched for him. Ned came to rescue him and that was the Battle of the Bells.

I'd assumed this because as commanders they would be leading diffrent sections of the army so would be in different places on the battlefield

I'd assumed this because as commanders they would be leading diffrent sections of the army so would be in different places on the battlefield

Could be - but he wouldnt come at the end of the battle if he were leading the van.

I agree...Robert most likely had the van, but we don't know for sure. Ned probably the center. Jon Arryn one of the flanks, I say this because Lyn Corbray was on the flank that pushed back the Dornishmen. And I'm assuming the Lords would keep their bannermen with them. That would leave the Riverlords on another flank (not sure who led them since Hoster Tully was grievously wounded at the Battle of the Bells), then someone else commanding the reserves and rear guard.

But I'm obviously speculating, the only one I have evidence for is Jon Arryn on a flank.

I remember the show, when Barristan was dismissed he threw his sword at the foot of the Iron Throne and told them to melt it and put it with the rest. Maybe that's what he is referencing? I don't think that was in the books though

Without a dragon they arent likely to do it anyway. Since he isnt a vanquished enemy perhaps it was his intent to suggest that Joffrey have it in a position to be shoved up his butt.

Without a dragon they arent likely to do it anyway. Since he isnt a vanquished enemy perhaps it was his intent to suggest that Joffrey have it in a position to be shoved up his butt.

I'll have an educated guess and say that the Iron throne was made of swords only from Aegon the conquerer's battles to get it. They don't just put in swords there, Barristan was emotional.

Was it ever explained why Mormont joined the Night's Watch?

The explanation that is given in the text is that he wanted to make room for his son to rule Bear Island.

From the wiki at westeros.org: As Lord of Bear Island, Jeor marched to war under Lord Eddard Stark's banner during Robert's Rebellion. Within the next six years, he abdicated his seat in favor of his son, Ser Jorah Mormont, and joined the Night's Watch

The explanation that is given in the text is that he wanted to make room for his son to rule Bear Island.

From the wiki at westeros.org: As Lord of Bear Island, Jeor marched to war under Lord Eddard Stark's banner during Robert's Rebellion. Within the next six years, he abdicated his seat in favor of his son, Ser Jorah Mormont, and joined the Night's Watch

Ah, I had forgotten about that - that could inspire additions to the "If ASOIAF Characters Were Sensible," "Dumbest Moves Ever," and "What the Hell Were You Thinking?" threads. I mean, dude.

Thanks!

Archived