[Season 3 Spoilers] Confirmed: Actor that plays Barristan Selmy

houseHB

winteriscoming.net has confirmed that Barristan will appear again in Season 3! Book readers will know what role he will appear again as. Interested how they adapt that part to the screen.

I thought he was really good as Ser Barristan in his limited role in Season 1. Glad he's back. My guess is that some viewers will know, but Dany & company will not.

I think they'll ignore the whole Arstan thing and have him come in with Illyrio's ships and announce himself as Ser Barristan. It won't work nearly as well with the audience knowing its him but not the characters. They could do it as a cliffhanger but that's it.

Ser Jorah will still be jealous of Ser Barristan though, and that arc will play like it does in the books.

The only way I see it playing out is that he will portray himself to Dany as Arstan, but they will make it obvious to the audience that it is Selmy.

No other way is really possible. They can't keep it a secret from the audience, as many will recognize him, even in disguise, and of course there is the cast credits to give it away. Due to this, they will go the other direction and make it obvious to the audience, and keep it secret from Dany.

The only way I see it playing out is that he will portray himself to Dany as Arstan, but they will make it obvious to the audience that it is Selmy.

No other way is really possible. They can't keep it a secret from the audience, as many will recognize him, even in disguise, and of course there is the cast credits to give it away. Due to this, they will go the other direction and make it obvious to the audience, and keep it secret from Dany.

I agree. Kinda ruins a major "what the?" moment though. Arstan=Selmy was not something i expected, although in hindsight it should have been.

I think they'll ignore the whole Arstan thing and have him come in with Illyrio's ships and announce himself as Ser Barristan. It won't work nearly as well with the audience knowing its him but not the characters. They could do it as a cliffhanger but that's it.

Ser Jorah will still be jealous of Ser Barristan though, and that arc will play like it does in the books.

I think you credit the average viewer with too much insight.

The guys at TWOP will likely get it, and the sort who frequent these forums or IMDB etc will generally get it (and be spoiled if they don't) but Joe Bloggs, who watches it for 1 hour a week and can barely remember the names of the principal cast, and still can't tell Robb and Jon apart?

I have my doubts.

I suspect they'll go with the books thing, give him a beard, a staff and a grotty brown cloak, give Dany a fake name; and if the audience get it, then good on them, but it doesn't really matter.

Of course, they may decide to go full-on mysterious about it, have him change his voice, walk stooped, keep his hood up and face always in deep shadow etc; but it seems more effort than it's worth; and there's nothing lost by doing it casually.

Only real problem with that is to keep spoilers out of the press - and most of them understand that a reveal in episode 4 shouldn't be shared ahead of time

I think you credit the average viewer with too much insight.

The guys at TWOP will likely get it, and the sort who frequent these forums or IMDB etc will generally get it (and be spoiled if they don't) but Joe Bloggs, who watches it for 1 hour a week and can barely remember the names of the principal cast, and still can't tell Robb and Jon apart?

I have my doubts.

I suspect they'll go with the books thing, give him a beard, a staff and a grotty brown cloak, give Dany a fake name; and if the audience get it, then good on them, but it doesn't really matter.

Of course, they may decide to go full-on mysterious about it, have him change his voice, walk stooped, keep his hood up and face always in deep shadow etc; but it seems more effort than it's worth; and there's nothing lost by doing it casually.

Only real problem with that is to keep spoilers out of the press - and most of them understand that a reveal in episode 4 shouldn't be shared ahead of time

I am in total agreement with you. My dad just watched season one and I'll ask him about characters and he can't remember any of them until I remind him of everything. He called me after Ned's death and was like "They just killed that Edward guy!" A guy I work with is the same way, he calls the Targaryens the Tarantulas.

So give Barristan a beard, a hooded cloak, and a walking staff. Don't put any armor on him and most average viewers will never know the difference until it is fleshed out for them. There will be a few who figure it out, just like there were in the books. It's not like they need to surprise us.

I can picture Larry Williams now "maaaaan, that motha fucka looks familiar maaaaan."

Archived