[Season 3 Spoilers] Confirmed: Actor that plays Barristan Selmy

houseHB

I am in total agreement with you. My dad just watched season one and I'll ask him about characters and he can't remember any of them until I remind him of everything. He called me after Ned's death and was like "They just killed that Edward guy!" A guy I work with is the same way, he calls the Targaryens the Tarantulas.

So give Barristan a beard, a hooded cloak, and a walking staff. Don't put any armor on him and most average viewers will never know the difference until it is fleshed out for them. There will be a few who figure it out, just like there were in the books. It's not like they need to surprise us.

I can picture Larry Williams now "maaaaan, that motha fucka looks familiar maaaaan."

I guess we'll see. But if they don't do it like the book I don't want the puritans moaning.

I was secretly hoping that season 2 would have had Selmy's escape from KL and his arival, I was a little bummed when they did not have him in season 2

I think the biggest disappointment of ADwD was reading about Selmy's escape and realising that we won't see it on screen thanks to the TV Series already passing that point.

A beard, raggedy clothes, and a hood/cloak will disguise his looks very well (I never would have recognized Ian McKellan as Gandalf from photos alone), but he's got a very, very distinctive voice which should be recognizable to anyone who watched S1 recently. Most TV viewers might not pick it up, but anyone who does a re-watch before S3 begins should figure it out the instant he opens his mouth.

I think they should just scrap the "Arstan" reveal. Most viewers won't remember him from season one anyway, and they won't be able to appreciate the reveal because they don't understand what it signifies.

What?? Why? I think you are not giving people credit, if they don't recognize him at first, they will later - and when Jorah explains who he is and Ser Barristan admits it, then that will be enough to explain the significance. Why wouldn't "most people" understand?

What?? Why? I think you are not giving people credit, if they don't recognize him at first, they will later - and when Jorah explains who he is and Ser Barristan admits it, then that will be enough to explain the significance. Why wouldn't "most people" understand?

The problem for me is that some people would recognise him... and others wouldn't. So half the audience would be like "huh? Arstan? Isn't that Barristan Selmy?" and the other half would be like "oh cool, Arstan wants to help Dany!"

I think calling him "Arstan" would only work if ALL the audience knew who he was. Oh well. Maybe they'll include him being sacked by Joffrey in the recap.

The problem for me is that some people would recognise him... and others wouldn't. So half the audience would be like "huh? Arstan? Isn't that Barristan Selmy?" and the other half would be like "oh cool, Arstan wants to help Dany!"

I think calling him "Arstan" would only work if ALL the audience knew who he was. Oh well. Maybe they'll include him being sacked by Joffrey in the recap.

so let the halves have their fun!!!! after all we poor sods are well and truly spoiled.

Yay! To compound disappointment to disappointment, the season finale didn't even bother with Arstan's appearance :angry2:. Ian McElhinney was amazing in the role and I look forward to his return.

The amount of characters in this series is daunting, most can barely remember the names of whomever appears during an episode. I think skipping the reveal would be a mistake. It says a lot about Barristan that he wanted to judge Daenerys as worthy of serving.

I....agree with you?

But yeah, I'm sure a lot of people will recognise him especially if they have the Westeros cast name drop him every now and then to jogg the auidence's memory.

I....agree with you?

But yeah, I'm sure a lot of people will recognise him especially if they have the Westeros cast name drop him every now and then to jogg the auidence's memory.

The sun must have risen in the west! Haha

I don't think it matters if some people recognize him and some don't, there's nothing wrong with the show operating on two levels - after all it already does because all of us who have read the books watch the show knowing for the most part how everything will play out.

The important thing is that Dany doesn't know, and in fact only Jorah knows - and even he isn't totally certain at first. The "reveal" is important in how it relates to Dany, not necessarily whether or not the audience is shocked. It's dramatic irony for those who recognize him, and a surprise for those who don't.

My prediction is that they will have certain shots of Jorah looking suspicious and Arstan watching Dany, so that the audience will know something is going on there - either they will recognize him and say "hey that's Ser Barristan from season one! Obviously he doesn't want Dany to know who he is, I wonder why? Is he there to kill her or something?" or they won't recognize him and say "that guy seems cool but kind of shady, what's his deal??"

And those of us who've read the books will say "awesome, it's Ser Barristan as Arstan! I can't wait for the scene where his secret comes out!" or "Ugh, they didn't try hard enough to conceal his identity! D+D obviously don't care about the source material!!"

• 5 months later...

I agree. Kinda ruins a major "what the?" moment though. Arstan=Selmy was not something i expected, although in hindsight it should have been.

I have to disagree. I suspected he was going to Dany right when he left the Red Keep, and I was certain when Renly asked Catelyn about him. I don't think the story will lose anything by the way a visual medium will force the writers to play the situation.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived