What Varys Doesn't Say in the Epilogue...

Ser Illin'

This is actually a very interesting hypothesis. Young Griff is a commoner. Varys and Illyrio were commoners who feel a properly educated commoner could rule better than a noble. Right?

The problem is that Varys and Illyrio are sending Young Griff to Dany to establish a (fake) legitimacy. But once he reaches Dany, he will have to pass the Dragon Test. Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion will have to accept him before Dany accepts him, and he needs dragon blood to accomplish that. He can't be a commoner. (Or maybe not?)

If Young Griff is a commoner, Varys anfd Illyrio would probably want to keep him away from Dany and the dragons.

But I fully agree that Varys and Illyrio (especially Varys) would prefer a well educated and well-intentioned commoner over a Targ, if they could get away with it.

Theres no way Varys or Illyrio could have known about the Dragon test (or prerequisite).

This is actually a very interesting hypothesis. Young Griff is a commoner. Varys and Illyrio were commoners who feel a properly educated commoner could rule better than a noble. Right?

The problem is that Varys and Illyrio are sending Young Griff to Dany to establish a (fake) legitimacy. But once he reaches Dany, he will have to pass the Dragon Test. Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion will have to accept him before Dany accepts him, and he needs dragon blood to accomplish that. He can't be a commoner. (Or maybe not?)

If Young Griff is a commoner, Varys anfd Illyrio would probably want to keep him away from Dany and the dragons.

But I fully agree that Varys and Illyrio (especially Varys) would prefer a well educated and well-intentioned commoner over a Targ, if they could get away with it.

If Illyrio's wife had Vallyrian blood as I assumed, her son would have the dragon-controlling skills. He doesn't need to be a Targaryen or Blackfire descendant.

This is the first statement that makes no sense at all when you factor in his revelation about Aegon's lineage.

If Tyrion wants to stay on the boat all he has to do is say nothing about Aegon no matter what he suspects. His hosts are hiding Aegons lineage from him for a reason. It is absurd to claim that he has a motive which is to stay on the boat so he reveals to his hosts that he has figured out the very information that they were trying to hide from him. That is the first twistedly illogical thing you say.

Actually, by revealing that he has seen through Griff's ruse, Tyrion demonstrates that he is clever and worth keeping around. Griff never imagined anyone would have detected the ruse so easily; Tyrion has shown Griff just how thin his story is to anyone who knew of JonCon. What will get Tyrion thrown off the boat is saying, "Griff, I know you think you are hiding Aegon VI, but he's not. Not only have you failed to fool me, but you've been fooled by Varys."

Tyrion does not want to go to Mereen. Not after he discovers Aegons true lineage and the resources he has behind him. That is exactly why he convinces the prince to head back to westeros.

Tyrion desperately wants to go to Meereen and join with Dany. He just wants JonCon and the possibly fake Aegon out of the way. If they get to Meereen and Dany accepts YG as real, JonCon will be her Hand, and that's a job Tyrion wants to win for himself. When Tyrion finds out they actually headed west (aDwD p364) he thinks, "...Could the pretty princeling have swollowed the bait?" Tyrion was getting his competition out of the way.

If Tyrion does not think young Griff is not Aegon then why go out of his way to reveal to every one on the boat that he does in fact think it is Aegon, why totally demolish their ruse and name the boy Aegon son of Targaryen? Just so that he can hide the fact that he really doesnt believe the boy is AEgon's son? (That is lunacy of the highest order. I am sorry but I have no other way of putting it)

Tyrion reveals that he's seen through the ruse to prove to Griff he's more intelligent then him (which Tyrion is) and therefore valuable. He also gains their trust by becoming someone who's "in" on the secret instead of an outsider they need to lie to. And yet he knows that Varys is behind the whole plan, and is the only link back to the true Aegon. And Tyrion has no reason to trust Varys. It's not illogical. It's not lunacy. It's called being clever. It's called being subtle. It's called playing the Game of Thrones.

By oversimplifying, I believe you are missing some of the best parts of the books.

Tyrion has at minimum 30 instances of "internal dialogue" or thoughts as you put it where he refers boy Aegon as the prince he indeed believes him to be.

He actually keeps interchanging Aegon, prince, Young Griff. Perhaps Tyrion is not really sure. But my original point (Just because Tyrion announces he's seen through the ruse doesn't mean he really believes YG is Aegon) does make sense. Even if Griff and YG trust Varys, why would Tyrion? Why do you?

This is utter rubbish. Again on the same bizarre tangent you started out on. If Tyrion does not think young Griff is not Aegon then why go out of his way to reveal to every one on the boat that he does in fact think it is Aegon, why totally demolish their ruse and name the boy Aegon son of Targaryen?

To better manipulate them. He wants to re-route Aegon so that he heads to Westeros instead of Meereen - how can he do that while still pretending that he thinks Aegon is just Young Griff the sellsword? Tyrion's arguments pro-going to Westeros were all for Aegon, not the Griffs.

The one quote "He is a Targaryen afterall" (or something close to that) is one which is completely misunderstood by you and others. The statement is actually a very common reaffirmation of a child's parentage very commonly used in literature. It is indeed silly if not comical to allege that its a statement that casts doubt on a person's birth right. It is used in various ways the most common of which is "He is his father's son" "She is her father's daughter". "He is a Targaryen afterall" is just another way of saying "he is his father's son"

It is really comical to see how many people misunderstood such a commonly used phrase. (and yet another reason why I suggest that some should avoid thinking too hard.

You left out the word "maybe". Maybe he is a Targaryen after all. I for one think that one word gives his whole thought a very sarcastic tint. You know what sarcasm means, right? It's when you say the opposite of what you think.

Actually, by revealing that he has seen through Griff's ruse, Tyrion demonstrates that he is clever and worth keeping around. Griff never imagined anyone would have detected the ruse so easily; Tyrion has shown Griff just how thin his story is to anyone who knew of JonCon. What will get Tyrion thrown off the boat is saying, "Griff, I know you think you are hiding Aegon VI, but he's not. Not only have you failed to fool me, but you've been fooled by Varys."

Again you continue with the this twisted backwards logic and that getting more and more laughable by the post.

First of all Tyrion's ticket to ride is not to prove to Griff that he is clever. He does not need to prove a thing to him to stay on the boat. Griff has been commanded to have the dwarf along for the ride and there is little he can do about that even with his threats. Dont go making up stories just so as to advance your wild theories, we have the text and that is enough to go by without you adding your salt and spice.

What will get Tyrion thrown off the boat is saying, "Griff, I know you think you are hiding Aegon VI, but he's not. Not only have you failed to fool me, but you've been fooled by Varys

Another statement that is so obviously illogical it beggars belief. Let me get this straight. Tryion himself admits to having seen Rhaegar once or twice when he was a child, John connington actually grew up with Prince Rhaegar and as best friends with him. But in your yet again twisted logic, Tryion is better equipped to identify a fraudalent son of Rhaegar than Jon Connington.

This is the nonsense you want people to believe? BTW and not because you have any evidence, you just want every one to ignore the FACTS of the text and go with your wild speculation that you support with not a single fact but your poor understanding of the book. Right?

T

yrion desperately wants to go to Meereen and join with Dany. He just wants JonCon and the possibly fake Aegon out of the way. If they get to Meereen and Dany accepts YG as real, JonCon will be her Hand, and that's a job Tyrion wants to win for himself.

Like pinnochio when you start lying I guess the next lie and the one after that come out easier and easier. Everything you say above is all figments of your imagination. No where in the book does it say Connington wants to be Dany's hand, this is more nonsense you made up just so as advance your wild theories. (Again I will implore you to stop thinking too hard and perhaps focus on what is actually written in the book instead of making up your own stuff. No one really knows what Tryion intends to do when he meets Dany. Matter of fact he is somewhat afraid that she may very well feed him to her dragons. (a fear he has because he had a dream of the sort) I know you desperately want your theory to be true, but DONT MAKE UP STUFF AND YOUR IMAGINED STORYLINES BECAUSE IT MAKES YOUR TALES THAT MORE UNBELIEVABLE.

When Tyrion finds out they actually headed west (aDwD p364) he thinks, "...Could the pretty princeling have swollowed the bait?" Tyrion was getting his competition out of the way.

LMAO... Really? Remember way back when I politely suggested that you go back and read the Tyrion chapters alone so that you would have a better understanding of what you are talking about? Apparently you declined my advice and here you are yet again half baked nonsense.

Tyrion DID NOT WANT TO GO TO MEREEN! That is exactly why he "baited" Aegon into going back to westeros. He believes in the young prince so much so that he believes they can succeed without Dany. It was his plan all along. He did not get rid of the competition, his plan went awry when he is kidnapped. That was not part of his calculation. But then again you couldnt know that if you didnt read the book. I will quote Tyrion's own thoughts.

By now Griff and Duck and Haldon Half-maester should be in Westeros with their young prince. I should be with them … but no, I had to have a whore. Kinslaying was not enough, I needed cunt and wine to seal my ruin, and here I am on the wrong side of the world,

Those sound like the words of some one who wanted so badly to be back in Westeros dont they? He is lamenting of his love for whores and wine that threw him off the carefully laid course he had set for himself (which involved convincing Aegon to head back to Westeros. That seems to be a crystal clear indication of Tyrion's intentions and exactly why his plans went awry and he ended in Mereen which he refers to as the "Wrong side of the world"

I will advise you once again. Take your time, and go back and read the book so that you avoid making ridiculous claims that can be easily exposed with a simple verification of what is actually written in the book. (I am guessing you are going to employ your typical gimmickry and weave yet another yarn as to why we should not believe GRRM when he writes that of Tyrion. Please tell us more of how we should believe your stories and discard what is written in black and white by the owner of the story himself)

He actually keeps interchanging Aegon, prince, Young Griff. Perhaps Tyrion is not really sure. But my original point (Just because Tyrion announces he's seen through the ruse doesn't mean he really believes YG is Aegon) does make sense. Even if Griff and YG trust Varys, why would Tyrion? Why do you?

This is what happens when you scheme through a book. You only get a terrible understanding of the larger concepts at hand. You falsely claim that Tyrion is being duplicitous when he claims young Griff to be Aegon. This is a rather silly argument especially being that in every single instance that a POV character has been deceptive, GRRM has been crystal clear about the deception. Clearly outlining it in the consequent character's internal dialogue. But in this one case you want us to believe that Tyrion is being outwardly deceptive and inwardly deceptive as well.

One thing is obvious, this book is well over and above your grasp. It will probably end with you in complete befuddlement and confusion about the end. This is best showcased in this comment of yours.

He actually keeps interchanging Aegon, prince, Young Griff.He actually keeps interchanging Aegon, prince, Young Griff. Perhaps Tyrion is not really sure
Any one who has actually read the book will tell you that this is total rubbish! All you have to do is refer to any one of Tyrions consequent chapters to see that Tryion still refers to the man we all know beyond a shadow of a doubt to be Jon Connington as Griff. Are we to conclude from this that Tryion also is still in doubt about John connington? Does Tyrion still think Connington is just some sellsword? This is exactly why I say your posts are absurd to the extreme.

Read the freaking book you will find several instances where Connington himself refers to Aegon as "Young Griff" are we not to conclude that even Connington now does not believe that Aegon is Rhaegar's son?

I will say again, the book is interesting enough, the mysteries intriguing enough, one does not need of over think to make the book more fun by adding their own fantasies.

To better manipulate them. He wants to re-route Aegon so that he heads to Westeros instead of Meereen - how can he do that while still pretending that he thinks Aegon is just Young Griff the sellsword? Tyrion's arguments pro-going to Westeros were all for Aegon, not the Griffs.

You left out the word "maybe". Maybe he is a Targaryen after all. I for one think that one word gives his whole thought a very sarcastic tint. You know what sarcasm means, right? It's when you say the opposite of what you think.

Lol.. I am getting quite a few laughs from these rather poorly thought out theories. So tell me this sir. Tyrion wants to back to Westeros with a boy he knows to be a "fake Aegon" . Why would he want to do this? If the boy is fake Aegon then he is useless to Tyrion right? what happens when the westerosi lords find out he is fake? If Tyrion has figured it out surely there must be others who can figure it out too as well right?

If you are going to be condescending then you better know what the hell you are talking about. Sarcasm is when you say the opposite of what you think? That is 8th grade level description of sarcasm.

I prefer the one that employs irony, kinda like the fact that Varys and his cabal have spent all these years to educate and rear what they believe to be the optimum future king only to end with up the atypical Targaryen temperamental offspring. But then again what do i know uh?

He wants YG to land in Westeros because he thinks its premature. Remember, YG doesnt have an Army. He has a sell sword company. As determined and skilled as they may be; they're still fighting in a foriegn, are led by a teenager, has no alliances, and no proof he's actually Aegon.

Warfare is a dangerous thing. More likely than not he'll meet a bloody end...which is why Tryion lured him into a premature campaign.

Any soldier knows mass your forces before an attack.

Lol.. I am getting quite a few laughs from these rather poorly thought out theories. So tell me this sir. Tyrion wants to back to Westeros with a boy he knows to be a "fake Aegon" . Why would he want to do this? If the boy is fake Aegon then he is useless to Tyrion right? what happens when the westerosi lords find out he is fake? If Tyrion has figured it out surely there must be others who can figure it out too as well right?

Tyrion's goal at that point is to cause more problems for Cersei. This is stated in the text. Why would fake Aegon VI be useless for that? Genuine or not, there will be chaos when he lands, and many opportunistic lords who dislike the current rule will side with him whether they believe him to be the real deal or not.

If you are going to be condescending then you better know what the hell you are talking about. Sarcasm is when you say the opposite of what you think? That is 8th grade level description of sarcasm.

I prefer the one that employs irony, kinda like the fact that Varys and his cabal have spent all these years to educate and rear what they believe to be the optimum future king only to end with up the atypical Targaryen temperamental offspring. But then again what do i know uh?

So you agree that Tyrion is being sarcastic?

ETA after checking basic definitions just in case: The definition I gave is the definition of ironic sarcasm. Now I'm really starting to think you're just trolling.

He wants YG to land in Westeros because he thinks its premature. Remember, YG doesnt have an Army. He has a sell sword company. As determined and skilled as they may be; they're still fighting in a foriegn, are led by a teenager, has no alliances, and no proof he's actually Aegon.

Warfare is a dangerous thing. More likely than not he'll meet a bloody end...which is why Tryion lured him into a premature campaign.

Any soldier knows mass your forces before an attack.

I agree that for all Tyrion knows, Aegon's campaign will most likely end in disaster. But before it does, it will cause Cersei to have some sleepless nights.

I'm not sure whether Tyrion intended to go with Aegon or to head to Meereen on his own. I think it's possible to make a case either way.

I agree that for all Tyrion knows, Aegon's campaign will most likely end in disaster. But before it does, it will cause Cersei to have some sleepless nights.I'm not sure whether Tyrion intended to go with Aegon or to head to Meereen on his own. I think it's possible to make a case either way.
You are not sure because you either didnt read the book or didnt understand it that well. Tyrion fully intended to be with Aegon when he landed on westeros as clearly shown by the quoted text I have already posted above. (but you have already proven to postulate your opinions without bothering to read the book so it is not surprising that you missed that as well.)If one reads the text and clearly sees that Tyrion fully intended to land on westeros with Aegon, it then the absurdity of your assumption that he thought the landing would be disastrous becomes that more clear. Tyrion sure as hell wouldnt want to be caught in any disastrous adventure on westeros now would he.Further more it is really silly to make claims that the book clearly contradicts. When Aegon lands and sends out his ravens, not a single lord goes "flocking" to him as you claim. NOT ONE. They set out to attack StormEnd with nothing but the troops they brought. No one is banging down the doors of the Griffins roost to join him.But then again why would I be surprised. making up stuff seems to be the order of the day around here.
Tyrion's goal at that point is to cause more problems for Cersei. This is stated in the text.
Making up stuff again are we? Since its in the text then it should be easy for you to quote the text. Being as I have been accusing you of making up stuff, it would be great if you proved me wrong by posting anything resembling your claim. (please be sure to make sure your quote is "at that point" as in, when Tyrion discovers who Young Griff is and that he has an army at his disposal.)
So you agree that Tyrion is being sarcastic?ETA after checking basic definitions just in case: The definition I gave is the definition of ironic sarcasm. Now I'm really starting to think you're just trolling.
Dont worry, I am not shocked that you about something your clearly dont understand. But credit to you at least you went back and checked that and corrected yourself. Thats more than I can say for most. Now if we can you off google dictionary and on to the actual text of the book, these ridiculous theories might just wane.Ps..Being that you are so good at re-checking your erroneous statements, be a darling and go back and read what I wrote about the sarcasm Tyrion is employing and what he is talking about. mmkay..

I'm not sure Tyrion's actual plan is 100% known, even to Tyrion. At the start of ADWD he was despondent and lost, a kinslayer and falsely accused kingslayer. He was foresaken, hunted and had zero chance of getting credit for his deeds or claiming Castlery Rock as his own. After he sobers up he is ostensbily placed in league with Jon Connington and "Aegon Targaryn" who may or may not be a fake, because "Aegon" was seeking Dany and Tryion could be an advisor as to the inner dealings of Westeros, in addition to having read quite a bit about dragons (to the point of obsession). From his own motiviations, Tyrion sees a chance to return to Westeros and seek vengance against his sister, his brother and anyone else he percieves to have wronged him and take what is his by rights. In this regard, he convinces Aegon to conquer Westeros and then seek Dany's approval.

This is, simply stated, the "Tyrion plot" of ADWD. What is Tyrion's actual plan? We don't know. He never shares is specifically with the reader. He clearly intended to hook on with Aegon and return to Westeros until he has the misfortune of running into Jorah Mormont. Then, he hatches a plan to enlist the aid of sellswords to help Dany and eventually, in some way, get back to Westeros. How? We don't know except that when Tyrion signs up with the Second Sons he agrees to pay them upon him coming into his rightful inheritence at Castlery Rock - which he plans to either take or die in the attempt.

To solve a mystery is to be right about the solution to said mystery, so what you just said is a tautology.

Besides, your whole argument--as wholly wrong-headed as it may be--is irrelevant to the issue. Tyrion's thoughts reveal that he is by no means sure that Aegon is a true Targaryen, so by your logic, he has not solved this plot.

I always meant to respond to this comment.

You misunderstood my statement because it is made assuming that whoever reads it will be full cognizant of the events in the book. That is to say, there are several characters who assume that they have solved certain mysteries but they turned out to be wrong. (like how Cersei concludes that it was Tyrion who poisoned Joffrey or how Catelyn assumed Tryion was the one who tried to murder Bran.) There is the "general truth" then the truth according to the POV character in question. Tyrion's have been sympatico

I'm not sure Tyrion's actual plan is 100% known, even to Tyrion. At the start of ADWD he was despondent and lost, a kinslayer and falsely accused kingslayer. He was foresaken, hunted and had zero chance of getting credit for his deeds or claiming Castlery Rock as his own. After he sobers up he is ostensbily placed in league with Jon Connington and "Aegon Targaryn" who may or may not be a fake, because "Aegon" was seeking Dany and Tryion could be an advisor as to the inner dealings of Westeros, in addition to having read quite a bit about dragons (to the point of obsession). From his own motiviations, Tyrion sees a chance to return to Westeros and seek vengance against his sister, his brother and anyone else he percieves to have wronged him and take what is his by rights. In this regard, he convinces Aegon to conquer Westeros and then seek Dany's approval.

This is, simply stated, the "Tyrion plot" of ADWD. What is Tyrion's actual plan? We don't know. He never shares is specifically with the reader. He clearly intended to hook on with Aegon and return to Westeros until he has the misfortune of running into Jorah Mormont. Then, he hatches a plan to enlist the aid of sellswords to help Dany and eventually, in some way, get back to Westeros. How? We don't know except that when Tyrion signs up with the Second Sons he agrees to pay them upon him coming into his rightful inheritence at Castlery Rock - which he plans to either take or die in the attempt.

I have to say bravo to you for that sober post. I wish we had more posters like you.

You are not sure because you either didnt read the book or didnt understand it that well. Tyrion fully intended to be with Aegon when he landed on westeros as clearly shown by the quoted text I have already posted above. (but you have already proven to postulate your opinions without bothering to read the book so it is not surprising that you missed that as well.)If one reads the text and clearly sees that Tyrion fully intended to land on westeros with Aegon, it then the absurdity of your assumption that he thought the landing would be disastrous becomes that more clear. Tyrion sure as hell wouldnt want to be caught in any disastrous adventure on westeros now would he.Further more it is really silly to make claims that the book clearly contradicts. When Aegon lands and sends out his ravens, not a single lord goes "flocking" to him as you claim. NOT ONE. They set out to attack StormEnd with nothing but the troops they brought. No one is banging down the doors of the Griffins roost to join him.But then again why would I be surprised. making up stuff seems to be the order of the day around here.Making up stuff again are we? Since its in the text then it should be easy for you to quote the text. Being as I have been accusing you of making up stuff, it would be great if you proved me wrong by posting anything resembling your claim. (please be sure to make sure your quote is "at that point" as in, when Tyrion discovers who Young Griff is and that he has an army at his disposal.)Dont worry, I am not shocked that you about something your clearly dont understand. But credit to you at least you went back and checked that and corrected yourself. Thats more than I can say for most. Now if we can you off google dictionary and on to the actual text of the book, these ridiculous theories might just wane.Ps..Being that you are so good at re-checking your erroneous statements, be a darling and go back and read what I wrote about the sarcasm Tyrion is employing and what he is talking about. mmkay..

Easy bro. It's just a book.

Tyrion fully intended to be with Aegon when he landed on westeros as clearly shown by the quoted text I have already posted above.

He certainly regrets not being in Westeros with Aegon later when he's a prisoner in Meereen. Sensible sentiment. Whether it's regret that arises from his current situation or proof of what his plan was all along is open to interpretation, in my opinion. The case could be made either way.

If one reads the text and clearly sees that Tyrion fully intended to land on westeros with Aegon, it then the absurdity of your assumption that he thought the landing would be disastrous becomes that more clear. Tyrion sure as hell wouldnt want to be caught in any disastrous adventure on westeros now would he.

First, I didn't say he had reason to expect the landing to be disastrous, but that for all that Tyrion knows, Aegon's campaign might well end in disaster eventually. Please don't twist my words. And yes, I do find it hard to believe he would have wanted to be in the middle of such risky events, and that's exactly what makes me suspect the possibility that he intented to leave Aegon and head to Dany on his own. We may never know.

Further more it is really silly to make claims that the book clearly contradicts. When Aegon lands and sends out his ravens, not a single lord goes "flocking" to him as you claim. NOT ONE.

Who are you quoting? I did not use the term "flocking". Anyway, I wouldn't make any claims about this until we've read the next book. At the end of ADWD word of Aegon was only starting to spread, we don't really know how the realm will react to him yet.

But then again why would I be surprised. making up stuff seems to be the order of the day around here.Making up stuff again are we? Since its in the text then it should be easy for you to quote the text. Being as I have been accusing you of making up stuff, it would be great if you proved me wrong by posting anything resembling your claim.

ADWD, Tyrion I:

Tyrion would sooner have gone to Dorne. Myrcella is older than Tommen, by Dornish law the Iron Throne is hers. I will help her claim her rights, as Prince Oberyn suggested.

And a little later:

Dorne, yes, Dorne for me.

Then:

Tyrion pictured how his sister's head might look up there, with tar in her golden hair and flies buzzing in and out of her mouth. Yes, and Jaime must have the spike beside her, he decided, ...

And:

I could make rather a lot of mischief in Dorne with Myrcella. I could set my niece and nephew at war, wouldn't that be droll?

Yet I am still my father's son, and Jaime and Cersei are mine to kill.

At this point the other option he still entertains at times is going to the Wall, but his hatred of his family is in his thoughts a lot more. The ploy to queen Myrcella is clearly aimed against Cersei:

He is right on both counts. To queen her is to kill her. And I knew that. "Futile gestures are all that remain to me. This one would make my sister weep bitter tears, at least."

During the conversation with Illyrio Tyrion also states that he wants the Casterly Rock (that's why his siblings have to die first, too), and Illyrio tells him that the way to get it is with the help of the dragon.

In Tyrion II Tyrion thinks he's heading to Dany. He's wants to know all about her and is eager to see the dragons. He thinks that the only sound as sweet as the clink of gold is "[a] sister's screams". There's nothing in this chapter to indicate he's had a change of heart regarding his plan to topple his house (=Cersei) from power and get the Rock, nor in the next chapter, where he brags about killing his relatives:

I mean to add my brother and sister to the list before I'm done, if it please your queen.

"There is blood between Targaryen and Lannister. Why would you support the cause of Queen Daenerys?"

"For gold and glory," the dwarf said cheerfully. "Oh, and hate. If you had ever met my sister, you would understand."

By the end of Tyrion IV he's already realized what the deal is with Aegon, i.e. they intend to make him king. In Tyrion V he reveals his knowledge to the rest of the crew. Still no sign that he's changed his plans. Then in Tyrion VI he plants the idea about going to Westeros instead of Meereen in Aegon's head. Since there's been no sign that his plan has changed, it's still safe to assume that his goal is to topple his family from power, which is the same as toppling Cersei, since she's the Regent. He also wants to kill both Cersei and Jaime, and take the Rock for himself. The Targaryens are his tool. However, he also knows that Aegon's army is small and consists of exiles, which isn't going to go over very well in Westeros, since many of the current lords are in their seats exactly because these men were exiled in the first place. Aegon has no experience of war and as Tyrion himself notes, he's short-sighted. As far as he knows, they have no allies in Westeros, other than Varys, while Lannisters have the Tyrells on their side and most of the other major houses have taken such a severe beating that they're in no state to start another war. On the other hand, the Golden Company is legendary, the Martells would probably support Elia's son and there must be some minor houses who'd be willing to throw their lot in with a lad like Aegon. Put this all together, and the logical conclusion is that Aegon, while ultimately doomed, could certainly cause enough chaos to pave way for Dany.

And in Tyrion VII Tyrion's thought when he hears that Aegon is heading to Westeros is:

Could the pretty princeling have swallowed the bait?

You don't need a bait unless you're setting a trap of some kind.

You don't have to agree, but my interpretation is that Tyrion is motivated by vengeance against his remaining family but especially Cersei and the need to take the Rock, and he uses Aegon, of whose claim to legitimacy he's sceptical and ultimately doesn't care very much, as a tool towards this goal.

(please be sure to make sure your quote is "at that point" as in, when Tyrion discovers who Young Griff is and that he has an army at his disposal.)

"At that point" as in "in the first half of ADWD, before he is taken prisoner and his main goal becomes, at least temporarily, to free himself".

Dont worry, I am not shocked that you about something your clearly dont understand. But credit to you at least you went back and checked that and corrected yourself. Thats more than I can say for most. Now if we can you off google dictionary and on to the actual text of the book, these ridiculous theories might just wane.Ps..Being that you are so good at re-checking your erroneous statements, be a darling and go back and read what I wrote about the sarcasm Tyrion is employing and what he is talking about. mmkay..

You misunderstood me. My comment was not a correction, but a clarification. My explanation of sarcasm was not erroneous, but it did lack its other half. Sarcasm is a cutting remark or a jibe that can be expressed either in ironic manner or without irony. The definition I originally gave described only sarcasm that is delivered ironically, which is the kind you stated you prefer. I neglected to mention that there is also non-ironic sarcasm.

Okay, I went back and I suppose you mean this explanation:

If Varys and Illyrio have tried to raise a king who is non-temperamental and docile only to have their methods produce a headstrong and fiery king instead, then their situation is indeed ironic. So I take it you think Tyrion's thoughts at that moment are with "the cheesemonger" and the "cockless wonder" (his terms, not mine) as he ponders on the ironies of life? I think that's far-fetched and unnecessarily complicated, when the easier explanation is that he is wondering whether Aegon is the real deal or not, and his thought is a typically sarcastic observation that Aegon's temper at least fits the Targaryen mold.

Of course, all this stuff about Tyrion is a rather trivial tangent to the original topic of this thread, which was about Varys' choice of words in the epilogue and how that in no way proves the Aegon matter this way or that. Oh, well.

Oh, and:

You are not sure because you either didnt read the book or didnt understand it that well.

If anyone here has demonstrated that they have problems with their reading comprehension skills, it's you, pumpkin.

Wow. You know what? I never thought about it that way... but it truly makes sense... even if the plot backfires it makes sense. While I was reading I came across the line you quote, that of "swallowed the bait" and went all "WTF?" but it kinda makes sense if you add the part when they play cyvasse... didn't he do the same thing there? Yes, it totally makes sense... although whether it works as he wishes it will or not is entirely another matter.

I don't think Aegon's a fake. If any Targ supporters knew that baby Aegon wasn't really killed, their first instinct would be to get him out of Westeros completely, like as we know Jon Connington did and raised him as his own. Sure, there's other Aegons throughout Westeros, but why would any Targ have remained in the Seven Kingdoms after the war?

I don't think Aegon's a fake. If any Targ supporters knew that baby Aegon wasn't really killed, their first instinct would be to get him out of Westeros completely, like as we know Jon Connington did and raised him as his own. Sure, there's other Aegons throughout Westeros, but why would any Targ have remained in the Seven Kingdoms after the war?

Other Aegons? Explain.

And in Tyrion VII Tyrion's thought when he hears that Aegon is heading to Westeros is:

Could the pretty princeling have swallowed the bait?

You don't need a bait unless you're setting a trap of some kind.

You don't have to agree, but my interpretation is that Tyrion is motivated by vengeance against his remaining family but especially Cersei and the need to take the Rock, and he uses Aegon, of whose claim to legitimacy he's sceptical and ultimately doesn't care very much, as a tool towards this goal.

Bait implies a trap. Aegon has attacked prematurly without massing forces, conducting a recon, building alliances, or really conducting any planning. In short a hasty attack that caught westeros completely by surprise. Despite short term gains, he's got a lot of fighting ahead of him. He has proven to be a bit impulsive.

He'll also have to answer the who the hell are you question. Remember, its a fact in Westeros that Aegon had his head bashed against a wall. He's going to have to prove it. Ultimatly he has no proof.

Archived