The books coming out in 2013

Lord of Rhinos

Not much I'm really looking forward to, but I was just thinking it's probably going to take a good couple of years getting through all the books I have piling up, that I meant to read. I have books from 5 years ago that I'm still saying "ah, I''ll read you next, I promise!"

From the Orion/Gollancz catalogue posted by Jussi -

Son of the Morning by Mark Alder (a pseudonym for M.D. Lachlan, author of the acclaimed Wolfsangel series)

Is that so? Well, I'd thought the Hundred Years War doesn't need magic and devils to be fun and didn't put that one on my TBR list, but since I liked Lachlan's Wolfsangel books, I may give it a try.

Son of the Morning by Mark Alder (a pseudonym for M.D. Lachlan, author of the acclaimed Wolfsangel series)]

I hadn't noticed this until now, but Mark Alder is a pseudonym for MD Lachlan, which is itself a pseudonym for another author? Geez, that's a little ridiculous.

I hadn't noticed this until now, but Mark Alder is a pseudonym for MD Lachlan, which is itself a pseudonym for another author? Geez, that's a little ridiculous.

M.L.N. Hanover and James S.A. Corey agree :P

Or did you take that to mean that Alder is actually a pseudonym for the Lachlan pseudonym? They're both just pseudonyms for Mark Barrowcliffe. I don't even understand the reasoning for the second pseudonym, because the new work seems quite similar in genre and setting to his Lachlan work....

Blurb for Dangerous Women:

A stellar collection of new work from some of the bestselling authors of our day – including a new George R. R. Martin story from the world of A Game of Thrones

All new and original to this volume, the 21 stories in Dangerous Women include work by twelve New York Times bestsellers, and seven stories set in the authors’ bestselling continuities—including a new “Outlander” story by Diana Gabaldon, a tale of Harry Dresden’s world by Jim Butcher, a story from Lev Grossman set in the world of The Magicians, and a 35,000-word novella by George R. R. Martin about the Dance of the Dragons, the vast civil war that tore Westeros apart nearly two centuries before the events of A Game of Thrones.

Also included are original stories of dangerous women--heroines and villains alike--by Brandon Sanderson, Joe Abercrombie, Sherilynn Kenyon, Lawrence Block, Carrie Vaughn, S. M. Stirling, Sharon Kay Penman, and many others.

Writes Gardner Dozois in his Introduction, “Here you’ll find no hapless victims who stand by whimpering in dread while the male hero fights the monster or clashes swords with the villain, and if you want to tie these women to the railroad tracks, you’ll find you have a real fight on your hands. Instead, you will find sword-wielding women warriors, intrepid women fighter pilots and far-ranging spacewomen, deadly female serial killers, formidable female superheroes, sly and seductive femmes fatale, female wizards, hard-living Bad Girls, female bandits and rebels, embattled survivors in Post-Apocalyptic futures, female Private Investigators, stern female hanging judges, haughty queens who rule nations and whose jealousies and ambitions send thousands to grisly deaths, daring dragonriders, and many more.”

http://edelweiss.abo...&sku=076533206X

M.L.N. Hanover and James S.A. Corey agree :P

Or did you take that to mean that Alder is actually a pseudonym for the Lachlan pseudonym? They're both just pseudonyms for Mark Barrowcliffe. I don't even understand the reasoning for the second pseudonym, because the new work seems quite similar in genre and setting to his Lachlan work....

The latter. And yeah, I don't see why he'd need to another pen name for a similar work. I'll admit it does sound interesting, but I'm also leery as I couldn't get into Fenrir or Lord of Slaughter.

New pseudonyms are often a question of previous work not having sold well enough. The publisher thinks the author can succeed, but would prefer to avoid the baggage (including diminished bookseller orders, which are determined by an author's previous sales) of the earlier titles. Or it could just be something the author wants for whatever quirky reason.

New epic fantasy from Angry Robot -

Seven Forges by James A Moore (October 2013)

The Seven Forges of the title are a range of impassable mountains, far to the north of the settled lands of Fellein. From time to time explorers venture up beyond the Blasted Lands in search of a way over them and the promise of legendary riches, but without success. Now Captain Merros Dulver has found a path, and encountered, at last, the half-forgotten people who dwell there. And it would appear they were expecting him.

http://angryrobotbooks.com/2013/04/announcing-angry-robots-latest-signing-james-a-moore/

Interesting that they are relaunching the Fantasy Masterworks series with new releases.

I already have Tim Powers' Last Call, else I would have bought that edition. All of those new ones have great covers.

I am certainly getting Avram Davidson' Phoenix and the Mirror, and John James' Votan. Cool that they are picking this up again.

And in general, many big releases shown there for the Fall.

Mark Alder's Son of the Morning has moved to October I see.

Miles Cameron's The Fell Sword comes out in November, which is a couple of months ahead of the US release again.

They're also doing Republic of Thieves, Words of Radiance and Donaldson's The Last Dark. Big months for them.

The Age of Ice by J.M. Sidorova comes out late July.

Read it a couple weeks back. Great book.

Edit: Sorry, meant to add a description but got sidetracked.

An epic debut novel about a lovelorn eighteenth-century Russian noble, cursed with longevity and an immunity to cold, whose quest for the truth behind his condition spans two thrilling centuries and a stunning array of historical events.

St. Petersburg, Russia, 1740. The Empress Anna Ioanovna has issued her latest eccentric order: construct a palace out of ice blocks. Inside its walls her slaves build a wedding chamber, a canopy bed on a dais, heavy drapes cascading to the floor—all made of ice. Sealed inside are two jesters, one a disgraced nobleman, the other a humpback, a performer by birthright. On the Empress’s command—for her entertainment—these two are to be married, the relationship consummated inside this frozen prison. In the morning guards enter to find them half-dead. Nine months later, two boys are born.

Surrounded by servants and animals, Prince Alexander Velitsyn and his twin brother Andrei have an idyllic childhood on the family’s large country estate. But as they approach manhood stark differences coalesce. Andrei is daring and ambitious; Alexander is tentative and adrift. One frigid winter night on the road between St. Petersburg and Moscow, as he flees his army post, Alexander comes to a horrifying revelation: his body is immune from cold.

The Age of Ice by J.M. Sidorova comes out late July.

Read it a couple weeks back. Great book.

Edit: Sorry, meant to add a description but got sidetracked.

Sounds interesting, especially considering the name suggests author is an actual Russian, so there seems to be little danger of a Yellow Bule Tibia style embarrassment.

I wonder how immunity to cold can be considered a curse in Russia, though ;)

Sounds interesting, especially considering the name suggests author is an actual Russian, so there seems to be little danger of a Yellow Bule Tibia style embarrassment.

I wonder how immunity to cold can be considered a curse in Russia, though ;)

The immunity to cold is the most minor aspect of his "curse".

• 3 weeks later...

Thomas Pynchon to Publish New Novel -

Washington Post Book World fiction editor Ron Charles broke the news today (January 4, 2013) that novelist Thomas Pynchon will publish a new novel called Bleeding Edge this fall with Penguin Press.

http://www.mediabist...ew-novel_b63275

Release date and synopsis is up at Amazon -

Release date: September 17, 2013

Thomas Pynchon brings us to New York in the early days of the internet

It is 2001 in New York City, in the lull between the collapse of the dot-com boom and the terrible events of September 11th. Silicon Alley is a ghost town, Web 1.0 is having adolescent angst, Google has yet to IPO, Microsoft is still considered the Evil Empire. There may not be quite as much money around as there was at the height of the tech bubble, but there’s no shortage of swindlers looking to grab a piece of what’s left.

Maxine Tarnow is running a nice little fraud investigation business on the Upper West Side, chasing down different kinds of small-scale con artists. She used to be legally certified but her license got pulled a while back, which has actually turned out to be a blessing because now she can follow her own code of ethics—carry a Beretta, do business with sleazebags, hack into people’s bank accounts—without having too much guilt about any of it. Otherwise, just your average working mom—two boys in elementary school, an off-and-on situation with her sort of semi-ex-husband Horst, life as normal as it ever gets in the neighborhood—till Maxine starts looking into the finances of a computer-security firm and its billionaire geek CEO, whereupon things begin rapidly to jam onto the subway and head downtown. She soon finds herself mixed up with a drug runner in an art deco motorboat, a professional nose obsessed with Hitler’s aftershave, a neoliberal enforcer with footwear issues, plus elements of the Russian mob and various bloggers, hackers, code monkeys, and entrepreneurs, some of whom begin to show up mysteriously dead. Foul play, of course.

With occasional excursions into the DeepWeb and out to Long Island, Thomas Pynchon, channeling his inner Jewish mother, brings us a historical romance of New York in the early days of the internet, not that distant in calendar time but galactically remote from where we’ve journeyed to since.

Will perpetrators be revealed, forget about brought to justice? Will Maxine have to take the handgun out of her purse? Will she and Horst get back together? Will Jerry Seinfeld make an unscheduled guest appearance? Will accounts secular and karmic be brought into balance?

Hey. Who wants to know?

http://www.amazon.com/Bleeding-Edge-Thomas-Pynchon/dp/1594204233/

Weird. About the Wild Cards reissues:

Each volume is edited by and contains at least one story written by George R.R. Martin.

I thought GRRM's last Wild Cards story was in Inside Straight? Busted Flush, Suicide Kings and Fort Freak specifically do not have stories by GRRM in them. Weird marketing.

New blurb from The Black Guard by A.J. Smith:

The city of Canarn is burning. Its people huddle in the shadow of the citadel, as the king’s armies sack this final stronghold between Ro Tiris and the northern thains of Fjorlan.

With their father’s blood fresh upon the headsman’s sword, the last scions of the house of Canarn, twin siblings Lord Bromvy and Lady Bronwyn, are labelled Black Guard, shunned and hunted throughout the lands of Ro.

In the court of King Sebastian Tiris, men fear to speak their minds, for bloody accidents befall those who dare to question the king’s new advisors. They call them the Seven Sisters: each one a sorceress of the Karesian fire god; every one as beautiful, and as dangerous, as a flame.

And called from the long ages of deep time, the children of a dead god are waking with a single ultimatum.

ALL THAT WAS DEAD WILL RISE.

ALL THAT LIVES WILL FALL…

George R R Martin fans will have a new book for Christmas, with HarperVoyager releasing The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister :

The book was announced at HarperCollins' showcase of autumn titles to retailers, held on Wednesday evening (1st May).

The small, gift-format hardback title will gather together "clever and naughty quips" from the popular character from the A Song of Ice and Fire series, played in the HBO series by actor Peter Dinklage. It has been compiled by Martin's UK editor, HarperCollins publishing director Jane Johnson, and will be illustrated by caricaturist Jonty Clark.

The publisher noted that while the book is authorised by the novelist, no new material is anticipated for inclusion as Martin is "hard at work on the sixth and penultimate volume of the series, The Winds of Winter."

HarperCollins described it as "the perfect Christmas gift", quoting Tyrion: "My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, and I have my mind; and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge."

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/new-george-r-r-martin-christmas.html

Conn Iggulden's Wars of the Roses: Stormbird will be released in October 2013.

Wars of the Roses: the brand new historical series from Conn Iggulden - internationally best-selling author of the Emperor and Conqueror series.

King Henry V - the great Lion of England - is long dead.

In 1437, after years of regency, the pious and gentle Henry VI, the Lamb, comes of age and accedes to the English throne. His poor health and frailty of mind render him a weakling king - Henry depends on his closest men, Spymaster Derry Brewer and William de la Pole, Duke of Suffolk, to run his kingdom.

Yet there are those, such as the Plantagenet Richard, Duke of York, who believe England must be led by a strong king if she is to survive. With England's territories in France under threat, and rumours of revolt at home, fears grow that Henry and his advisers will see the country slide into ruin. With a secret deal struck for Henry to marry a young French noblewoman, Margaret of Anjou, those fears become all too real.

As storm clouds gather over England, King Henry and his supporters find themselves besieged abroad and at home. Who, or what can save the kingdom before it is too late?

http://www.penguinca...&imprintId=1118

Archived