The books coming out in 2013

Lord of Rhinos

Conn Iggulden's Wars of the Roses: Stormbird will be released in October 2013.

http://www.penguinca...&imprintId=1118

Oh God, I died a little on the inside when I read that.

I wonder if Richard III and Henry will grow up together on a farm. And I assume oh let's say Edward IV will be completely written out. And maybe Henry VI can will the battle of Azincourt with WWII bombers.

Looking over those Catalogs, I noticed a few things. Chris Willrich's debut, Scroll of Years, is due out on September 10th. Aimee Bender has a short story collection coming out in August called Color Master. Ben Dolnick's At the Bottom of Everything might or might not be SF, the same applies to Jonathan Lethem's new book Dissident Gardens. The Last Man Standing, an apocalypse novel translated from Italian, is receiving a lot of advance praise. Chuck Palahniuk's Doomed is out in October.

Curse of a Dark God (Dark God #2) by John Brown has a release date - August 2013 :

http://johndbrown.com/2013/05/news-curse-of-a-dark-god-has-a-release-date/

The Raven's Shadow (Wild Hunt, #3) by Elspeth Cooper - New blurb :

Three moons are rising.

They are rising over the Archen Mountains,where Teia struggles through the high,snowy passes to carry her warning to the Empire: the Nimrothi war band is poised to invade and at their head stands Ytha.She means to release the Wild Hunt - and with it Maegern the Raven,the Keeper of the Dead.

In the desert of Gimrael,the moons are rising over the fires of revolution - flames that have already robbed Gair of a friend and left him alone in a hostile city,unsure even if the Song is still his to command.He has one last duty to discharge,and then nothing will stand between him and his ultimate goal: vengeance.

And in the Nordmen's chilly halls,Savin plays out a game in which kings and chieftains and men are but pawns on a chessboard that spans the Veil itself.

Three moons are rising.When the trinity is complete,the endgame will begin.

Book Three of the series sees the action return to the mainland Empire as the deserts erupt into violence. Gair flees the flames of El Maqqam with one last duty to discharge before he is finally free to pursue his vengeance against Savin. Meanwhile, the Nimrothi war band advances southwards through the Archen Mountains, bent on reclaiming their ancient homeland with the help of Maegern the Raven, Keeper of the Dead.

Under a trinity moon, battle will be joined. Ytha and her war band, forty thousand strong, versus a scant legion of imperial infantry, a handful of Arennorian clansmen, and one damaged gaeden with nothing left to lose.

Game on.

Yeah, great to see that second John Brown book finally come out, that first book was enjoyed by quite a lot of people on forums from what I saw, but it's now been 4 years since that was published. So he is publishing a revised version of "Servant" with a longer ending in August, along with the second one, I 'll be getting both of those.

From Jo Fletcher Books :

Fearie Tales: Stories of the Grimm & Gruesome edited by STEPHEN JONES

Release date: 26th September 2013

In 1884 Margaret Hunt’s translation of the Brothers Grimm’s Kinder- und Hausmärchen was published as Grimm’s Household Tales – and since that day those stories have inspired writers, artists, poets, songwriters, playwrights and movie-makers the world over.

Now, following in the grand tradition of the Brothers Jacob and Wilhelm, some of today’s finest fantasy and horror writers have created their own brand-new fairy tales – but with a decidedly darker twist.

Fearie Tales is a fantastical mix of spellbinding retellings of classic stories such as ‘Cinderella’, ‘Rapunzel’, ‘Hansel and Gretel’ and ‘Rumpelstiltskin’, amongst others, along with unsettling tales inspired by other childhood classics, all interspersed with the sources of their inspiration: the timeless stories first collected by the Brothers Grimm.

These modern masterpieces of the macabre by Neil Gaiman, Garth Nix, Ramsey Campbell, Joanne Harris, Markus Heitz, John Ajvide Lindqvist, Angela Slatter, Michael Marshall Smith and many others, are illuminated by Oscar-winning artist Alan Lee, who has also provided the magnificent cover painting.

But be warned: this stunning volume of frightening fables is definitely not suitable for children!

The Scarlet Tides (The Moontide Quartet #2) by David Hair

Publication Date: 24 Oct 2013

The Moontide has come, and a scarlet tide of Rondian legions is flooding into the East, slaughtering and pillaging in the name of Emperor Constant. But the Scytale of Corineus, the source of ultimate magical power, has slipped through the emperor’s fingers.

His ruthless Inquisitors are desperately seeking the artefact, before it falls into the hands of those who would bring down the Empire. But there are some who have pledged to end the cycle of war and restore peace to Urte.

They are the unlikeliest of heroes: a failed mage, a gypsy and a lowly market-girl.

As East and West clash more violently than ever before, Urte will discover that love, loyalty and truth can be forged into weapons as deadly as swords and magic.

The Language of Dying by Sarah Pinborough

5th December 2013

A woman sits beside her father’s bed as the night ticks away the final hours of his life. As she watches over him, she relives the past week and the events that have brought the family together. There has never been anything normal about the people raised in this house, and the bonds that bind them are fragile.

Sitting through her lonely vigil, she remembers what she saw all those years ago, the thing they found her screaming for. And as she peers through the window, she finds herself hoping it will come again.

Because it’s one of those nights: a special, terrible night – and that’s always when it comes. If it comes at all…

John Brown terminated his contract with Tor? Good on him. Seems like Tor screwed him at pretty much every step of the process. Tor used to be my favorite publisher but lately it has seemed like they are responsible for one disaster after another.

Yeah, TOR is still recovering from that huge still-not-sure-what-happened-fuck-up from a few years back.

Although I've noticed all the TOR books I like tend to be stuff from the UK/Canada...

Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Weidenfeld & Nicolson) 26 Sep 2013 :

The novel Carlos Ruiz Zafon wrote just before THE SHADOW OF THE WIND; a cult classic in his native Spain.

'Fifteen years on, the remembrance of that day has returned to me. I have seen that boy wandering through the mist of the railway station, and the name of Marina has flared up again like a fresh wound. We all have a secret buried under lock and key in the attic of our soul. This is mine...'

In May 1980, 15-year-old Oscar Drai suddenly vanishes from his boarding school in the old quarter of Barcelona. For seven days and nights no one knows his whereabouts...

His story begins in the heart of old Barcelona, when he meets Marina and her father German Blau, a portrait painter. Marina takes Oscar to a cemetery to watch a macabre ritual that occurs on the fourth Sunday of each month. At 10 a.m. precisely a coach pulled by black horses appears. From it descends a woman dressed in black, her face shrouded, wearing gloves, holding a single rose. She walks over to a gravestone that bears no name, only the mysterious emblem of a black butterfly with open wings.

When Oscar and Marina decide to follow her they begin a journey that will take them to the heights of a forgotten, post-war Barcelona, a world of aristocrats and actresses, inventors and tycoons; and a dark secret that lies waiting in the mysterious labyrinth beneath the city streets.

http://www.orionbook...n=9780297856474

Yeah, TOR is still recovering from that huge still-not-sure-what-happened-fuck-up from a few years back.

We do know what happened. One of Tor's senior editors went through a stage where they completely lost track of what the hell was going on and they couldn't get back on top of it for about two years. The editor in question has basically been apologising about it ever since.

Although I've noticed all the TOR books I like tend to be stuff from the UK/Canada...

At least in the UK, Tor is a completely unrelated company. They use the same name and logo because of the reputation of the US publisher, but AFAIK they are not the same company and don't have any direct links between them.

We do know what happened. One of Tor's senior editors went through a stage where they completely lost track of what the hell was going on and they couldn't get back on top of it for about two years. The editor in question has basically been apologising about it ever since.

At least in the UK, Tor is a completely unrelated company. They use the same name and logo because of the reputation of the US publisher, but AFAIK they are not the same company and don't have any direct links between them.

I did not know either of these things!

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! BWA HA HA.

This August, Corvus is going to release the English translation of a very good epic fantasy trilogy by an Argentine writer: La Saga de los Confines by Liliana Bodoc. The first book is called The Days of the Deer. The setting is different from most fantasy series, most of the cultures you get to see resemble strongly the South American natives. I read it two summers ago and I enjoyed it a lot, the prose is very good, and there are some unexpected twists. You get to know the villains, the characters aren't black or white. It will be released as an ebook too.

not to try and sound like a jerk/ass/etc. But if I didn't do my job for two years I wouldn't have a job.

The only reason the editor has still gotten his job, I imagine, is because he's one of the best-known and most-respected in the business, Patrick Nielsen Hayden, who's been active in the field for decades (and at Tor for a quarter of a century) and this was a single - if rather lengthy - incident, apparently in part caused by his wife having a heart attack and several other major problems which resulted in him taking his eye off the ball. He was fairly honest and up-front about it here. Still harsh for those authors who ended up having books delayed for years because of it, like Ian Tregillis.

Hit the nail on the head, Wert. PNH has been very open about it and the fact that he is so well known and respected is probably the only reason he's still at Tor (let's be honest - if he'd been let go at Tor another house would have snapped him up in about 5 seconds).

That said, what happened was just awful. And the worst part is that authors like Tregillis basically had all of the oomph of their initial novels blow away in the wind without any fault of their own.

Archived