The books coming out in 2013

Lord of Rhinos

Is Dangerous Women confirmed for May 2013? Dunc and Egg 4 done ??

I remember GRRM saying on his Notablog that the book was done and that the date was his educated guess. Though to be honest, it's been a little while since I read that.

I remember GRRM saying on his Notablog that the book was done and that the date was his educated guess. Though to be honest, it's been a little while since I read that.

GRRM's most recent mention of Dangerous Women and the fourth Dunk and Egg novella was on October 25th; the novella wasn't done then, and therefore the book wasn't either, although he's said in the past that every story but his is now complete. If he doesn't get it finished soon, a May release is going to be a bit of a stretch.

GRRM's most recent mention of Dangerous Women and the fourth Dunk and Egg novella was on October 25th; the novella wasn't done then, and therefore the book wasn't either, although he's said in the past that every story but his is now complete. If he doesn't get it finished soon, a May release is going to be a bit of a stretch.

Just checked the NAB for Oktober 25th. D & E was indeed not done then. GRRM says in the comments that his contribution to the Poul Anderson tribute anthology isn't done either. This story was mentioned June,1st 2011 as before Dunk and Egg in the writing queue. The deadline for this story was actually 18 months ago and GRRM must probably finish this before D & E.

If the Doors of Stone comes out next year it'll definitely be number one on my list of things to read. It is a book that I'm honestly a bit nervous about and excited about. Which of course ends up being a pretty awesome way to look at a book. Excited because the series is great IMO blah blah blah. Nervous because he has so much material to cover in one book and if he still plans on doing the second present tense trilogy he has a lot of set up to do for Kvothe.

Not going to happen.

Huh. I must have been thinking about something else besides Dangerous Women then. Might have been the Old Mars anthology, though I thought that was a different release date.

Head of Zeus acquires life of 'Aragorn' -

Head of Zeus has acquired a non-fiction title which explores the life of a 7th-century warrior, said to be the real-life inspiration for J R R Tolkien's character, Aragorn.

Publishing director for non-fiction Richard Milbank bought world rights in Max Adams' The King in the North: The Life and Times of Oswald of Northumbria from Ian Drury of Sheil Land. The publisher described it as a "thrilling and rigorously researched recreation of the life of the seventh-century Northumbrian warrior-king who was the real-life inspiration for J R R Tolkien's Aragorn".

Milbank said: "This is a stunning piece of research into our early history: Max Adams rescues Oswald of Northumbria from Dark Age obscurity to reveal an unjustly forgotten English hero."

The hardback will be published in Summer 2013

http://www.theambuli....uk/?page_id=58

Jo Fletcher acquires 'zombie western' series -

Jo Fletcher has won an auction for World Rights to a trilogy, The Walkin’, by David Towsey from Sam Copeland at RCW. The first book in the series, Your Brother’s Blood, will be published in 2013.

David Towsey, 27, has an MA in Creative Writing from Bath Spa, and is continuing his studies as a PhD student at Aberystwyth University. He was nominated for a British Fantasy Society award for Best Short Fiction in 2008. He regularly reviews for critical journals, including the New Welsh Review and the BSFA’s critical journal,Vector.

Jo Fletcher said, ‘The agent described this as “a bastard post-apocalyptic cross between The Passage, The Sisters Brothers and Cormac McCarthy”, and was hugely excited. Normally I take that excitement with a pinch of salt – it’s an agent’s job to sell, after all – but the moment I started reading this unique zombie western I knew if was every bit as special as Sam had said, and thus perfect for Jo Fletcher Books, so we at JFB and Quercus are thrilled David’s joined us.’

http://www.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/news/new-acquisistion-for-jo-fletcher-books/

Blurb for Raymond E. Feist's Jimmy and the Crawler:

A new novella from the master of magic and adventure

The Crawler: a name whispered in fear...

In the crime-ridden back alleys of Krondor a rival gang has sprung up to threaten the Upright Man's Mockers. Does the Crawler control the rival gang? Where does his power come from? And does it threaten the peace of the Kingdom?

James, personal squire to Prince Arutha of Krondor, but in the underworld known as the thief and trickster Jimmy the Hand, must travel to Kesh in disguise. There, working with William, lieutenant of the prince's household guard and son of the magician Pug, and Jazhara, niece to the Keshian lord Hazara-Khan, he must attempt to unmask the mysterious Crawler and rid Krondor of his influence.

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/82164/jimmy-and-the-crawler-novella-edition-raymond-e-feist-9780007511280

Plot synopsis for Graham Joyce's The Year of the Ladybird:

It is the summer of 1976, the hottest since records began and a young man leaves behind his student days and learns how to grow up. A first job in a holiday camp beckons. But with political and racial tensions simmering under the cloudless summer skies there is not much fun to be had.

And soon there is a terrible price to be paid for his new-found freedom and independence. A price that will come back to haunt him, even in the bright sunlight of summer.

As with SOME KIND OF FAIRY TALE, Graham Joyce has crafted a deceptively simple tale of great power. With beautiful prose, wonderful characters and a perfect evocation of time and place this is a novel that transcends the boundaries between the everyday and the supernatural while celebrating the power of both.

I have never read Feist but something about that blurb really interests me. May have to give him a try.

I wouldn't suggest reading the two books that precede that one because they are, by far, the worst books he has written. Considering is later output, that is not at all a good thing.

I have never read Feist but something about that blurb really interests me. May have to give him a try.

If you do read Feist then I'd suggest avoiding anything published in the last decade, I liked his early book but they got increasingly bad over time. It's a shame because judging from the synopsis Jimmy and the Crawler could have been an entertaining book if he'd published it back before the decline in his career began, Jimmy was one of the best characters in the series.

THE HIGH KINGDOM BY PIERRE PEVEL (Gollancz) (Publication date: 21 Mar 2013) -

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/Books/detail.page?isbn=9780575107960

http://www.bragelonne.fr/rights/books/high-kingdom

The Book and the Sword trilogy by ANTOINE ROUAUD (Gollancz) (worldwide debut)

http://www.bragelonne.fr/rights/books/the-book-and-the-sword

Antoine Rouaud’s debut novel, the first of The Book and The Sword trilogy, will be published by Bragelonne (France), Gollancz (World English rights) and Heyne (Germany) in Spring 2013.

A new book for Game of Thrones fans will be published in April 2013: Amy Raby's Assassin's Gambit, volume one of The Hearts and Thrones Series. From the publisher's catalog:

A sexy debut romance series for fans of Game of Thrones from Golden Heart finalist Amy Raby

SALES POINTS

• A debut novel for Game of Thrones fans, who want a little more romance mixed in with their action-packed fantasy

Have we mentioned yet in this thread that Stephen King has a large new novel coming out in September, the sort-of-sequel to The Shining?

Synopsis sounds pretty good:

Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and spunky twelve-year-old Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.

A new book for Game of Thrones fans will be published in April 2013: Amy Raby's Assassin's Gambit, volume one of The Hearts and Thrones Series. From the publisher's catalog:

I don't think I'd be off the mark in saying that cover would do very little to pull fans of Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire to pick it up of the shelf and buy it.

These are being written and have a shot at publication in 2013

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (Southern Reach #1)

As some of you may already know from facebook or Publishers Marketplace, Farrar, Straus & Giroux has acquired my Southern Reach trilogy in a rather awesome six-figure deal. The first two novels are titled Annihilation and Authority, with the third probably called Acceptance. The novels will be published starting in 2014, with not all that much space between pub dates.

http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2012/11/20/my-three-novel-deal-with-farrar-straus-giroux/

A. J. Smith's debut novel The Black Guard will be published by Head of Zeus in Summer 2013.

The Black Guard is the first in a major new fantasy series, The Long War, set in an invented world somewhat similar to medieval Europe in terms of technology, heraldry and ethics. Magic features in the world, but is rare and mostly confined to the various priesthoods. The city of Ro Canarn has been assaulted by Knights of the Red. Amongst them is a Karesian Enchantress of the Seven Sisters, intent on manipulating the men of Ro to her ends. Her Sisters intend the assault to be the first move in a longer game, a war intended to destroy worship of the Gods of men and bring back the malevolent Forest Giant of pleasure and blood.

The young Lord of Canarn, and one of his closest friends, plan a desperate gambit to take back the city, whilst his sister journeys north and confronts more of the Sisters' schemes as they try to conquer the rest of the lands of men.

Divided by geography and surrounded by enemies, a disparate group of Clerics, Priests, Knights, criminals and warriors must defeat overwhelming odds to seize back the lands of men from those unknowingly under the sway of the Dead God and his Enchantresses.

Commissioning Editor Mathilda Imlah from Head of Zeus has acquired UK & Commonwealth rights to two novels in a debut British fantasy series by A. J. Smith, from Diane Banks Associates.

Head of Zeus will publish the first book in the series, The Black Guard, in the Summer of 2013.

Commissioning Editor Mathilda Imlah said: “Saturated with myth and with all the page-turning qualities we expect from our very best storytellers, in A. J. Smith I believe we may have finally found the British rival to Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time. Head of Zeus are deeply committed to making the series an international success.”

Diane Banks says: "When I finished reading The Black Guard I knew that A. J. Smith was set to be a household name. I feel that Head of Zeus are exactly the right publisher to build his brand and am very much looking forward to working with them on this and future series from this talented debut author".

Archived