Can someone explain the "Fake Aegon" theory for me, please?

Saci Targaryen

The very short version: everything connected directly to LF, Varys and Illyrio (in this case) is also connected to deception and treachery.

On the other hand it is difficult to believe that we are introduced to a guy named Aegon only to find out that he is fake later.

PS: I agree that something is fishy about Darkstar, but I can't really be sure for now.

There is a number of different fake Aegon theories. That said, my version (that Young Griff is really Aegon Mopatis-Blackfyre) is as follows:

It all starts a little more than 100 years before the books of ASoIaF. Aegon IV 'The Unworthy' Targaryen legitimizes all his bastards on his deathbed. One of these bastards, Daemon Waters, son of Aegon and another Targaryen, and called 'Blackfyre' for his possession of the Targaryen family sword, claims that Aegon's heir Daeron II is illegitimate. Instead he proclaims himself king. The Blackfyre rebellion fails and Daemon dies; but his children carry on the torch, lead by their half-uncle Aegor 'Bittersteel' Rivers, another one of Aegon's bastards, who founds the Golden Company to guarantee a standing army for the Blackfyres. Ultimately, about 40 years before the series begins, the Blackfyres are defeated when Barristan Selmy slays Maelys the Monstrous, the last male Blackfyre pretender.

But one female Blackfyre survives - Maelys' sister perhaps, or his daughter. Either way, this woman ends up in slavery in Lys, where she has two children. Both get educated as entertainment slaves - the daughter as a bed slave, the son as a mummer. But then the son gets castrated one day in Myr; and when he is released from his captivity, he meets a bravo; the two start their own criminal organisation and become increasingly successful at doing so, ultimately branching out to PentosThis allows for the former mummer to buy his sister's freedom and marry her to his best friend.

About around the time of that wedding, the mummer, having made a name for himself with his spying, is called to the Targaryen court in King's Landing, where he assumes the position of Master of Whisperers. He tries to sow dissent in the Targaryen family itself, hoping for a civil war so the Targaryen dynasty is weakened. Ultimately, he gets his wish; and fortune even hands him a greater gift: The Targaryen heir, a boy of one, was killed and disfigured beyond recognition by a certain Ser Gregor Clegane. The Spider informs his in-law in Pentos; and when soon after the former bravo and his Blackfyre wife have a child with Targaryen features, another plan occurs to them; perhaps, Serra died in childbirth, asking her husband to make sure her son would sit on the Iron Throne one day.

Either way, the two conspirators wait for a while, raising the child until he is about 5; then they entrust him to a known Targaryen loyalist exile, Jon Connington. The rest is pretty much spelled out directly in the books.

On the other hand it is difficult to believe that we are introduced to a guy named Aegon only to find out that he is fake later.

PS: I agree that something is fishy about Darkstar, but I can't really be sure for now.

Yea, i guess you´re right... but the Darkstar theory makes sense. He knows he is the Real Aegon, that´s why Doran calls him "the most dangerous man in Dorne."... because of the danger he carries with his identity. He knows he is the one true heir to the Iron Throne and all the lot of them are posers, thats why he is angry all the time and also why he looks like a Dragon Lord. Doran probably forced him to keep the secrecy over his real identity, which has been building resentment inside him, he is a steam pot ready to explode. That is also why he is of the night

There is also the Dany prohecy right? Mummers dragon

STOP! You´re leading me to believe Aegon is fake and the real dragon is Darkstar. I mean, "Darkstar is the most dangerous man in Dorne", why did you say that oh wise Prince Doran? You´ve been playing the game of Thrones for longer than most, why is Darkstar so dangerous? Darkstar is a big cliffhanger if you think about it, he is mentioned several times during the epilogue of aDwD, by Cersei and Kevan and the Small Council

Basically, the mot popular theor, due to people reading the Dunk and Egg series who know a lot more about the Blackfyres than people who have just read the ASOIAF stories have summized that Illyrio, Varys or Illyrios dead wife Serra were of Blackfyre descent and Aegon is actually Illyrio and Serras son. The fact that the Golden Company was formed by Blackfyres and has always supported Blackfyre rebellions also leads people to think there is something fishy. The line from Illyrio to Tyrion about why the GC is breaking their first contract ever is something along the lines of "some contracts are writ in blood."

Also, you have Dany and her prophecies at the HOTU and from Quaithe. The first being the cloth dragons vision she has and her referring to cloth dragons being mummers dragons, or something along those lines. Then you have Quaithe warning her of everyone coming to Mereen. The lion and the kraken, the griffin and the black flame, the suns son and the mummers dragon. The lion being Tyrion, the Kraken being Victarion, Griffin being Connington, black flame being Moqorro, suns son being Quentyn and finally the mummers dragon being Aegon.

The final thing, and in my opinion the most weak, is there is a story about an inn that is told to Brienne. The inn had a large metal black dragon sign, that is the sigil of house Blackfyre, that was torn down after a Blackfyre rebellion and was thrown into the river and ended up on the Quiet Isle, the sign was red with rust, but the rust can be removed to reveal a black dragon sign again. Which is meant to foreshadow Aeton being a black dragon being posed as a Red dragon, but if you remove the rust, the red dragon, it reveals he is actually a black dragon or a Blackfyre.

Also, the fact that a new heir to the throne, with the best claim, being introduced this late in the series is fishy to people. People not knowing what Varys and Illyrios motives is another thing people find strange. Mainly, it's just a lot of hints and clues pieced together into a theory that could very well be true. I'm not sure it is, I like to think he really is Aegon and him being a mummers dragon means he is Varys' piece in the game of thrones and that all of the prophecies and warnings are just the Warlocks and Quaithes way of getting Dany to leave her quest for Westeros and to bring her dragons to be used for their own motives.

I posted this in a similar thread a couple of months ago, and that's still my opinion on the matter:

OK, first of all, I have to say that I'm biased. My banners have been raised for Stannis since the start of the war, so I don't want to believe he's the real deal, but it's not just that. There is some evidence that points to him.

The switch

How did Varys know that Gregor was going to bash the baby's head in to make him unrecognizable? If Gregor hadn't done so, the supposed switched baby would have been recognized, because the Targaryens have some distinct features.

My take on this: Gregor killed the real baby Aegon, but since he smashed his head in, Varys saw this as an opportunity. He and Illyrio now claim to have saved the baby, which is very beneficial to them - they have a claimant for the Iron Throne. They lied to Lord Jon, who believed them because he hadn't seen the real baby.

The Golden Company

The Golden Company is a mercenary band formed by Bittersteel, a Blackfyre pretender who was exiled from Westeros. His goal was to return to Westeros and put a Blackfyre on the Iron Throne. After Bittersteel died, their new captain general was Maelys the Monstorous, the last Blackfyre pretender. After his death, they started taking contracts from the cities of Essos. They are one of the biggest mercenary companies in Essos, and have never broken a contract. During AFfC, we learn that they've broken their contract with Myr for no apparent reason. In ADwD, we learn that Illyrio has hired the Golden Company, and later we see the Golden Company swear fealty to Lord Jon and Young Griff. Why would they swear to fight for a Targaryen, when the Company, since it's formation has fought against Targaryens?

My take:

Maelys wasn't the last Blackfyre. Young Griff is his descendant. Illyrio and Varys learned of this, and wanted to use it in their advantage. They gave the boy to Lord Jon, who couldn't know if he was real or not, he hadn't seen the baby before. Illyrio was a middleman between Young Griff and the GC ( there are even theories that Illyrio is a Blackfyre himself ). So, learning that there was still a Blackfyre pretender, the GC broke their contract with Myr and started preparing for a war with Westeros like in the days of Maelys. And Illyrio says it himself: " Some contracts are writ in ink, and some in blood " .

And there are also some smaller pointers, which could be false, but are still worth looking at.

Quaithe warns Danny that there will be a " mummer's dragon " . The Blackfyre sigil is also a dragon, so she could be pointing to that or to someone who was " made " a dragon by Varys and Illyrio - the mummers.

Quaithe warns her not to trust any of these: The Kraken and the Dark Flame ( Victarion and Moqorro ) , the Lion ( Lannisters ), the Griffin ( Lord Jon ), the Sun's son ( Quentyn ) and at last, the mummer's dragon, Young Griff. If he's real why would Quaithe warn Danny to treat him the same way she would treat her enemies?

I posted this in a similar thread a couple of months ago, and that's still my opinion on the matter:

While everything you say is plausible, I ask you a few things. Since Varys is the master of whisperers, he probably had some idea Tywin gave orders to kill the royal family. He was the one who fought for Aerys to leave the gates closed. So formulating a plot to get a baby to replace Aegon cold have been drawn up over a few weeks or days leading up to the sack. It is easier to mistake a dead baby than it is a dead man or child and even if they did realize Aegon was not actually dead, Varys was already gone with him. So why wouldn't the master of whisperers know why Tywin was planning?

If there are truly no Blackfyres left and the Golden Company is mostly made up of exiled Westerosi families, why not back a Targaryen heir to the throne that is willing to give their lands back? It's their best hope, now, of returning home. Especially considering they were planning on meeting up with Dany and her Dragons as well. Maybe the contract writ in blood was written when Aegon was brought to Essos?

As for the other things, like Dany's visions and warnings. Everyone Dany met in Qarth had alterior motives to try and get er to give up her dragons. A lot of the things in the HOTU were to get Dany to stay and give them her dragons. Xaro clearly wanted at least one dragons of his own. Why would Quaithe be any different? She has been trying to get Dany to go to Asshai from day one. Why is she warning Dany about people that are coming to help her return to Westeros? Quentyn came offering the full support of Dorne, Tyrion comes with great knowledge of Westeros, Dragons and her enemies in Westeros, Connington comes with the Golden Company, Victarion comes with the Iron Fleet, Moqorro comes with knowledge of the dragon horn (admittedly, I find his shady) and Aegon comes as Varys' (a Mummer) choice for the Throne. He brings her, if real, the only other living link to her family and a possible dragon rider. Quaithe is the most shady to me of all of them, the fact that she seems so much a friend makes her the most venomous snake.

Based on what Rhaegar says to Elia in Dany's vision,the Dragon needs three heads. If you believe Jon is a Targaryen that makes Jon, Dany and Aegon the only choices of those three heads. Unless you believe that there are more secret Targaryens like Tyrion. Which is way more far fetched than Aegon being real.

` Hmmm, is there a rule that Saci must start multiple threads daily? Nothing personal, but it seems that this question can be answered by actually going to the thread about "fake Aegon" or "Faegon". This thread is absolutely not necessary. Just my two cents. Thank you.

` Hmmm, is there a rule that Saci must start multiple threads daily? Nothing personal, but it seems that this question can be answered by actually going to the thread about "fake Aegon" or "Faegon". This thread is absolutely not necessary. Just my two cents. Thank you.

my bad man, I have nothing else to do. sorry.

my bad man, I have nothing else to do. sorry.

Well, now I feel kinda bad. I posted on some of your threads, for instance the Rob Baratheon appreciation thread. So it's not personal. I just see you put out like two or three within minutes of each other and I'm like, "what!".

But seriously, with this one you could've just read the original thread. Again, I don't run the site so I can't tell you what to do. It was just a suggestion.

Edited for grammar.

I think Aegon is a fake, though not necessarily a Blackfyre. I have a few questions though.

Firstly, about the switch. Why would Elia die clutching Aegon's replacement and leave her daughter upstairs hiding under Rhaegar's bed?

Next, about one of the Stark's fathering Darkstar on Ashara. Why would a Stark/Dayne bastard be the most dangerous man in Dorne?

Finally, about Aegon being a Blackfyre. He has been declared as Rhaegar's son. If he's really a Blackfyre is the plan to win the kingdom and then reveal his true identity or to live out his days as Aegon? The latter seems a bit hollow from a Blackfyre point of view, as in they put a Blackfyre on the throne but all his subjects think he's Rhaegar's son.

Archived