LoneStarCon 2013

Bought my membership at the LoneStarCon table... so I will be there. Still trying to decide whether to get a dealer table. We have family connections in town so hoping to make a road-trip of it and have son and/or daughter-in-law to spell at table. Grandkids will be 2 and 4 by then... maybe old enough to tag along for some things. Certainly old enough for costumes.

On Sunday Sept 1st I will be giving people free chances to reach into the interdimensional coin bag to choose a random coin. "Choose and be known by your choice!" This time around we had Hobbit lads and lasses, riders of Rohan, bannermen of the Winterfell, supporters of Robert Baratheon, minions of the Dark Lord, reavers of the Iron Islands, knights of King Arthur's round table, Faceless Men, remnants of Leif Eiricsson's lost Vinland colony, Dothraki concubines, men of Dale, and subjects of Aegon Targaryen. Who knows what there will be next time!

so very tempting...

This might be a good place to repeat something I recently told another BWBer who was considering attending next year's WorldCon: Resisting temptation is highly over-rated. Honestly, what has it ever gotten anyone?!

Having said that, I wouldn't want to pressure anyone, as I know WorldCons are expensive. But for anyone who has the means, and is merely on the fence about it, I say embrace the temptation, you won't regret it!

Don't forget that it is always possible to transfer your membership to someone else, if you need to. I can't speak for everyone, but I've always been able to re-sell at the price I paid, so I've never lost money. I am sure this was helped by always being able to offer at an early bird price, even close to convention time! So if you can afford it, and you're just in that "well, maybe..." mode, I say buy buy buy!

For those of you who have never been to San Antonio, the Riverwalk has every kind of restaurant you could want, TONS of shopping, and it is fun to try to not fall into the water when you are drunk. This should be a blast.

(bold mine)

What could possibly go wrong?!?

Although, we were close to the river in Chicago, and none of us fell in, so maybe our luck is improving. Or our coordination. Lol!

This might be a good place to repeat something I recently told another BWBer who was considering attending next year's WorldCon: Resisting temptation is highly over-rated. Honestly, what has it ever gotten anyone?!

Having said that, I wouldn't want to pressure anyone, as I know WorldCons are expensive. But for anyone who has the means, and is merely on the fence about it, I say embrace the temptation, you won't regret it!

This post and your previous post are why I adore you. :love: But other travel plans for next year do not permit San Antonio. :(

Xray did tell me in Chicago that if you volunteer at a WorldCon they may reward you for it afterwards with actual money. Does anyone know if this holds true for San Antonio and London? (I'm tempted to acquire a temporary family member to get the family rate for London, but you might have to help me find evening childcare. ;) )

Xray did tell me in Chicago that if you volunteer at a WorldCon they may reward you for it afterwards with actual money. Does anyone know if this holds true for San Antonio and London? (I'm tempted to acquire a temporary family member to get the family rate for London, but you might have to help me find evening childcare. ;) )

Like Ser Scot, I got my membership cost fully reimbursed due to my volunteering time after Renovation. I think it comes down to how much money the people running the con have left at the end. I think they aren't trying to make a profit so they divide what is left up at the end.

Archived