LoneStarCon 2013

This post and your previous post are why I adore you. :love: But other travel plans for next year do not permit San Antonio. :(

Awww, right back at you, hon. :grouphug: :love:

And I am very sad you won't be in San Antonio. A mere smiley does not convey how much I am pouting about this.

The riverwalk looks pretty badass. Maybe we can have a BwB drunken party boat party one night.

We just aren't going to be happy unless one of us ends up in the river, are we? *hopes for balance, coordination and plenty of luck for all BWB

attending* ;)

ETA: Also, Mandy, it is awesome that you are going to do recon! This will be great!

I was fully reimbursed for my Membership at Renovention. The check came in February and was completely unexpected.

Like Ser Scot, I got my membership cost fully reimbursed due to my volunteering time after Renovation. I think it comes down to how much money the people running the con have left at the end. I think they aren't trying to make a profit so they divide what is left up at the end.

Useful to know. Thanks, both of you!

Awww, right back at you, hon. :grouphug: :love:

And I am very sad you won't be in San Antonio. A mere smiley does not convey how much I am pouting about this.

If the current plans don't pan out, I'll think about San Antonio, but can't promise anything. We'll send each other postcards, how's that? :grouphug:

I'll definitely be looking for a roommate situation for the convention, even being able to drive to San Antonio from Austin since the hotels are so damned expensive. We can totally fit 4 people into one room to cut down costs, though.

From the con site: "San Antonio Marriott River Walk

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.lonestarc...rriott.jpg[/img]The River Walk hotel is located in the heart of Downtown San Antonio near the top area attractions. The Marriott San Antonio River Walk has an ideal location next to the San Antonio Convention Center. The hotel's balconies feature some of the finest views of the River Walk in San Antonio, Texas."

I'm envisioning me and my store-bought liquor and mixers having dranks out on the hotel's balconies. I may have to check out these hotels for recon before deciding where I book.

Mandy - since you are in Texas you're officially appointed "area knowledge expert" and responsible for Recon. Or not - but I have a question anyway. From what I have seen there are a butt ton of hotels in the area, but none associated to the Convention center - anyone know if it is expected that one of the two hotels listed will be the "con hotel" or would another one be ID'd as that later? Can't make reservations yet, but my wife and I might be able to make use of a timeshare that is next to the center.

Yep. The hotels that will offer convention rates do not open up those blocks for booking until January. We'll be in touch with the concom to figure out which of the two hotels in the party hotel as well. And no, none of the official convention hotels is next to the convention center. Denver had a similar -- the party hotel was a couple of blocks away from the convention center. There were hotels closer to the convention center (GoN, CoC, daj and a few others stayed in that one) and we usually ended up in the bar of that one for informal meetups during non-party times. :)

It was the same in Melbourne - there was a hotel next to the convention centre, which had a decent coffee shop in which people could meet, and the party (or should that be "party"?) hotel was the other side of the river.

Yep. The hotels that will offer convention rates do not open up those blocks for booking until January. We'll be in touch with the concom to figure out which of the two hotels in the party hotel as well. And no, none of the official convention hotels is next to the convention center. Denver had a similar -- the party hotel was a couple of blocks away from the convention center. There were hotels closer to the convention center (GoN, CoC, daj and a few others stayed in that one) and we usually ended up in the bar of that one for informal meetups during non-party times. :)

Okie dokie. Reason I was asking is because my wife and I might be able to get a timeshare that is right next to the center - was thinking exactly what you said above, might be able to use it as "homebase" and not be kicked for being complete vagrants. Unless of course Coco goes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice, probably will buy my membership this week and get my flight booked!

Flight price was a little crappy. Anyone have recommendations on waiting to book a flight for rates to drop at T-minus 6 months or just doing it now?

Archived