LoneStarCon 2013

Cool, thanks! I found my name listed, so all is good.

Hopefully the hotel will open up soon. Anyone know if you can book using points or anything, or is it cash only?

I booked the Riverwalk a few weeks ago. Both points and cash were usable. What remains to be seen is if the negotiated con rate is lower. If so, I'll book that way and cancel the prior.

I booked the Riverwalk a few weeks ago. Both points and cash were usable. What remains to be seen is if the negotiated con rate is lower. If so, I'll book that way and cancel the prior.

Which is the party hotel? Last time I checked I couldn't book either Marriott, but I guess that was before it was 9 months out. Hopefully southwest's flights cover the dates soon too so I can go ahead and book that too...

Ok, you MUST let me party with you in Austin - I assume you're coming into Austin because, well, Austin is the most BADASS city in Texas and we know how to PARTYY!!!!

I'm so excited. I miss so many of you badly. It's been a couple years since I've gotten out now, huh? What was the last con I went to? Montreal? Gawd.

I've not been to a con since Montreal either. I'm really looking forward to it!

My friends Amber and Marcus live in Austin and we are all rooming together for the Con. She is sewing our wardrobe. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a friendly reminder that the membership rate increases on January 1st. So if you haven't bought your membership yet, there's no time like the present!

Admittedly, it's only going up another $20, but every little bit helps. And honestly, wouldn't you rather have that extra cash for drinking money?!

http://www.lonestarcon3.org/index.shtml

Do we know which is the party hotel? I want to book there so I don't have to walk to the other one in the middle of the dang night if I get in the wrong hotel. :)

Edit: Nevermind. After reading further, I see that the Big Marriott (San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter) is the party hotel. It is all spelled out in the first section here.

Have any of you guys gone to this before? I have in-laws in SA and the hubs and I are considering going but we aren't sure how big it is or what it's like? We already bought our tickets to SDCC in July so we weren't sure if that's one too many cons (is there such a thing?).

Is it on par with SDCC, as in waiting at 3am to get into panels and such? It would be pretty easy for us since we wouldn't have to worry about a hotel necessarily and airfare won't be too bad. We were always too tired at the end of the day for partying at the SDCC which is sad but true. But maybe it's different at other cons?

Also, San Antonio is really a fun city and you can get some of the BEST food ever there. Tex-Mex is heavenly, to my tastebuds anyway :)

Lady Olena--First, there is no such thing as too many cons!

if it's an easy trip for you, I would highly recommend checking it out. It's not a massive media con like SDCC or Dragoncon. I can't find the stats I was looking for, but I think the number of attending members is something in the 3-5,000 people range. So you don't have to line up for panels the night before or anything crazy like that. There can be a bit of a crush in the corridors or a wait for elevators during peak times--like when the Hugo awards or Masquerade let out.

Worldcon admittedly can be tiring because there are so many cool things to do and great people to hang out with. But you can do as much or as little as you like. If you want to party with the Bros until 3 am (or later) you can do that. Or if you want to turn in earlier so you can attend plenty of panels during the day, that is cool, too. The only problem, imho, is when you try to do all of the above! But this is why coffee was invented.

Thank you Regina!

I was worried it would be like the SDCC with the grueling lines for everything. I loved the SDCC but I don't know that I'd want to spend the money on airfare to spend hours in line at San Antonio. We mostly go to get the collectors exclusives and just enjoy the stuff and people that are there. And I'm thinking it would be a good way to get the trip to see the in-laws out of the way and not have to spend the entire time with them (I know, I'm awful, but my hubby would say the same about my family and he'd be right lol).

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think I'll be able to make this one, but London sounds intriguing ...

Okay,

We've got one opening in the room for Lonestarcon. Paedar, unfortunately, can't make it this year. Anyone else interested in shareing a room with Tycho, Dracarys, and me?

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

I am woeful and disjoyed at these turns of events.

Archived