LoneStarCon 2013

The rest of us would also be mad at you for leaving TheRedWoman behind! :whip:

Not that you would be foolish enough to do such a thing... :kiss:

are you saying I"m whipped? <sigh> thank god you know i'm not foolish

:wub:

Hurry up WorldCon!!!

Missing everyone. :frown5:

are you saying I"m whipped?

No, of course not. That was my feeble attempt to act intimidating, to demonstrate how upset I would be to not have TheRedWoman attending.

:wub:

Hurry up WorldCon!!!

Missing everyone. :frown5:

We're over the halfway mark now. We can do this! :grouphug: :kiss: :love:

Unfortunately, we don't know yet. USUALLY it's Friday and Saturday, but it will all depend on what night suites are available. I cannot remember the timetable -- I think maybe we won't know until June. But no matter what, Friday and Saturday are generally the biggest days for the BWB since a lot of the group can only make the con for the weekend.

I wouldn't get to excited about the BwB party. It's usually overcrowded and quite cliquish.

TannerSack, I'm sorry you had a bad experience at a BwB party. Many of these folks have known each other 10+ years, and are close friends. These events are some of the few times they get to see one another, and of course, it's a party, so everyone probably assumes you're there with someone, or know people. I am personally bad about talking to anyone that looks like they have a pulse, but some folks are a bit hesitant to talk to people they don't know.

I'm a n00b here and people have been great. I'm going to San Antonio and there will be lots of other n00bs there - we'd love to have you join us.

Don't let one bad experience ruin your opinion of the group, I guess is what I'm saying. :)

There is some excellent input from the others, but I would just like to add that sometimes what may look like cliquishness isn't intended that way. I personally don't always have the nerve to go up to new faces and introduce myself. That isn't a reflection on any of the cool people I have yet to meet, just my own comfort level at play. And this is coming from someone who has been attending 2-3 cons a year, and who often volunteers to help work the doors at BWB parties. It doesn't necessarily make sense, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels awkward about these things sometimes.

The parties can be very crowded, I admit, but sadly there is only so much one can do about that. But I assure everyone that every effort is made to get the largest suite available/within reasonable budget.

I wouldn't get to excited about the BwB party. It's usually overcrowded and quite cliquish.

I don't think you're being very fair here dude. By your own admission you don't like crowds and outside of the 3 of us you shared a room with in Chicago you didn't go out of your way to join in with other BWB stuff before the party. I invited you to come join us in the bar several times over the first couple of days of the con and you declined. Perhaps you were just being shy but there was no reason to be, you're a cool guy and you would have fit in just fine.

The thing about the BWB is that you get out what you put in. Just turning up to the party, keeping to yourself and not getting involved is going to result in you having a bad experience. You don't post on the board much and very few people around here know who you are. At parties people do tend to talk to those that they know. That's not cliquishness, that's just human nature.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy the party and maybe the overcrowded nature of it wasn't for you. That's fine, but I don't think you really gave it a fair crack.

Tannersack and other possibly shy people: Please come stand by me. I will talk your ears off and you will wind up wanting to eat your head. You will pray for solitude. :P

Seriously, though...give it another shot, or not. I'm sure you have a lovely life and plenty of friendships already, but I can always use another friend.

Consider yourself 'friended' and in a clique now. :). And boiled leather is also in this clique and has not kicked me out in spite of my poor taste in coffee.

And boiled leather is also in this clique and has not kicked me out in spite of my poor taste in coffee.

Huge tangent from rest of thread:

How do you feel about an educational coffee date at some point during the con? By "date" I mean we abduct you and drag you to whatever Boiled Leather says is the best coffee joint around. But it will be the kindest and most gentle form of abduction, I promise to bring you back to the hotel safe and sound. Possibly over-caffeinated, but you can't have everything! :drunk:

ETA: I don't want to appear like I am forming a coffee clique, so I want to explain that this tangent was necessary because it pains me to learn anyone is still drinking *gasp* instant coffee in this day and age.

Huge tangent from rest of thread:

How do you feel about an educational coffee date at some point during the con? By "date" I mean we abduct you and drag you to whatever Boiled Leather says is the best coffee joint around. But it will be the kindest and most gentle form of abduction, I promise to bring you back to the hotel safe and sound. Possibly over-caffeinated, but you can't have everything! :drunk:

I would adore a coffee date but we must include The Red Woman. I am askeered that you and boiled leather will have me shooting espresso or something. RW is a gardener and has metal pigs; ergo, she will gentler. :P

You and BL will be proud of me, though...I have a coffee grinder coming and am purchasing some beans this weekend. And I'm now drinking the Starbucks blonde brand that you guys recommended.

I feel sure I will avoid hipster-ism as long as I continue to listen to Merle, Elvis and co.

I would adore a coffee date but we must include The Red Woman. I am askeered that you and boiled leather will have me shooting espresso or something. RW is a gardener and has metal pigs; ergo, she will gentler. :P

This reminds me (still on huge tangent) that I owe some people coffee beans.

Somewhat back on track, this thread makes me sad that I'll not be in San Antonio, short of a massive lottery win.

TheRedWoman's presence would be a given...not that I have, you know, asked BL or TRW about this yet. I simply assume that mutual love of coffee will bring a group together, lol.

And I will have you know I am VERY gentle! I have been told I totally fail to intimidate, and I am only a Moderate Member of the Feminist Militia because I was too kind to the menfolk we were supposed to grind under our heels.

/end threadjack

Somewhat back on track, this thread makes me sad that I'll not be in San Antonio, short of a massive lottery win.

We have over 5 months for that lottery win! If not, I will haz sad. But, worse case scenario, I promise to send you a postcard and MANY pictures.

This reminds me (still on huge tangent) that I owe some people coffee beans.

Can't you resort to a life of crime? I'm dying to meet you IRL. :)

TheRedWoman's presence would be a given...not that I have, you know, asked BL or TRW about this yet. I simply assume that mutual love of coffee will bring a group together, lol.

And I will have you know I am VERY gentle! I have been told I totally fail to intimidate, and I am only a Moderate Member of the Feminist Militia because I was too kind to the menfolk we were supposed to grind under our heels.

/end threadjack

Okay, Regina. But you know, it's the 'gentle' folks you have to watch... :uhoh:

Can't you resort to a life of crime? I'm dying to meet you IRL. :)

Me too, but I'm not allowed to go to jail or die. This limits my criminal prospects somewhat.

Speaking of which, if you get caught pissing on the Alamo memorial, they will arrest you and they're really not happy with you. Tip #1 for what not to do in San Antonio while drunk.

I have never been to a con, but I traveled to London from Florida last October and posted here to see if by any chance anyone wanted to get together. Long story short, 21 of us were at a pub eating, drinking, and laughing. I knew no one and no one knew me and they still did that for me. Pod even flew in from Dublin. I found these people to be wonderful and funny and embracing. I stand by the BwB. They are awesome.

back to the threadjack, I have changed the Redwoman's life re: coffee. Even she realizes that her family servers Crap. My family will buy Peet's knowing that I'm coming (for which my brother will also benefit)

coffee 101. Time to research the area.

Archived