LoneStarCon 2013

Hey, folks. I'm running the Exhibits Division for LoneStarCon 3 with Patty Wells, and we're looking for some help on setting up the exhibit hall. If you'll be in town on Tuesday or Wednesday, or could even stop by before noon on Thursday, we would greatly appreciate some help. We intend to provide pizza for folks working, so if you could email us at [email protected], we can hopefully be sure to have enough. Volunteers who work enough hours are eligible for getting their memberships reimbursed (should the con finish in the black), and move-in/move-out hours count double for that purpose (I'm not seeing the exact number readily to hand, but there's a free t-shirt at 15, or 8 MI/MO).

We've got a lot of cool stuff to set up in the hall, and it takes all sorts -- folks to lift and carry, folks to check inventories, folks to set things on tables and in display cases with their proper labels. Perhaps of special interest to y'all, we've arranged with HBO to have the Iron Throne like Renovation did in 2011. Thanks in advance to those who can help, and to any who are coming.

wmbuff,

I should be free Thursday morning and would be happy to help out. The bros (BWB) here can always be counted on to help out.

On volunteering...

All members, including staff and volunteers can participate in pulling all the final pieces together. Even a couple of hours will be useful and appreciated!

We are especially looking for help with pre-con set up beginning with the Art Show and Exhibits.

Set up will begin about Noon on Tuesday, August 27th.

Pick up your Move-In/Move-Out (MIMO) badge at the Volunteer table in the West Registration Lobby of the Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center (HBGCC). That sticker will give you access to 'behind the scenes'. If you can’t come that early, please come after you get settled in. We expect to need help until 9:00 p.m. on both Tuesday and Wednesday.

What & When:

Tuesday, August 27th (beginning at Noon):

· Set up and then hang the art work in the Art Show

· Set up and stage (and be among the first to look at) the
VERY EXCITING
exhibits

Wednesday, August 28th: We’ll start set up at 8:00 a.m. and work until 9:00 p.m., or until we are done if we finish earlier.

We will be working in the evenings. You may want to work a few hours and then rest, eat dinner and come back again for more. If you can, please do!

Some of the Art Show work requires putting panels together; we also have light weight jobs such as unpacking and hanging art. Exhibits will have lighter work that will start a little later.

You don't have to be a 'regular' volunteer as LoneStarCon3’s Chairman has said “We are all volunteers!” An alternative to increase your fun is to recruit a partner and work together with one doing the light work and the other doing the heavier work. If you are new to Worldcons or don’t know anyone else, please let Volunteers know and we’ll pair you with another volunteer.

It would be awesome to have the Exhibit Hall completely ready on Wednesday, but if not -- we will start on Thursday morning, August 29th at 8:00 am. Our goal is to be finished in time for the Dealers' Room opening at noon. If everyone that came to San Antonio early would give at least a couple of hours it could be done.

Any work that you do before Opening Ceremonies will count for double hours. After we get all the pieces in place, you can decide where you would like to help during the convention. If you are already on staff - THANK YOU!

If you have not yet signed up as a Volunteer or staff member, it is not too late. Let the Volunteers staff know where you would like to work or what kinds of things you enjoy. We will be happy to find a spot just right for you!

If you are interested in getting up close and personal with some of the Pros in attendance you can help with the Kaffeeklatsches or Autographing sessions.

You can peruse the program guide first and pick out the things you REALLY want to see or do and then come and let the Volunteers office know what you would like to do in your 'spare' time.

Please email us at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Anyone coming in early and that would like to stay at a inn on the night August 28th near the convention I have a double bed room at the Red Roof Inn Riverwalk for cheap. I booked it for a total of $90(tax included), anyone interested would only have to pay $45 for there share. I try to be incredibly respectful of space and quiet so it should be a good way for someone to go on the cheap.

11 days and a few hours as I write this, and all the action will be at LoneStarCon3.

Must admit I'm finally getting a bit excited about going; I've done a lot of traveling this year and have felt a bit worn out by all the prep and travel and returns to piles of work, mail, and, of course, my eternal bane, the Laundry Monster.

LSC3 has jumped the gun a bit, so I'll just confirm that yes, HBO is sending the Iron Throne once more to WorldCon. It'll be in the Exhibit area, so bring your camera and best duds and a few friends to pose for photos.

We'll not only have the excellent new t-shirts designed by our very own Raya Golden, but some other trinkets and ribbons to help fundraise for the parties and for the Bros good-deed doing at WorldCon. I'm packing up a couple of boxes of donations of all sorts for the Bros fundraising, as well as for the LSC3 volunteer goodies pool. Yes, that's right, you volunteer for LSC3, you get tickets that can win you books, t-shirts and all sorts of other goodies.

There's 4 different ribbons for badges, at least one will be available at the beginning of the convention, one will be available first at the Friday Bros party. The other two will be released by whim. We also have a pin button of the classic Bros design and an enameled pin of the House and Black design that will look snappy on shirt, badge or hat.

Oh, yeah;

HBO is sending a person to accept the Hugo if Blackwater wins.

Nope, not telling youse guys. Sorry. Not yet. There's always a chance that schedules may change and the person who is invited might have to cancel and another person will step in at the last moment. But the person who is currently the designated acceptor is someone I've met, and I can assure you will be a real delight to have with us to share the weekend.

So, see ya soon, and watch this thread, I may be able to give you all more info about the plans for the weekend and more about our mystery guest from HBO before we pile into the Prius and head out to San Antonio.

anybody going out to a micro-brew for lunch sometime?

There will be a Puerto Rican on the Iron Throne then!!!! I am so very excited to do this. As a middle aged Mom it never in a million years occurred to me that I would be in the company of such wonderful people. I am so looking forward to meeting more Brothers (and Sisters). See you all soon. Great news, Parris!!!!

Hey folks

George has posted his schedules for events at Bubonicon and WorldCon, and I can finally tell you all what I've been keeping quiet for weeks now:

Rory McCann is coming to WorldCon as the HBO acceptor if Blackwater wins.

He's a wonderful man, I really enjoy his company.

And the note I got from him a couple of weeks ago included his promise to wear his best kilt for the Hugo awards ceremony.

Hey, folks. I'm running the Exhibits Division for LoneStarCon 3 with Patty Wells, and we're looking for some help on setting up the exhibit hall. If you'll be in town on Tuesday or Wednesday, or could even stop by before noon on Thursday, we would greatly appreciate some help. We intend to provide pizza for folks working, so if you could email us at [email protected], we can hopefully be sure to have enough. Volunteers who work enough hours are eligible for getting their memberships reimbursed (should the con finish in the black), and move-in/move-out hours count double for that purpose (I'm not seeing the exact number readily to hand, but there's a free t-shirt at 15, or 8 MI/MO).

We've got a lot of cool stuff to set up in the hall, and it takes all sorts -- folks to lift and carry, folks to check inventories, folks to set things on tables and in display cases with their proper labels. Perhaps of special interest to y'all, we've arranged with HBO to have the Iron Throne like Renovation did in 2011. Thanks in advance to those who can help, and to any who are coming.

Thanks for the post. Mr. X and I should already be signed up for setting up the Exhibits/Art Show. But I'll drop you guys a note later today to make sure. :)

I will also be making a separate thread about volunteering, etc. I'll make sure to include this info.

Thanks for the post. Mr. X and I should already be signed up for setting up the Exhibits/Art Show. But I'll drop you guys a note later today to make sure. :)

I will also be making a separate thread about volunteering, etc. I'll make sure to include this info.

I'll add to that new thread about the need for people to help us setup and tear down across the con. I'm doing some support work for the Access services and we need people to help set up and move all the mobility devices into the convention center on Wednesday and to return them on Monday to the loading dock.We may also ask for people to help us check the function rooms and make sure that the HA reserved areas are still marked with the signs and marked spaces every morning. More on that when we get that thread going.

And I'll remind folks once again that we'll be donating items to the volunteer goodies pool.

We still have two memberships to donate to folks who just need a little help to be able to attend the WorldCon.

This is great news Parris! Not sure how long Rory will be in town, but hopefully, he will be able to raise a glass with us one night. :cheers:

If work allows, I may attend both Friday and Saturday (originally going to be just one day). If I'm able to, I'll have to stay someplace beside the Rivercenter to make the finances work. I'm not familiar with the amount, location and cost of parking around the convention center, so if anyone knows, let me know.

Thanks.

NEVERMIND...I found info at the con website regarding parking.

Scott everyone has different reasons for supporting bids; after 39 years of WorldCons, for me it's all about the committee and the facilities before any other considerations. Orlando in August thru Labor Day at a Disney resort isn't my idea of a good time. But I hope you support your choice; the winning bid always needs the cash raised by the site selection fee and the people who are on the bid you choose will appreciate the validation of getting your vote.

Why we're voting for Helsinki in 2015:

http://grrm.livejour...com/333932.html

Parris, thanks to you and George for posting this. I was planning to next week ask your advice for voting. Suspected that KC would be it for voting at Loncon based on previous conversations, but this year's vote had me stumped as to which might be the best for fandom. Based on the displays and conversations at the parties, all three appeared to have merit, but none stood out based on my rather limited experience. By the way, I saw someone next to me reading A Dance with Dragons on the New Jersey Transit train on the way home from work last week. He saw me glance at the book, so I mentioned that the book looked interesting. Then I got a two or three minute explanation on how great the series was. ;-)

Archived