Darrio Naharis cast- Ed Skrein

tyrions sliced nose

Daario was fair and Jorah was swarthy, and Jorah is even westerosi. So Daario was fair compared to Westerosi standards. Since they cast a white actor, I don't see how that's racism.

I never said it was. I said that having such a heavily white cast and using the 'it's about preserving the lore of the world!' excuse is racist.

I never said it was. I said that having such a heavily white cast and using the 'it's about preserving the lore of the world!' excuse is racist.

I still don't see how that's racism. If they want to preserve the lore of the world, then let them. If they shunned black people, that would be racism, but they're not. Xaro is pale like milk originally, but in the show he's black.

In the few pictures I've seen of him, he looks like the bad boy who could do bad things to you. :leer:

Better yet, bad things with you. :leer:

Daario's physical appearance is a big part of Dany's attraction for him, although they connected on other levels, too. GRRM is the matchmaker, he thought up Khal Drogo, then he thought up Daario. I'll go with his vision, that's why I read the books, and that's why I watched the show (hoping to see his vision there, too).

Here's the description again:

Daario was fair where Jorah was swarthy; lithe where the knight was brawny; graced with flowing locks where the other was balding, yet smooth-skinned where Jorah was hairy...

His hands were large and strong, and there was something in his hard blue eyes and great curving nose that suggested the fierceness of some splendid bird of prey...

Dany found herself stealing looks at the Tyroshi when her captains came to council, and sometimes at night she remembered how his gold tooth glittered when he smiled. That and his eyes. His bright blue eyes...

Dany loved the way his gold tooth gleamed when he grinned. She loved the fine hairs on his chest. She loved the strength in his arms, the sound of his laughter... "You are beautiful," she blurted as she watched him don his riding boots and lace them up...

Really? Not hot?

Well that's always a question of taste.

Girls on Facebook generally thought him superhot.

Meh, he's just not my type. I suppose he could grow on me, but if they put Daario's hair/beard/clothes on him, then probably not. I hope he's a good actor though.

It seems fairly pointless to utilise the book comparison of Jorah and Daario, Iain Glen is certainly not swarthy or dark haired! I had always thought that Dany's attraction to Daario was due to his attitude, not necessarily his looks. However it might be interesting to consider that Dany lingers of his features in a similar way to how others linger over her's - pale skin, light eyes, distinctive hair etc. It is this incongruous combination of features, according to either side of the Narrow Sea, which makes them distinctive...Nonetheless, I would much rather they cast according to ability than appearance, especially in the case of this character where make up and/or prosthetics and costume will play such an important part.

I'd rather have diversity for the sake of diversity than racism for the sake of 'following the lore of the world'.

I'd rather have diversity for the sake of diversity than racism for the sake of 'following the lore of the world'.

That argument does not really make sense. They are just trying to recreate the atmosphere of the books. Would you have been happier if they cast characters completely randomly, so that you might get every single ethnicity in Westeros? I think it would have lost some of the medieval feeling then.

That argument does not really make sense. They are just trying to recreate the atmosphere of the books. Would you have been happier if they cast characters completely randomly, so that you might get every single ethnicity in Westeros? I think it would have lost some of the medieval feeling then.

There were people of colour living in medieval europe, so no, it would not have lost some of the "medieval feeling".

There were people of colour living in medieval europe, so no, it would not have lost some of the "medieval feeling".

So in other words you could find a lot people of color working as farmers, fishermen or maybe knights in France, The Holy Roman Empire (Not going to bother writing all of the different states) or maybe Poland? No, I did not think so. But of course, it does not matter. If you feel that it would not affect your experience, then good for you. But in the end it’s more about your preference to get more people of color in the series. And I am sure you will get some more.

Looks like I was right all along. That they would cast a no-name for Daario, and they did.

I think the point is that since they themselves specified in the casting calls that they wanted any race but Caucasian, it's disappointing that they seem to have backtracked.

I think one of their biggest problems is the accent. There just aren't that many actors of color with the right accent or can do the right accent. Whoever they got to play Xaro last season they should have saved for Jalabhar Xho or another character in the books who is actually dark skinned.

• 1 month later...

Archived